• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Color Me Surprised

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:36 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Fist of the North Star DID get another chance, you can buy all 4 boxsets containing the whole series for a very reasonable price.

Also, Brian's right, FUNimation gave a VERY GENEROUS chance with Case Closed. Releasing Seasons 4 and 5 in 26-episode sets for $50 MSRP right off the bat is the best episode/price ratio an initial release (key word is "initial", before someone gets confused) has gotten from FUNimation, or heck probably any anime company for that matter. Add 6 movies, and any griping is just ridiculous. Not to mention FUNimation has hinted more of the movies (not TV series, that's over) might be licensed as movies 1-6 sold fairly well.
Is no one not looking at the fact that in the beginning FUNimation was releasing Case Closed in DVD singles during the time? How can a company suspect a long running series to sell well by releasing it through singles. I heard FUNimation started skipping episodes on the single DVDs also. After releasing a certain amount of episodes on the singles, they went onto releasing single DVDs that contained the episodes that weren't shown on TV. Anyways, it's great that it actually had a chance to be aired on TV, but I'm also sure that a bad time slot didn't help the series at all. FUNimation overall just did a decent job with this series. Not outstanding. Not terrible. Just decent.

I do admit, releasing those box sets that contained a minimum of 25 - 27 episodes for a good cheap price was good (It's just seems like not enough people took advantage of it). Mad

Melanchthon wrote:
Well. Osaka, Canada, what's the difference? I, for one, can't tell them apart. They're both famous for their comedy and their funny way of talking.
It's still the fact that both Shinichi (Jimmy in the dub) and Heiji (Harley in the dub) lived in two separate places. One lived in Osaka and the other in Tokyo. Shinichi is the detective of the east and Heiji is the detective of the west. There are several times in the series where Heiji wants Conan to come visit Osaka so Conan can try some of the food that's in Osaka.
Scormio

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I apologize if someone else posted this, but I didn't see anyone post it. Since someone was talking about color stuff...

http://www.yenpress.com/2009/01/november-2011/

Yen Press is releasing a High School of the Dead full color omnibus in November
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Reaper gI wrote:

As I mentioned the US first editions do have them. Not sure about Viz, none of the manga I have from them had colour pages originaly.

Actually, I just went and checked my copy of Tegami Bachi (the manga that started all of this, which is published by Viz) and the first three volumes I have also have color pages so I guess Viz is printing some color pages now too.
purplepolecat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:

Well. Osaka, Canada, what's the difference? I, for one, can't tell them apart. They're both famous for their comedy and their funny way of talking.

If only they'd done this for Ayumu "Osaka" Kasuga. I would love to hear her with a Newfie accent instead of a Texas drawl. The club she forms with Tomo and Kagura could be called the Canuckleheads.
Dr Grant Swinger

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:45 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Fist of the North Star DID get another chance, you can buy all 4 boxsets containing the whole series for a very reasonable price.

Also, Brian's right, FUNimation gave a VERY GENEROUS chance with Case Closed. Releasing Seasons 4 and 5 in 26-episode sets for $50 MSRP right off the bat is the best episode/price ratio an initial release (key word is "initial", before someone gets confused) has gotten from FUNimation, or heck probably any anime company for that matter. Add 6 movies, and any griping is just ridiculous. Not to mention FUNimation has hinted more of the movies (not TV series, that's over) might be licensed as movies 1-6 sold fairly well.

I saved this from Funimation's old message board (currently down for archiving). It was posted around March 2009. As Sheehan points out, Funi sunk a lot of money into Case Closed and never saw any of it back. After that effort nobody has any right to complain.
Funimation wrote:

Originally Posted by matthewlow
As to do all of you guys a favor who told me to ask, while I was volunteering at the Funimation booth at San Diego Comic-Con, I asked Adam Sheehan what the "real story behind the status of Case Closed" is. Oh, and Sheehan gave me his blessing to post this.

