• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Jojo's Mojo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GVman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I almost never read manga (for a number of reasons), but I still enjoy this column, and always learn a lot from it.

I think I watched the first 4 episodes of David's JoJo, but dropped it due to time constraints and testosterone poisoning. I started in again with Stardust Crusaders (mostly so I could finally get all the Stand jokes from that Gintama arc) and am having enough fun with it that, along with the nudge from this article, I will probably go back and fill in the first season.

Anyway, thanks for the interesting articles! Smile

What does that mean?
UkiyaSeed

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:15 pm Reply with quote
> Picking Jotaro over superior Joseph

What is wrong with you?

Anyway, great article. Also hoping that Viz will license the other JoJo parts.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

testosterone poisoning

I always find this phrase kind of hilarious when used in moments like these. Does that mean that there's an opposite equivalent called "estrogen poisoning"?

Chick flick
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Ever since I learned the story behind the non-distribution of the 2007 PHANTOM BLOOD movie I've found that tale bizarre, even a little scary. That happened less than ten years ago. Does this mean no one - no one in all of Japan - took it upon themselves to do a cam-rip of the film, or similarly, no one who actually handled physical copies of the movie managed to make their own for safekeeping? I can believe that happening in the 90's or earlier, even early 00's, but barely seven years ago? If Hirohiko Araki were head of the NSA Edward Snowden would be in Gitmo with electrodes attached to his unmentionables while listening to Justin Bierer's greatest hits right now.

ukiya_seed wrote:
> Picking Jotaro over superior Joseph

What is wrong with you?

Anyway, great article. Also hoping that Viz will license the other JoJo parts.

Signature Line? One can dream.
momogoldfish

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Anton Chigurh wrote:
Ever since I learned the story behind the non-distribution of the 2007 PHANTOM BLOOD movie I've found that tale bizarre, even a little scary. That happened less than ten years ago. Does this mean no one - no one in all of Japan - took it upon themselves to do a cam-rip of the film, or similarly, no one who actually handled physical copies of the movie managed to make their own for safekeeping? I can believe that happening in the 90's or earlier, even early 00's, but barely seven years ago? If Hirohiko Araki were head of the NSA Edward Snowden would be in Gitmo with electrodes attached to his unmentionables while listening to Justin Bierer's greatest hits right now.

As his photographs throughout the ages prove, Araki is immortal (and possibly a fairy, if you believe Gintama), and I don't think many people wants to upset an immortal. Wink
Levitz9

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:51 am Reply with quote
I don't think I can ever fully describe how happy I am that the JoJo anime is doing as well as it is. I've spent years trying to get my friends into reading JoJo. They flocked to it when Phantom Blood came out.

Thank you, Studio David. Thank you.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The show is capped beautifully each episode by a different 90-second selection of the 1970s progressive rock hit “Roundabout” by Yes, a song that Araki listened to obsessively while working on the first several volumes of manga in the 80s.

... and the only name he apparently didn't steal? Just reading the names make me want to ... no, not dance... call the Police.

"Loggins", "Messina", "Wham","Robert E O Speedwagon". Good god, what a... The power of lame is strong in this series so I'd have to take it on credit that reading a series about a line of men {guess what that means!} versus an immortal vampire {guess what that means!} that Jojo's Bizarre Adventure {and the adventure continues.. always...} is a victory of style over substance.

Too bad for me that I like both and when I have to choose, I'm going "substance".

Quote:
Just go with it.

True. I guess it's not bad, not good just long. And seeing how this article is about asserting its growing foreign popularity and not about it being good, just long, it's an appropriate reaction.

"What is it? Is it any good?"
It's long.
ZanathKariashi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:00 am Reply with quote
If you'll notice, the majority of anime has theme named characters, provided they didn't get Macekre'd.

Music is a surprisingly deeply ingrained aspect in Jojo's nearly everything is either related to or directly taken from the name of a band/song/album.

