• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
House of 1000 Manga - Manga Hell, Part II

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:16 pm Reply with quote
I am here to defend the kanazuki no miko manga, the rape is really necesary and important to the plot, spoiler[chikane has to rape himeko so himeko becomes unfit as a virgin sacrifice]

Also, the manga is a companion to the anime so it's kinda worthless by itself, as it explains the events of the anime, which was mostly himeko's pov from chikane's pov.
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:32 pm Reply with quote
How deep is High School of the Dead? That mess comes off as the revenge fantasy of that one kid in class who kept reading bad military fiction and books on guns while looking down on everyone else.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:43 pm Reply with quote
You're probably right on all counts. I won't argue. But it looks like you left out one of those darling Yotsuba& illustrations. They are really the highlight of the article.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:48 pm Reply with quote
yotsubafanfan wrote:
Beized wrote:
So when can we expect the follow up columns about climbing Manga Purgatory and ascending into Manga Heaven? I'm not even joking.

Hey yeah, I wanna see that too! Very Happy

Well, you still have Mount Purgatorio to go through. Which thankfully EA never got around to making a game for.

You know, I liked Pumpkin Scissors. It was a good series. Wish the anime didn't drag at the end, but otherwise, good early modern military fiction.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:56 pm Reply with quote
gridsleep wrote:
You're probably right on all counts. I won't argue. But it looks like you left out one of those darling Yotsuba& illustrations. They are really the highlight of the article.

I ran out of space for it.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
I would have been disappointed if Eiken didn't end up where it was.

Yeah, it was neat to see Eiken to be one of the manga the Devil reads for all eternity... But I won't hide the fact that I really enjoyed what Media Blasters released of the manga. Yes, it's absolutely ridiculous, completely depraved, & utterly dumb, but it was also damn entertaining for those 12 volumes. I actually really wanted to know what exact purpose the Eiken Club was built for, but we'll likely never see those last 6 volumes... Ever.

So I guess that means I'm going to the lowest level of Hell, huh? Oh well, I'll just have to pull a Saint Seiya & fight my way to the end.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Well,you ended this well,Jason. Nicely done and very creative in part two but there is a question I need to ask you and everyone. Does anyone know the synopsis of "AIEUO Boy" or it's English title "The Starving Man?" You said it was set in New York but what's it about? I'm curious about it since you mentioned it in your article.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I bought all the English language volumes of Eiken dirt cheap from Right Stuf having barely made it through eight of those twelve volumes. I can say it truly deserves it's spot in Manga Hell. I only wish I knew how the thing ended Scanlators don't even want to bother translating it.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:52 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to add my own circle: 9.6 - The Boring.

Series like Death Note (far too much recap and dialogue for a visual medium).

Fortunately, I haven't had the misfortune of reading any other truly appalling mangas.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:40 am Reply with quote
Teacher's Pet by Miki Aihara ends up in manga hell for me. It's one volume long, but you just cannot believe how bad it can get. It's not often you say "it starts off with this student teacher being mentally and physically abused by her bf (another teacher) and she is then raped by a student/the bf's younger brother and it actually gets worse from there"

Something else that I would put in hell are soul-less manga adaptations of anime. So while I loved the Martian Successor Nadesico anime, the manga left me beyond disappointed, it was going through the motions with no soul. The Princess Tutu manga can also go here. The worst part is, it's generally assumed by ignorant people that if a series has a manga and an anime, the manga always came first. This led to my bff's younger sister loudly proclaiming "that's not how it happened in the manga!" (with the obvious assumption it came first and was therefore "correct") when I took Princess Tutu over there to watch back in high school.
unitmikey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:00 am Reply with quote
Oh eiken,
Whether in anime or manga form, you manage to always end up on the worst of anything list by anyone. To that I salute you.
But "My wife is an elementary school student" has always fascinated me in that I could not believe how low this author can go. I would be a little frightened to meet him in person and ask him to defend his work. Or perhaps he is in on the sickest joke ever created.

And thanks for the reminder that the Haruka manga exists and that I actually tortured myself by reading the chapters that were serialized in shojo beat. I kind of liked the art though, if that means anything to anyone.
melmouth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:11 am Reply with quote
The Yotsuba in Hell images were the highlights of the article for me, especially that last one.

Last edited by melmouth on Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:22 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Teacher's Pet by Miki Aihara ends up in manga hell for me. It's one volume long, but you just cannot believe how bad it can get. It's not often you say "it starts off with this student teacher being mentally and physically abused by her bf (another teacher) and she is then raped by a student/the bf's younger brother and it actually gets worse from there"

It's got two volumes, and you can imagine my horror when I realized that. Shocked I actually might put Hot Gimmick in there too, for it's constant torture of Hatsumi, along with a couple of Mayu Shinjo titles, like Hao Airen and probably Love Celeb, with its charming scene where the hero rapes the heroine and she passes it off as okay because they're dating so he has a right to her body.
puppy1843e

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:21 am Reply with quote
I don't agree that La Corda D'oro has a blank slate heroine in the manga. Hino has her own distinct character and she does grow over the course of the manga. spoiler[Realizing she'll never be as good as the other concur participants and practising her hardest. Even though she no longer has a magic violin. Working part time to pay for lessons and maintenance of her violin. Not to mention gaining confidence in her own abilities. Also, learning to perform without the emotional support from everyone else (especially Len).] If you wanna see a truly blank slate heroine without any character development, go read the sequel based off the 3rd game, Blue Sky. Now that has a blank slate, bland heroine. And the rapey character you referred to, which I presume is Yunoki, isn't rapey at all (by otome game standards). He's just a yandere. Laito from Diabolik Lovers or Fuuto from Brothers Conflict would fit that description a lot better.

Last edited by puppy1843e on Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total
nargun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:01 am Reply with quote
Depressingly enough, the thought keeps on crossing my mind that including multiple rapist and sexual-abuser options in your girls comics and otome games might be at least partially driven by some sort of need for realism.

Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3