• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mario Kart 8 Sells Over 1.2 Million During 1st Weekend

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Take that, people who said that not all that many people will purchase the same electronic trinket that I bought!
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:11 pm Reply with quote
TrailOfDead wrote:
Take that, people who said that not all that many people will purchase the same electronic trinket that I bought!

People still haven't bought enough of your electronic trinket to be profitable for the corporation that produces it and my electronic trinket is still better, noob. Laughing
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:54 pm Reply with quote
According to the June 2 Chart-Track "Top Dog" article that the Siliconera article links:
Quote:
Ubisoft take their second All Formats No1 of the year, and smash the week 1 sales record for new IP in the process as event title ‘Watch Dogs’ takes the crown.

It eclipses the new IP record set by ‘L.A Noire’ three years ago with an increase of 58%. In terms of units, ‘Watch Dogs’ breaks into the Top 20 for best ever launch weeks taking 17th spot on the list. The new release finds itself in good company with only titles from mega-brands GTA, Call of Duty, FIFA & Battlefield ahead of it. For Ubisoft it’s also a personal best with ‘Watch Dogs’ beating ‘Assassin’s Creed III’ as their biggest launch in the UK by 17%. By format PS4 dominates software sales, boosted by exclusive content and the release of a new Watch Dogs hardware bundle. This accounts for just over 53% of PS4 hardware sales while claiming the credit for a near 94% increase in total sales for the PS4 hardware format this week.

While there is no contest for top spot Wii U exclusive ‘Mario Kart 8’ races comfortably into second place. The much loved series makes an impressive debut becoming the bestselling week 1 for any Wii U title since launch and the second best in the Mario Kart series ever. ‘Mario Kart 8’ like ‘Watch Dogs’ also launches an official hardware bundle this week boosting the sales of Wii U hardware by a whopping 666%, of which 82% are the Mario Kart 8 Bundle. Last week’s No1 ‘Wolfenstein: The New Order’ (-65%) makes way for the newcomers, dropping down to round off the Top 3. With half term in full swing many titles benefit from increased sales. ‘FIFA 14’ (+46%) is at No4 while ‘Minecraft: PS3 Edition’ (+20%) continues to sell strongly despite dropping to No5. Outside the Top 10 there’s a re-entry for ‘Borderlands 2’ which is propelled back into the chart at No18 thanks to the release of the new PS Vita version.

While I know that there are Japanese tankoubon can have such sales figures within days of its public release, I wish we'd see more the English tankoubon achieving this feat.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Nintendo cycle

Rahxephon91 wrote:
Nintendo diehards haven't even played the first bayo and they sure
weren't there for Xenoblade.

Speak for yourself, brah. Played those on release day. Bayo 2 wouldn't even exist without Nintendo. That's cool in my book.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:30 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
Nintendo cycle

Speak for yourself, brah. Played those on release day. Bayo 2 wouldn't even exist without Nintendo. That's cool in my book.
Then that would mean you are in fact not a Nintendo diehard since clearly you have another system to play Bayonetta one.

And I don't need to speak for myself with Xenoblade. The sales of the game do that for me and make it clear it is'nt a system seller.

The point the poster brought up is that Nintendo needs games that aren't preaching to the choir/selling to basically Nintendo only/hardcore fans. His point is that MK8 is one of those games. He then lists games like Bayo 2 and X as games that people who don't care about Mario and the like may buy a system for. That's hardly even half right.

The other poster then wants to claim that those games are already preaching to the Nintendo choir. Thats wrong because Bayo wasn't even on a Nintendo console. Xenoblade is even more niche and also has cache outside of the typical Nintendo audience.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
lizardking461

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:59 pm Reply with quote
wohdin wrote:
ShatteredWorld wrote:
"Mario Kart 8 won't sell!" they said.

"The Pii U is doomed!" they chanted.

"The Wii U will never have great games!"

It feels so great to swim in the tears of Nintendo haters Laughing

The console still doesn't have a system-seller title for non-Nintendo diehards. What's the current install base of the Wii U? Of course this game is going to be a must-have for people who already own the console, but thinking that this is going to push many console sales is crazy. I don't even think Smash will be that much of a system seller, either, except from the hardcore Nintendo fan and fighting game community overlap, which for the record is not that big.

Like the previous comment... call me when X and Bayonetta 2 come out. I'll almost certainly get MK8 and SSB4 when that happens, but until then, whatevs, I've got Sonic All Stars to tide me over until then.

As others have pointed out, might help to do some research first before making ill-substantiated claims. 666% increase in sales in a region constitutes "system seller" by an metric. Certainly the game that made me finally make a purchase.

Quote:
He then lists games like Bayo 2 and X as games that people who don't care about Mario and the like may buy a system for. That's hardly even half right...

Xenoblade... has cache outside of the typical Nintendo audience.

Logic isn't one of your strong points, is it? While by no means a "system-seller", there will indeed be people who buy a Wii U for X who aren't interested in Mario games...
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Then that would mean you are in fact not a Nintendo diehard since clearly you have another system to play Bayonetta one.

