• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fairy Tail the Movie: Phoenix Priestess BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daichi383

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I get that Carls not a fan of the TV adaptation but i wouldn't say this movie was much of an improvement. Sure the design work and animation is better but it didn't really leave a lasting impression like the best of the TV episodes do for me. It was certainly enjoyable but only as an extension of the show. On the music front i'd even say the score was rather dull. The show does use heavy guitars in a lot of tracks but i don't see that as a bad thing. Even the lesser pieces from the show were more enjoyable than the generic sounding movie score. On it's own i don't think it stands up too well. Either way it is interesting seeing other peoples opinions and i respect that he was able to share his with a well reasoned review.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and none of the bloat and apathy one associates with its TV adaptation.

I like it when reviewers assume that we think the same way as they do about everything. Especially when the opinion doesn't reflect that of the majority.

Quote:
and yet Funimation's team delivers the same stoically, unenthusiastically professional work that dragged the TV series down.
I admit that my experience with the Fairy Tail dub is only the first 48 episodes but one of the biggest things that stood out to me was how enthusiastic the cast was. The commentary on the DVDs and the fact that Todd Haberkorn got a Fairy Tail tattoo when they reached the 100 episode mark drove that in even more.

If I could be bothered to nitpick I'm sure I could come up with a whole laundry list of flaws but lacking enthusiasm? Seriously? I know people have different opinions and all but sometimes I just can't help but scratch my head at some of the things you guys come up with.
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:01 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Quote:
and none of the bloat and apathy one associates with its TV adaptation.

I like it when reviewers assume that we think the same way as they do about everything. Especially when the opinion doesn't reflect that of the majority.

Quote:
and yet Funimation's team delivers the same stoically, unenthusiastically professional work that dragged the TV series down.
I admit that my experience with the Fairy Tail dub is only the first 48 episodes but one of the biggest things that stood out to me was how enthusiastic the cast was. The commentary on the DVDs and the fact that Todd Haberkorn got a Fairy Tail tattoo when they reached the 100 episode mark drove that in even more.

If I could be bothered to nitpick I'm sure I could come up with a whole laundry list of flaws but lacking enthusiasm? Seriously? I know people have different opinions and all but sometimes I just can't help but scratch my head at some of the things you guys come up with.

I completely agree that was completely what seriously they love doing fairy tail. They rave about it all the time in commentaries and I am up to current releases
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Bitch, please. Only a mental defective with absolutely abysmal taste would really think that. I

Blood-, I know you're in, what, your 40s? Could you at least try to disagree with a review without sounding like an angry poo-flinging teenager?

Honestly? Probably not. Embarassed

OKAY, FINE I'LL TRY THE EMOTIONAL MATURITY THING, ALRIGHT??? I just don't see it taking, but whatever.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:53 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree with Blood-, it's like Carl watched a completely different movie and/or a completely different Fairy Tail series. Phoenix Priestess has an unengaging story, the titular character never actually does anything at all. The villains are unoriginal, most of them use kinds of magic we've seen before and they're just walking strawmen. I really can't understand where this "overall better than the original series comes from". Even from the animation point of view it's massively inferior, especially noticeable during Gray's battle with Villain#3, his Ice make looks atrocious. And Lucy is given the shitty treatment of not doing anything at all but crying and showing boobs.
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:27 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
I have one problem with this movie: It's not enjoyable. I mean the story is not enjoyable. It leaves a bitter taste in your mouth, unlike most movies made from shounen series. It's just too filled with suffering for Fairy Tail. I think that's why it flopped in Japan. For once, the power of friendship solved absolutely nothing.

As a point of order, the Fairy Tail movie did not flop in Japan. If it had, they would not have gone to the expense of animating the prequel chapter as a home video bonus. Boxofficemojo is simply a poor site for accurate information on anime movies.
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:22 am Reply with quote
I've not seen the film. I'm a big fan of the TV series and manga.

