• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Servant × Service Sub.DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:11 am Reply with quote
I would not say that I found it boring. Maybe it is to people for lack of dramatic fantastic events, but the grounding was actually effective in my opinion, bar the bunny who only worked in a few scenarios.

The expanding characters and their relationships kept interactions fresh, and interactions between Hasabe and Lucy got better through it. I for one did click with the humour and found it enjoyable.

I wonder if I should make the connection to Hozuki no Reitsu, a later anime that was even dryer, but the workplace anime seems to work if you appreciate the dry humour.
Half Life

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:53 am Reply with quote
This is one of my favorite shows from that season. I found at least one laugh-out-loud moment in every episode, so I cannot agree that it is not also very funny. I've watched it several times through, and it easily holds its re-watch value for me.

That said, I definitely trend towards liking these types of shows anyway. I have no tolerance for overwrought drama and darkness -- I want to have a good time, without alot of baggage. That is exactly what this show is.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:04 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this show. I guess that Lucy's name really got me.

I found the side characters to be enjoyable, especially Saya getting stuck "talking" with the old lady.

For me, it seemed like a pretty episodic show. Just when a story thread was being woven, it finished.

While I would love a 2nd season to finish this one off, I don't see it happening. I think that the manga has finished or is about to finish up.

Working!!...I need another season...
Exaar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:00 am Reply with quote
Have to say, really disagree with this review. I loved this show, and got lots of laughs out of pretty much every episode. Hase-kun has got to be one of my favorite characters from the past couple years (not least because he absolutely reminds me of myself at work, haha).
melmouth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Comedy may be subjective but I have to wonder about Chapman's work experience. The manga is based on the author's actual work experience and it shows, to me at least.

Right!

The reviewer may not have had the experience of working as a paper pusher, and so she may not know the dark truth: Such jobs are generally so confining and boring that the jokes and routine antics of fellow workers are the only source of pleasure to be found in them. Therefore when your fellow workers are either very likable or even harmlessly weird and nutty, like the characters in SxS, they're doing you a favor! In short, SxS is the trapped office worker's dream come true. And I loved it as such.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:16 pm Reply with quote
@melmouth: Ain't that the truth! A call center might not be the same as working the front desk, but the main thing keeping your soul from being crushed still remains your coworkers. Nothing can save you from becoming cynical as all get out when it comes to the customers, though. Especially little old ladies.
Ali07 wrote:
I found the side characters to be enjoyable, especially Saya getting stuck "talking" with the old lady.
I know Saya-chan's pain quite well: my first day on my own I ended up leaving over fifteen minutes late because I had no ability to get her off the phone without being rude(at least in my mind).
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree with the review overall, I don't remember any joke where I flat out laughed, mostly just smirk and some "I see what you did there" moment. To be honest I was hoping for a lot more second degree joke since it was about adult so there was no need to keep the humor so sanitized. I do have to say that it's disappointing they played it so safe since there's so few adult/work place related anime, the only other one I can think right now is about this workaholic journalist, was good if I remember right.

I enjoyed watching it but didn't remember it until I read the review. actually stopped watching toward the end because the episode were more and more about the main couple, and I felt neither had any chemistry. She was obvious to everything and seemingly just going along because everyone was pressuring her and he didn't really have any reason to fall for her outside of her being the main character.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I don't agree with this review. I didn't think that there was anything boring or pointless about Servant x Service at all to be honest. It was my favourite show last year. All the characters worked really well together and it was really funny, there wasn't a single thing that I didn't like about it (which is why I gave it the highest possible rating). I'm really looking forward to owning this on DVD and rewatching it as soon as I have it.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:09 pm Reply with quote
melmouth wrote:
Quote:
Comedy may be subjective but I have to wonder about Chapman's work experience. The manga is based on the author's actual work experience and it shows, to me at least.

Right!

The reviewer may not have had the experience of working as a paper pusher, and so she may not know the dark truth: Such jobs are generally so confining and boring that the jokes and routine antics of fellow workers are the only source of pleasure to be found in them. Therefore when your fellow workers are either very likable or even harmlessly weird and nutty, like the characters in SxS, they're doing you a favor! In short, SxS is the trapped office worker's dream come true. And I loved it as such.

I have worked many tedious minimum wage jobs where I wished for the sweet kiss of death to come take me rather than endure the company of horrible co-workers and customers for even one more second. I fully understand that there are moments of delirium you hit on the job where the slightest little change in the status quo becomes either a national emergency or the funniest thing in the world.

But even if that would make a decent comedy, that's not the tone this show was going for. That would be "The Office" you're thinking of. This anime is "cute quirky girls do cute quirky things of no consequence...in an office building!" That has pretty much nothing to do with anything you mentioned above.

Even if those two things were related, I don't think the w-w-w-wacky little things that happened to stave off boredom briefly in all my crappy old jobs would make a decent comedy. That would be a boring, pointless show too. I don't even think that time a bat got loose in the TV station would fill a decent episode.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Ali07 wrote:
I know Saya-chan's pain quite well: my first day on my own I ended up leaving over fifteen minutes late because I had no ability to get her off the phone without being rude(at least in my mind).

Ah, customer service...

melmouth wrote:
Such jobs are generally so confining and boring that the jokes and routine antics of fellow workers are the only source of pleasure to be found in them. Therefore when your fellow workers are either very likable or even harmlessly weird and nutty, like the characters in SxS, they're doing you a favor! In short, SxS is the trapped office worker's dream come true. And I loved it as such.

Well said! Co-workers were what got through the mundane job I worked when I was younger.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm another person for whom this was one of my favorite shows of that season. Its being low-key was one of the draws. It wasn't trying to be The Office with yucks a minute. It was a slice of life about work at a government job, with situational comedy that intended to amuse and make you connect to the characters, not make you ROTFLYAOHAHAHAHAHA.

So if you want the latter, rent The Office (the British one). If you want a low-key feel-good story about adults in the work place, give it a shot.
Lann

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:26 pm Reply with quote
This anime was like a breath of fresh air from everything else! I've seen too many anime titles that try to do the same thing to the point that you end up thinking 'been there done that'. This one however kinda didn't.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:15 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
This anime is "cute quirky girls do cute quirky things of no consequence...in an office building!"

You could just as easily dismiss Azumanga Daioh as anime where "cute quirky girls do cute quirky things of no consequence...in school!" The description isn't "wrong" but it is highly reductive and gives no indication of what a great comedy Azumanga Daioh is. Now, I don't claim Servant x Service is as good a comedy as AD - I don't believe it is. But I think tagging this show with the above description as if that's all that was going on does it a disservice. For one thing, the males in this show are important characters and a big source of the comedy, so even on that simplistic level dismissing it as a cgdct title is inaccurate.
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:37 am Reply with quote
The whole 'goes nowhere' isn't a negative at all to me.

This show is a great way to buffer between hyper action and plot intensive stories and just unwind, relax and chill out with.

Kind of sad to hear slice of life style and iyashikei get so much bum rap with the anime reviewing community almost everywhere around the net. Not every story needs to push boundaries or be a compelling, edge of your seat experience.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2