• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Extravagant Excitement

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sarukah

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What I wanted:
A good, long look at X, the new RPG from Monolith Soft.

If you didn't see it since I didn't see it mentioned (or maybe I just missed it), Nintendo's live treehouse stream showed 40 minutes of X gameplay; so there was a heck of a lot more after that little story trailer.
mrakai

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:51 pm Reply with quote
No Man's Sky is developed by "Hello Games"
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Nintendo really pulled out all the stop. There was so much that has really convinced me that a WiiU is finally worth it. Xenoblade, Toad, Bayonetta 2, Zelda, claymation Kirby, and all of it was hosted by Robot Chicken. Also the Palutena announcement was awesome for Smash. Pacman though... ehhhh... Not so hot on that one. I really think he doesn't have business being in Smash. That's the guest character we get instead of Snake? Nintendo could have a few more mature things, not like Shooty Wars 28, but sometimes i get tired of the happy platformers and want something with a serious story. They definitely had some, but I wouldn't mind a slightly higher ratio. Really though, that Xenoblade Chronicles X trailer blew my freaking mind.

I was also soooo expecting a Majora's Mask 3D announcement. We all know it's happening; it's just a matter of when.

Also a shame that Suda51 is doing something so pedestrian.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:04 pm Reply with quote
I agree Nintendo did really well at this years E3. They showed off a lot of games, and many of which are ones that I plan on checking out!

However, I thought I would mention that the character shown in the new Legend of Zelda trailer, might not be Link according to reports from Nintendo Big wigs.

Also, Hyrule Warriors isn't under The Legend of Zelda branding. It's just Hyrule Warriors. It looks fantastic as well, plus you can't forget the fact that it includes a lot of female characters, more so than really any Nintendo game that I can think of, at least in proportion to Link anyway.
iloveturkey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:09 pm Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
I really think he doesn't have business being in Smash.

Did you see his reveal? It was basically him and Game and Watch poking fun at Mario and Donkey Kong because they were the true original game characters. I'd say he fits in just fine.

With Pac-Man we've essentially crossed into childhood wishfulfillment fantasy. Mario, Sonic, Rockman, and now Pac-Man? All in the same game fighting each other? If someone told us this when we were kids we'd call them crazy.

X Button wrote:
There's not much like that today. Sony and Microsoft squabble while Nintendo tries to stand apart from it, but no cartoon avatars emerge to fight for their respective companies.

I blame the push by the folks who want video games to be taken "seriously". Having two middle aged CEOs fighting each other like Fist of the North Star or Dragonball Z would be looked down upon and scoffed at. I mean, how childish, right? Video games are supposed to be mature "cinematic experiences" for mature people such as ourselves.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
However, I thought I would mention that the character shown in the new Legend of Zelda trailer, might not be Link according to reports from Nintendo Big wigs.

I have doubts on that. I think the rumor just popped up because people forget Link is actually a bishounen and are upset he doesn't look 'manly enough' like when people complained about Wind Waker's art style, as if Link EVER looked manly. Maybe Nintendo reps are just rolling with it for fun or have no inside knowledge so they're being wishy-washy to avoid being confirmatory either way just in case.

-Stuart Smith
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:25 pm Reply with quote
iloveturkey wrote:
EnigmaticSky wrote:

Did you see his reveal? It was basically him and Game and Watch poking fun at Mario and Donkey Kong because they were the true original game characters. I'd say he fits in just fine.

Just because he's old I don't think makes him fit for Smash. I don't think anybody had Pacman on their wishlist over any other character.
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:43 pm Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
iloveturkey wrote:
EnigmaticSky wrote:

Just because he's old I don't think makes him fit for Smash. I don't think anybody had Pacman on their wishlist over any other character.

I had not one, but TWO friends who wanted Pac-Man in the game. Apparently, quite a few people online were aware of the fact that Game&Watch, Pac-Man, Mario, and Donkey Kong are the oldest actual video game characters in history. And some people expected it because Nintendo said they were working with the Namco-specific branch of Namco Bandai. Then there were the people who wanted Tales of characters and Klonoa, but... hey. There's always room in the assist trophies!

I still want Hatsune Miku to show up. And Shulk. And Jigglypuff, Ness, and Captain Falcon (because Jiggly is my main and the others have been there since the beginning). And most definitely a Fire Emblem: Awakening character. Put any of those new characters in, or at least all of the old ones from the first game, and I will be a happy little snowflake...
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Cyclone1993 wrote:

I have doubts on that. I think the rumor just popped up because people forget Link is actually a bishounen and are upset he doesn't look 'manly enough' like when people complained about Wind Waker's art style, as if Link EVER looked manly. Maybe Nintendo reps are just rolling with it for fun or have no inside knowledge so they're being wishy-washy to avoid being confirmatory either way just in case.

-Stuart Smith

No kidding, they probably just prettied him up due to the expanded processing power. Link has always been one of the prettier Nintendo mascots so it's only logical that those features would be more exaggerated as time went on.

Anyway, Nintendo basically won in a landslide. They had more stuff in their 45 minute Digital Event than Sony and MS had in their pressers which were twice that long. And it didn't even stop there as Nintendo keeps showing stuff off at the Treehouse: Live @ E3 stream. They even revealed that Itagaki's troubled production Devil's Third is now a Wii U exclusive, and they revealed Pac-Man as a playable character in SSB after the Smash Invitational. When you have that much stuff everyone else looks like amateurs.

iloveturkey wrote:
EnigmaticSky wrote:

With Pac-Man we've essentially crossed into childhood wishfulfillment fantasy. Mario, Sonic, Rockman, and now Pac-Man? All in the same game fighting each other? If someone told us this when we were kids we'd call them crazy.