First off, Sheehan mentioned that this has been told many times before, from the ANN Cast to AnimeExpo (though probably not as extensive as he told me). He said he's answered this question over and over, but people are just not facing reality. FACE IT. Funimation is done with Conan as a TV series. There are no plans whatsoever to license more of the Conan TV series. It just isn't going to happen with Funimation.

Conan has been given THREE lives, and has failed them all miserably.
Life ONE: Cartoon Network and Adult Swim, and single DVDs. Single DVDs (3 episodes) with Conan were a miserable failure, and in hindsight that's completely obvious for a series that had around 500 episodes (at the time). Coupled with it being a kids show on Adult Swim at 5:30 am (at some times), it was just not a good fit. (Though I did meet a kid whose mom told me at the Funi booth that her son would wake up at 5:30 just to watch Conan. You rock!)
Life ONE and a half: Case 1 and 2/3 were released with 6 episodes each (outside of 1.1). This didn't work either.
Life TWO: Season sets with 25-27 episodes. This also failed.
Life THREE: Viridian season sets. This also failed.

Failed as in meet expectations. The licensing fees and marketing money put into Conan were a lot, and the sales in return didn't come close to meeting expectations (and likely recur costs). Sheehan could not give me numbers, but let's just say they were bad. Conan has a TON of rabid fans, but there aren't enough casual fans (e.g. Kenichi) that push sales along. And you have to consider that many of the "fans" don't even buy the DVDs.

So how about the movies? Life FOUR? The movies sold well, according to Sheehan. Funimation may go after movies, for the sheer reason that the story is in the box and there's not as much backstory you NEED to keep going. Movies overall sell better than a series, especially a long running one.

So how about a simulcast? Not going to happen. Funimation wants to simulcast series that start at the beginning. Getting series in the middle are not likely, and One Piece only happened because it was actually Toei's idea.

So how about the Lupin vs Conan special? Specials are an option, notably this one since it has two fan bases to fuel sales.

Sheehan ranked it in terms of importance: Movies on top, right below are specials, and all the way on the bottom is the TV series.

I asked, "If the movies sell well, could that give birth to the series continuing?" Never say never in that case, but there would need to be a 10 TIMES sales increase (i.e. yeah right) for that to happen.

Sheehan summed it up with saying that the best hope for Conan is for the license to run out (and he could not tell me when that would be), and a smaller company with less overhead to pick it up (likely for subbed release). Section 23, NIS, and Nozomi were mentioned. He also mentioned that just like the Lupin license where ADV got the series and Funi had the movies that they could do the movies and have another company continue the series.

Thus, the case is closed on the Case Closed TV series. Stop this nonsense. It isn't going to happen.

Oh, and to top it off, I even asked Gen Fukunaga (as a joke, saying it half laughing). He, along with the entire Funi crew he was with (Adam Zaner, et. al.), laughed with me. "We wish."
Shenl742

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:01 pm Reply with quote
If the Higurashi thing was any indication, expect T-minus 5 minutes before some lunkhead calls Sheehan's response "rude and unprofessional"....or a liar.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There are a few family-friendly shows that draw huge audiences that air in prime time (Detective Conan, Doraemon, Pokemon), kids shows that air in the mornings over the weekend (One Piece), and a whole mess of shows that air late at night for the austere, "mature" individual (everything else). To the vast majority of the Japanese populace, "anime" is basically for kids and teenagers and otherwise socially maladjusted, lonely shut-ins. Huh. That sounds familiar.
Though it wasn't always this way... 10 years ago, some decidedly "otaku" shows like Hand Maid May, G-On Riders, and Petite Princess Yucie aired at 6:30 or 7:00 PM, as did some shorter shounen anime like Hikaru no Go, Scryed, and E's Otherwise.
ThePoliced

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:44 pm Reply with quote
The Replacements much? xd
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:06 pm Reply with quote
If the movies sell I'd think the only other way to possibly market Case Closed/Detective Conan would be Critical Case sets. The majority of the big Black Organization cases are contained in special episodes and could be sold as movies the exception being the 14 part Clash of Red and Black. They miss some of the little clues but not much, and it might not be too hard to create synopsis to explain the missed clues from early episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:22 am Reply with quote
If Avatar 2 and 3 do really well, Cameron will not need Hollywood to fund the Battle Angel Alita movie. Believe Cameron funded Avatar with the profits from his other successful movies.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:46 am Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
For several seasons, the dub implied the show took place in the Western United States and referred to Osaka as Canada.