Reading this review, from someone who clearly isn't a fan of the TV series, seems like this movie should be god-tier for me since it is said to be:
Quote:
Brighter, funnier, cooler, prettier, more heartfelt, more stylistically faithful, and just plain better than the TV series;

I look forward to watching (what should be) this "blessing from god" of a movie.
BringBackUzume

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:50 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I would recommend, in the future, that Carl refrain from getting high while writing a review.

I agree. Especially what was written about the dub. This review was just all around face-palm worthy.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Philmister978 wrote:
Blood- wrote:

I wonder how much of the FT series Carl has actually seen. Not much, I would guess.

And you're not that far off actually. I checked and of the reviews of the TV series releases. He only did the most recent one (that'd be sets 7 & 8).

which mean he cant actually judge too harshly on the english dub which in my opinion is a lot better than people give credit. sure he was right that Eclair dub was an obviously miscast and would have used a VA that fit the character,but its still passable.

is it perfect, of course not but at least its enjoyable. Especially when compared to the Animax Asia dub (which i have a feeling he haven't seen either)

so to be frank i am kinda glad funi licensed the series in general cause if it was another company like sentai or nozumi ,it probably wouldnt sound right.

worse they would pull a NIS America and just use the animax dub to save money.

SquadmemberRitsu wrote:

Quote:

and if that isnt proof that the cast doesnt enjoy the series then nothing will so the reviewers statement that the funi's dub is stoically & unenthusiastically have been debunked big time. especially since some of us have watched both the animax asia dub and all of the funi dubs that have been released.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
immblueversion

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:25 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
and if that isnt proof that the cast doesnt enjoy the series then nothing will so the reviewers statement that the funi's dub is stoically & unenthusiastically have been debunked big time. especially since some of us have watched both the animax asia dub and all of the funi dubs that have been released.

For crap's sake, Todd Haberkorn wore a giant Vegeta mask when recording for Natsu with his head stuck in a kitty helmet! So I agree, "professional" my ass.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:46 am Reply with quote
immblueversion wrote:

For crap's sake, Todd Haberkorn wore a giant Vegeta mask when recording for Natsu with his head stuck in a kitty helmet! So I agree, "professional" my ass.

SO?

who cares if things like that happen. just because their professionals doesnt mean they have to literally be sticks in the mud. especially since most of the newbies like tod were otakus and came in the industry from watching anime. so having fun while doing dub work is not a big deal. and its that sense of low tone and sense that he enjoys some of the characters like natsu and unfortunately nijima from kenichi that makes other anime fanatics want to be involved in the industry too.

cant take things way too seriously pal. especially when it comes to being a VA.

BringBackUzume wrote:
Blood- wrote:
I would recommend, in the future, that Carl refrain from getting high while writing a review.

I agree. Especially what was written about the dub. This review was just all around face-palm worthy.

i wouldnt go that far.

sure the dub wont be better than the sub for some people ,but to say that the dubs VA didn't put any effort into the series let alone enjoy their time with it is crazy. hopefully things will be different when the reviews of Part 9 & 10 come around which supports the Grimore Heart arc and arguably the most popular and best of the archs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AlanMintaka

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Hello Everyone,

I have a question about the movie that's out of context (I think, anyway) with the controversy over the movie's quality:

How does it fit into the chronology of the TV series?

To date (01/19/2015) I've seen the series episodes included in Blu-Ray releases 1 - 7. I have parts 8 - 10 and have just purchased parts 11 - 14.

I can map the Blu-Ray releases to episodes in seasons 1 and 2 using info here in the ANN and Wikipedia, but I can't tell where the movie fits.

Does anyone know? Does it matter?

Happy viewing,
Alan Mintaka
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:21 pm Reply with quote
It's a stand-alone movie. Like most shonen anime movies, it happens in some undefined alternative timeline; it doesn't fit in the series main story.
AlanMintaka

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:40 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
It's a stand-alone movie. Like most shonen anime movies, it happens in some undefined alternative timeline; it doesn't fit in the series main story.

Cool, thanks CrowLia. Based on most of the comments in this forum, I think I'll give it a pass - unless the TV series leaves me wanting to know more about ambiguous character histories, etc.

Happy Viewing,
Alan Mintaka
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2