Especially true of Killer Queen, who is a literal ball of references to Queen as well as the songs it and it's attacks are named after.

And worthy of some praise, Jojo does try to at least explain nearly every aspect of it's craziness using real science/theoretical disiplines (even if the results are sometimes heavily exaggerated, such as Dio's freezing ability).
vanfanel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:38 am Reply with quote
Add me to the chorus of Joseph > Jotaro voices.

Granted, there's still a ways to go in Stardust Crusaders, so Jotaro has plenty of time to grow a personality. But Joseph was and still is all kinds of awesome.

I've recently been renting my way through the OVAs, and am about up to the point where the TV show is right now. The two versions do make for an interesting contrast, but so far I'm preferring the OVAs to the TV version of this storyline. The streamlining of the plot works well, and the OVA art is really, really nice.
DLH112

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:44 am Reply with quote
"his was from an era when anime nerds like me would pretty much by any video game"
buy not by
Shory

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:36 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Wait, that Jojo manual image is legit?

You expected the manual image to be legit, but it was me, Dio!
kamui85

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:05 am Reply with quote
My fandom just began when the 2012 series began, i then devoured the ova, and the 4th arc of the manga instantly. just this past week i cosplayed ad jojolion at my local Con. wished i knew hoe to upload pics.... but yeah its that fun.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:13 am Reply with quote
Shory wrote:

I honestly would've headdesked if that was legit. I understand that some people like their memes and all but to put one in an official commercial release of this game would've been just...dumb.

Mike, I can't really agree with you on Jonathan being dull. Sure, he is not big on attitude as his descendants but it doesn't mean he was a bad fighter. Apparently, if you look closely, Jonathan was more of an "extreme gentleman" who would take his gentlemanly attitude to a ham-fisted level of Shakespeare. By that viewpoint, I find Jonathan to be hilarious. Laughing

That said, I, for one, am glad that Jojo is finally getting the exposure it deserves. The anime series has really skyrocketed the franchise's popularity and I can only see it getting bigger. Smile
GVman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Quote:
The show is capped beautifully each episode by a different 90-second selection of the 1970s progressive rock hit “Roundabout” by Yes, a song that Araki listened to obsessively while working on the first several volumes of manga in the 80s.

... and the only name he apparently didn't steal? Just reading the names make me want to ... no, not dance... call the Police.

"Loggins", "Messina", "Wham","Robert E O Speedwagon". Good god, what a... The power of lame is strong in this series so I'd have to take it on credit that reading a series about a line of men {guess what that means!} versus an immortal vampire {guess what that means!} that Jojo's Bizarre Adventure {and the adventure continues.. always...} is a victory of style over substance.

Too bad for me that I like both and when I have to choose, I'm going "substance".

Quote:
Just go with it.

True. I guess it's not bad, not good just long. And seeing how this article is about asserting its growing foreign popularity and not about it being good, just long, it's an appropriate reaction.

"What is it? Is it any good?"
It's long.

The series is quite good, and you're missing out by not checking it out. Apart from it being just plain ol' fun 100% of the time, Araki has some neat things to say about life that crop up and his art is amazing. The series is long, but it works because it's almost entirely character-driven rather than plot driven. And I would much rather read or watch something about an interesting set of characters rather than something that tries to hook me with a plot that promises big payoffs that are ultimately disappointing. JoJo's is the kind of work I can take at face value completely seriously and never question it. Throughout much of the series, no matter how much Araki changed his art, it still harkens back to works like the Iliad and Romance of the Three Kingdoms. I feel like we're greatly lacking in works like this today, and JoJo's fills that void while simultaneously having great art, great fights, and some neat things to say about life.

tl;dr: read it.
Shory

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:47 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Shory wrote:

I honestly would've headdesked if that was legit. I understand that some people like their memes and all but to put one in an official commercial release of this game would've been just...dumb.

I agree, but I couldn't stop myself from saying something about it regardless.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3