X Button wrote:
There's not much like that today. Sony and Microsoft squabble while Nintendo tries to stand apart from it, but no cartoon avatars emerge to fight for their respective companies.

I blame the push by the folks who want video games to be taken "seriously". Having two middle aged CEOs fighting each other like Fist of the North Star or Dragonball Z would be looked down upon and scoffed at. I mean, how childish, right? Video games are supposed to be mature "cinematic experiences" for mature people such as ourselves.

As I've said elsewhere, gaming right now seems to come off like it's in its awkward, adolescent phase. It's not old enough to be respected as an adult, but too old to be considered a child. Companies like EA, Sony, Ubisoft, and MS are really struggling and trying to find an identity. They're going through that phase where they're trying to emulate "mature" content but they keep bringing up the shallower aspects. In their haste to be regarded as adults they come off as all the more childish for it. Nintendo meanwhile has no shame in trying to be for families, adults, children, and everyone else and show that they know what gaming is more than anybody else.

Last edited by AiddonValentine on Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
potatopurplexs3

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:53 pm Reply with quote
I think it's safe to say Nintendo won this E3. Nearly everything they showed looked incredibly good. Especially Xenoblade Chronicles X and the new Legend of Zelda. Also, you missed the fact that Tomonobu Itagaki's new game is now a Wii U exclusive.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I guess Nintendo won for some people, but they showed very little that makes me personally interested. Just the same old Nintendo stuff. Bayo 2 and Xenoblade are the only interesting titles for me on the system. Bayo 2 because it's being held hostage and Xenoblade because Nintendo had to buy Monolith. Unfortunately I do not like Xenoblade's custom character who seems like he/she is going to be mute. I rather the main character actually be a main character in a jrpg story. Either way Xenoblade won't be out for a while, so when it comes out and I have to begrudgingly buy a wii U hopefully it will be cheaper and Bayo 2 will be heavily discounted thanks to bombing.

I don't think anyone won E3, especially Nintendo. Sony and MS showed games I'd like to play, but nothing that blew me away.

I'd love to play Halo 2 online again. Almost worth the Xbone to do so. Sunset Overdrive could be good. The new Platinum game could be very good. None of these though make me want to rush out and get an Xbone as I already have a PS4 to play some of the other great looking games MS showed.

Though if I did'nt have a PS4 I wouldn't rush out to buy one based on E3. Cool looking stuff showed for sure, but the same deal.

All in all it was an ok E3, just nothing great.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I had that issue of EGM once, so I recognized that shot of Sonic being a butt from the Sonic 2 page.

Microsoft: Cuphead is definitely an eye-catcher. I can remember those old cartoons now.

Nintendo: I totally called it. When I saw the trailer for it, I said Xenoblade Chronicles X had a Xenosaga space opera vibe to it. However, there's still no word on Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem yet, not even any development screenshots...

XSEED: Nice to see more of Falcom's less appreciated stuff making the table now. Ys will always be tops of course, but it's good that classics like Brandish get to be recognized.

Natsume: Well this is a nice and pleasant surprise. I love Kemco's smartphone RPGs, so putting them on Wii U and PSP is just plain awesome (though I have heard Grinsia on the 3DS has been having random crashes and freezes from time to time).

Square Enix: Both Final Fantasy Type-0 and its prequel Agito plus a full out game of the short-but-sweet FF7 motorcycle segment? Pretty big wow on their part, though I imagine that followers of that fan translation are calling SE trolls now.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yes, I'd say Nintendo came out ahead at E3, partly by not emulating Sony or Microsoft. Yet you'll note that Nintendo didn't set out any bait for the typical Call of Duty or Halo player.

They did that off-broadcast with "Devil's Third" (even though it looks awful).
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:02 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Quote:
Yes, I'd say Nintendo came out ahead at E3, partly by not emulating Sony or Microsoft. Yet you'll note that Nintendo didn't set out any bait for the typical Call of Duty or Halo player.

They did that off-broadcast with "Devil's Third" (even though it looks awful).

The more absurd thing about the whole ordeal is Nintendo of all people presented the most innovative and unique shooter with Splatoon. Something that isn't based on KDA or Zombies, and with a ton of new gameplay mechanics and style more reminiscent of the old arena shooter days. Most definitely unexpected.

But the best part was the creator of Ika Musume mentioned it on Twitter and drew some fanart for it and joked he'd love to have Ika-chan DLC for it.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:21 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Stuart Smith wrote:
Cyclone1993 wrote:

-Stuart Smith

No kidding, they probably just prettied him up due to the expanded processing power. Link has always been one of the prettier Nintendo mascots so it's only logical that those features would be more exaggerated as time went on.

Whoooaa wait, I don't think Link was always the dashing bishonen you guys are making him out to be. The official art for the original Zeldas, from the NES up until maybe the N64, make Link out to be fairly cartoony, sometimes with a big shnoz that doesn't exactly scream gorgeous. Laughing Even in the official Ocarina of Time artwork he's fairly muscular, though I do think that was about the time he started to look less cartoony and a bit ways more handsome. Then there's Windwaker, where he's really just a cartoon. Twilight Princess is the first incarnation I can think where he seemed particularly handsome and lithe, which I guess may have fleshed out more of the trend, including Skyward Sword. Anyways, I agree that Link looks very effeminate in the trailer (and in the Palutena trailer as well), but I actually thought his new look was pretty good, albeit the whole "throwing off a hooded cloak and pouncing into action" had a sort of teen scene vibe to it that made me furl the proverbial brow (though admittedly, if I was a kid I probably would have eaten it up, so it gets bonus points in its own way =P).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6