Most people have more than one system. Your narrow definition of a 'diehard' is questionable and seems like a vague straw-man to make a point.

All this talk about third parties and stuff.. I don't really care. I buy Nintendo consols for Nintendo's games. Whether that be Mario, X, Bayonetta, Pokemon, Zelda, or Metroid. Nintendo has the strongest first party support out of the three main companies so they can get away with it. Any third party games which come out on them are just a bonus for me.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Logic isn't one of your strong points, is it? While by no means a "system-seller", there will indeed be people who buy a Wii U for X who aren't interested in Mario games..
That's a very snotty way for someone who apparently lacks reading comprehension to attack someone. Kind of makes you look like an idiot actually.

Ok Mr. Logic, just so you understand, we're talking about system sellers right? The poster was claiming that Bayo 2 and X could be system sellers for people beyond the already sold Nintendo audience. So when I said that was "half right" where did you get that I was saying that is actually wrong? Apparently, you weren't reading and being very logical there.

Because even the statement "half right" makes it clear there's some truth to it, obviously noting that there will be some who buy the system for those games. Emphasis on some though.

Nowhere did I say there will not be a few who will buy the system for those games. No, I'm doubting them being system sellers of actual note. I'd buy a system for those games. I also bought a 3DS for Barevly Default. Bravely Default is not a system seller though, thats something like Pokemon.

you would think someone who is supposed to be logical would understand the scale of this conversation and that if I were to say "no ones buying a Wii U for Bayo 2" that I actually mean Bayo 2 is'nt going to move a million Wii Us, not that no one, not even those small niche gamers are not going to buy a Wii U for the Bayo 2.

Then again, I guess that's too much to ask for someone who's supposed to be logical.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Only a little under 3 million shy of Watch Dog's debut week then.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
I really dislike Nintendo fanboyism that tries to paint any negativity into this big conspiracy.

If you have issue with the fact, take it up with Nintendo themselves.

http://playeressence.com/nintendo-share-holders-are-aware-of-major-media-bias-and-incorrect-info-on-nintendo/

One can't really blame them for snubbing journalism sites given working in gaming journalism is one step above working for the National Enquierer these days with the amount of reliance on click-bait articles, misleading headlines, and social justice topics. The American gaming market is one of the worst ones out there. I myself tend to stay far away from it as much as I can as well. I appreciate I can go to Nintendo to get info without having to deal with journalism sites where you can already tell the political spin an article will be just by who's name is in the written by column.

-Stuart Smith
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:49 am Reply with quote
The moment you complained about "social justice" is the moment I knew not to care what you have to say.

Because we all know what you're complaining about. Articles that talk about presentation of sex in games, with a focus(usually negative) on Japanese games. Which I fail to see a problem with. Yes some of the stuff is straight up sexist and games could stand to grow out of it. There's nothing wrong with criticizing this medium, better then not saying anything. Anyone who uses that dumb social justice phrase .which is almost hilarious because you're trying to spin people looking for equal and positive representation as a bad thing, sounds like a fool who wants to wine about his supposed oppression and how everything this attacking him and trying to take away your tna games. You're tna games are'nt going anywhere, just maybe they won't crowd up the medium.

Almost everything you've said has been done to every other company at some time or another. Almost every thing you listed happens in online or print. But lets ignore the millions of good articles that exists that don't do that. Lets paint this overblown narrative thats all bad just because someone somewhere said something we did'nt like.

Lets take playing with toys so seriously that we equate it with politics.

Nintendo fans are the worse.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:21 am Reply with quote
You asked for proof and when someone gives you proof you ignore it and choose to personally attack them instead. You're not making your side look very favorable, Rahxephon91. And I got to say the way you keep lumping "Nintendo fans" in one group just sort of paints your own bias on the subject pretty clear. I guess nothing anyone says is going to be treated fairly by you.

Fact of the matter is Nintendo doesn't play by the rules of what the modern gaming industry is like, and it upsets a lot of people. Whether that means YouTubers pissed off and refusing to cover Nintendo content or websites openly twisting their words and launching hate campaigns against them, the general mindset is hard to deny in the modern western gaming industry.

Not that Nintendo is totally flawless or anything. The stark differences in their Japanese and American mindset can be pretty contradicting and hypocritical at times that I kind of wish they'd stop trying to keep this family friendly image in America when you can go on Japanese Miiverse and find tons of lewd drawings from artists floating around the communities, but anyone who tries similar here gets quickly deleted. Would be nice to have more creative freedom on this side of the ocean.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
You asked for proof and when someone gives you proof you ignore it and choose to personally attack them instead. You're not making your side look very favorable, Rahxephon91.
Um Nintendo claiming that there is bad press itself is not actual proof of bad press. I'm still waiting for all these articles from actual websites that are so hateful and bias against Nintendo. When you actually provide them I'll be sure to provide a corresponding one for Sony(of which there are many) and MS(of which I'm sure the last year provided plenty of).

Because whats provided is not proof. And the complaints about social justice is crap and deserve to be insulted.

Quote:
And I got to say the way you keep lumping "Nintendo fans" in one group just sort of paints your own bias on the subject pretty clear.
Good, I'll own up to it which is more then I can say for Nintendo fans.