Well, they already changed the names to English (starting with Conan... oh wait), so it'll be double-weird keeping English names in Japan. Laughing
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:12 am Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
If the Higurashi thing was any indication, expect T-minus 5 minutes before some lunkhead calls Sheehan's response "rude and unprofessional"....or a liar.

I wouldn't say rude, fair would probably be the better assessment. Quite honestly I feel like Conan really failed because Funimation didn't really know how to market, and when I say that I mean I don't think they knew which audience they should be targeting. Also I think they counted their eggs before they hatched. I'm not sure what kind of deal they worked out with TMS when they first licensed the series, perhaps TMS made them take a package deal, but there's no doubt in my mind the episodes and movies that they released were the ones they had from the start and that's where most of their flushed expenses went to. Again I'm not sure if that's just what TMS forced them to agree to or if they were simply overzealous and bought way to many episodes to start, but really 5 seasons off the bat? You know that couldn't have been cheap. Quite honestly I feel if they had had the show on regular CN and not adult swim it would've fared better to garner a casual audience. You can say what you will about the violence in Conan, but let's be real, they were showing DBZ and Yu yu Hakusho on toonami around dinner time back then, at least Conan had morals to go with the gore. Anyway, I digress. I've always liked the show it was sad to see it go.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:35 am Reply with quote
Anime Remix wrote:
Is no one not looking at the fact that in the beginning FUNimation was releasing Case Closed in DVD singles during the time? How can a company suspect a long running series to sell well by releasing it through singles. I heard FUNimation started skipping episodes on the single DVDs also. After releasing a certain amount of episodes on the singles, they went onto releasing single DVDs that contained the episodes that weren't shown on TV. Anyways, it's great that it actually had a chance to be aired on TV, but I'm also sure that a bad time slot didn't help the series at all. FUNimation overall just did a decent job with this series. Not outstanding. Not terrible. Just decent.

Keep in mind, when Funimation first started with Case Closed, the standard was to release any series on single DVDs first. That's what the Japanese wanted, and that's what was done, regardless of length. You can't really blame them for that decision when it wasn't theirs to make. And it was Funi that pushed to start with half season sets for longer shows instead later on. Also, initially the time slot was pretty good for Case Closed. It aired sometime around 12 AM Easter, if memory serves. It didn't get pushed to that last hour death slot until it was clear the show wasn't going to be on TV much longer anyway. Basically, Case Closed just wasn't going to make it on American TV. It was too intense to get past the censors for children's shows, and it wasn't intense enough to make it as a late night cartoon. Funimation tried to make it work, and that is all we can ask.
amagee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:25 am Reply with quote
I might be alone in this, but people seem to bash the Speed Racer movie quite a lot as if they expected something akin to Casablanca. I went in expecting a colorful and ridiculous racing movie with retarded characters and the like and I wasn't disappointed. It was like watching NASCAR after taking five hits of acid and there was a monkey...enough said.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:14 am Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
Reaper gI wrote:

As I mentioned the US first editions do have them. Not sure about Viz, none of the manga I have from them had colour pages originaly.

Actually, I just went and checked my copy of Tegami Bachi (the manga that started all of this, which is published by Viz) and the first three volumes I have also have color pages so I guess Viz is printing some color pages now too.

The Viz editions of Ai Ore! (volume 1 at least, as it's the only one out), Mistress Fortune and Saiunkoku Monogatari have colour pages. I'm sure I saw a first edition copy of Shinshi Doumei Cross 1 in English with colour as well, once upon a time. I think most of the SigIkki books have some form of colour, too. Quite a lot of BL tends to have them as well, though it's generally priced higher and gets quite small print runs anyway. I imagine it's more viable because of that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3