Quote:
I guess nothing anyone says is going to be treated fairly by you.
I'm waiting for anyone to say anything. Where have they actually said anything?

Quote:
Fact of the matter is Nintendo doesn't play by the rules of what the modern gaming industry is like, and it upsets a lot of people. Whether that means YouTubers pissed off and refusing to cover Nintendo content or websites openly twisting their words and launching hate campaigns against them, the general mindset is hard to deny in the modern western gaming industry.
Youtubers aren't gaming journalism. What they do is a separate issue. It's like getting mad that I don't like Nintendo. They aren't beholden to anyone but themselves.

What hate campaigns have actual gaming websites like IGN, Kotaku, and so on run against Nintendo? I sure hope it's more that they gave a Nintendo game you like a bad review.

What is this mindset? Where is it? That the WiiU is a failure? Um...thats not really a mindset, but an actual fact. I'm really interested in where all this bias against Nintendo is. It certainly does not show up in the actual reviews of thier games where they constantly are well regarded. Is it the coverage? Do they not get enough coverage? Well I can't blame game websites if they find that coverage of other things gets more views.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:20 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
You asked for proof and when someone gives you proof you ignore it and choose to personally attack them instead. You're not making your side look very favorable, Rahxephon91. And I got to say the way you keep lumping "Nintendo fans" in one group just sort of paints your own bias on the subject pretty clear. I guess nothing anyone says is going to be treated fairly by you.

Not that Nintendo is totally flawless or anything. The stark differences in their Japanese and American mindset can be pretty contradicting and hypocritical at times that I kind of wish they'd stop trying to keep this family friendly image in America when you can go on Japanese Miiverse and find tons of lewd drawings from artists floating around the communities, but anyone who tries similar here gets quickly deleted. Would be nice to have more creative freedom on this side of the ocean.

Well, you can say similar things about the Disney Channel yet those families (the kids namely) they are aim to project this family friendly image may think otherwise when they hear how various Disney Channel stars then and current do decisions that aren't Disney Channel friendly: Raven coming out as a lesbian; Christine Carlson Romano being nude in Mirrors 2; Vanessa Hudgens have nude photo scandals; Miley Cyrus' twerking; Selena Gomez being in Spring Breakers).

*From the "Criticism and controversies" section of Disney Channel's Wikipedia entry:
Quote:
"Disney Channel has received heavy criticism by some critics and former viewers for its current programming direction. Critics disapprove of the marketing strategy drafted by Disney–ABC Television Group president Anne Sweeney, which results in a slant in the target audience of Disney Channel's programs toward pre-teen and teenage girls. Sweeney had once stated that Disney Channel, resulting from its multi-platform marketing strategy using television and music, would become "the major profit driver for the [Walt Disney] Company."

Most viewers who had grown up watching Disney Channel's family-targeted shows during its run as a premium/hybrid premium-basic service have also complained about a perceived decline in quality in its programming since the early 2000s, a lack of programming content dedicated to Walt Disney and Mickey Mouse, and sexist humor against boys. The channel has also been criticized contradictorily for a perceived incorporation of some sexual content (in a manner mildly similar to that found on some original scripted programs on competitor Nickelodeon, that still avoids violating the channel's content guidelines), and for being too strict in regards to program content (with its editing and occasional removal of episodes of select acquired programs that ran between 1997 and 2007 due to subject matter and some profanity considered inappropriate for children as well as sporadic edits of minced oaths that are otherwise acceptable under its guidelines and placement of non-Disney products among viewer complaints regarding this particular issue).

The channel has also pulled episodes (even once having to reshoot an episode) that have featured subject matter either deemed inappropriate due to its humor, the timing of the episode's airing with real-life events or subject matter considered inappropriate for Disney Channel's target audience. In December 2008, the Hannah Montana episode "No Sugar, Sugar" was pulled before its broadcast after complaints from parents who saw the episode through video on demand services due to misconceptions regarding diabetics and sugar intake (the Mitchel Musso character of Oliver Oken is revealed in the episode to have been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes). Portions of that episode were subsequently rewritten and re-filmed to become the season three episode "Uptight (Oliver's Alright)", which aired in September 2009. In December 2011, Disney Channel pulled episodes of two of its original series from the network's broadcast cycle – the season one Shake It Up episode "Party It Up", and the So Random! episode "Colbie Caillat" – after Demi Lovato (star of So Random! parent series Sonny with a Chance, who was treated for bulimia nervosa in 2010) objected on Twitter to jokes featured in both episodes (the Shake It Up episode, in particular) that made light of eating disorders. On May 17, 2013, the channel pulled "Quitting Cold Koala", a second season episode of Jessie, prior to its scheduled premiere broadcast, due to parental concerns over a scene in which a character's gluten-free diet leads to him being ridiculed.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:12 am Reply with quote
I'm playing it and it has great track design and it could be the most balanced MK ever made. And a great OST, by the way (most people talk about graphics, too few about music in videogames, sadly).

I miss the bikes controls of Mario Kart Wii, though. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2