• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Sunny FUNi

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The11Doctor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:02 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Vapors wrote:
A little bummed to hear no big updates on any of the Sunrise rescues from last year. On the other hand, that's not all bad since I'll be spending plenty this summer with a slew of classic rereleases. (And I hope they do right with not only Cowboy Bebop but Escaflowne too)

Sounds like the earliest we could expect anything will be late 2014.

Has Sentai done anything with the Sunrise license rescues they picked up at the same time? I don't think I've heard anything about those since AX 2013 either…
Not anything yet. They are more then likely in the same boat still like Funimation is.
Judge Of Toyama

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:20 am Reply with quote
Would it be possible to compile a list of the questions that people send in for this show through email or twitter and send them to Funimation in advance so they can ask the people who would know the answers where they would be more prepared instead of giving I don't know as an answer for almost everything? I really do like these Industry shows but not having answers for questions all the time is beginning to discourage me from listening.

Also, a question about the funimation shop. Whose idea was it to offer a free Attack on Titan t-shirt midway through the $20 off promotion if you spend $100 leaving out the people who had already spent that much money and not making it right for them? Seems kind of sloppy to me.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Judge Of Toyama wrote:
Would it be possible to compile a list of the questions that people send in for this show through email or twitter and send them to Funimation in advance so they can ask the people who would know the answers where they would be more prepared instead of giving I don't know as an answer for almost everything? I really do like these Industry shows but not having answers for questions all the time is beginning to discourage me from listening.

Here's the thing: almost all of the questions we get - and I filter out roughly 60% of them that are "are you going to license [x]" - would constitute an announcement on Funimation's behalf.

"Are you going to dub these extra features?"

Even if they had an answer for that, which they didn't when we recorded, it'd be an announcement. New information isn't really what happens during Twitter time, but those are the questions people ask. Submitting Twitter questions ahead of time would get a bunch of "we can't say anything at this time" prepared answers instead of "I don't know" not-as-prepared answers.

It's the nature of doing a show with a company like this - we can talk about previous releases, upcoming already-announced stuff, performance on titles that have been released, and that's about it. We cover most of that in the interview section so the Twitter stuff is largely "are you going to [thing they haven't said they'll do yet]" questions, which they won't/can't answer no matter who's on the show.

We ask anyway, and maybe sometimes you get a nugget of something new. For me the real purpose of these shows is to check-in and get clarification on what we already know and to ask about performance on various experiments. I like knowing how they're characterizing things internally - for me, it was interesting to hear that the ratings on Space Dandy didn't seem to mean much to them in terms of performance, and that OniAi didn't seem to inspire much confidence for sub-only releases. That stuff is what we learn during these episodes.

I'll keep doing 'em the way I'm doing 'em. It's just important to understand what kind of info you're going to get from them.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:13 pm Reply with quote
As much as I am for Attack on Titan coming out, the 009 Re:Cyborg movie dub is what I am really hoping they announce a cast/release date. A few weeks ago when I asked them on Facebook if they had any updates, they said that they didn't.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
As much as I am for Attack on Titan coming out, the 009 Re:Cyborg movie dub is what I am really hoping they announce a cast/release date. A few weeks ago when I asked them on Facebook if they had any updates, they said that they didn't.

All we know is that NYAV is doing the dub for that one, as Anime Limited were actually the ones who commissioned it.

Unless for some reason FUNi decides to create their own, separate dub for the film, which honestly, in this day and age, would be pretty foolish of them. Neutral
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:49 pm Reply with quote
It'd be nice if they'd get the VA that worked on the Toonami Cyborg 009.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
It'd be nice if they'd get the VA that worked on the Toonami Cyborg 009.

A lot of those voice actors aren't even in the business anymore. I know that Joshua Seth - the voice actor for the main character - hasn't done any anime voice acting in years.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:11 pm Reply with quote
While I know that they record it in advance, Dorothy "Cyborg 003" Fahn has been Konan in the Shippuden video games.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm a little excited for their Cowboy Bebop set. I've never owned the series, despite loving it and the personal significance that it has, so I figure that I'm more than due. It'd be great if they could provide some soundtracks and awesome if it included a translation of the Keiko Nobumoto novel that was in the Japanese release. There's so much that they could add that it could end up being a very expensive product, but unless it can only be bought with that hypothetical trillion-dollar platinum coin that was proposed as a way to circumvent Congress' refusal to raise the debt ceiling, I'll buy it.

I certainly hope that they license Lupin the IIIrd: Daisuke Jigen's Gravestone. I liked Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine tremendously and would love to see more with a similar feel. I suppose that I'll have to hope that being a film makes it a acceptably low-risk investment for them.

I'm not surprised, or particularly miffed, that they have erred toward not dubbing extra features, although I didn't quite grasp the line between choosing to provide more of their own and not dubbing the Japanese ones. It might just be that the juice isn't worth the squeeze. It's a little more disappointing when something more substantial like Hellsing: The Dawn isn't dubbed than, say, the puppet theater bits for Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~, but since even that's not the marquee feature, I find scarce need in myself to complain.

I would like to know more about FUNImation's organization and business practices. I realize that's a very dull subject, but I think that a coherent, complete explanation of how they, or any other company, operates might prove insightful. I've gotten an impression that certain parts of their business are relatively decentralized, but that could easily be a misimpression. It could be an interesting exercise to try to relate their organization and practices into outcomes. Then again, people might just draw stupid conclusions. In part I wonder if something about that might account for some of the quality control issues that they've suffered with things like the too-narrow Psycho-Pass artboxes and damaged discs in theAttack on Titan limited editions. That's not meant to be condemnatory and accusatory, just curiosity if there's something to it beyond 'accidents happen'. I wouldn't be surprised if budgetary and personnel constraints are at the heart of it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
I would like to know more about FUNImation's organization and business practices. I realize that's a very dull subject, but I think that a coherent, complete explanation of how they, or any other company, operates might prove insightful. I've gotten an impression that certain parts of their business are relatively decentralized, but that could easily be a misimpression. It could be an interesting exercise to try to relate their organization and practices into outcomes. Then again, people might just draw stupid conclusions. In part I wonder if something about that might account for some of the quality control issues that they've suffered with things like the too-narrow Psycho-Pass artboxes and damaged discs in theAttack on Titan limited editions. That's not meant to be condemnatory and accusatory, just curiosity if there's something to it beyond 'accidents happen'. I wouldn't be surprised if budgetary and personnel constraints are at the heart of it.

You'll find that most organizations aren't very open about revealing their inner-workings. I imagine that translations and script writing are fairly easy work to do remotely, and I believe most, if not all, discs are labeled as "Made in Mexico," but that doesn't mean the entire process is offshored.
FrameFreeze100

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:18 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
I'm not surprised, or particularly miffed, that they have erred toward not dubbing extra features, although I didn't quite grasp the line between choosing to provide more of their own and not dubbing the Japanese ones. It might just be that the juice isn't worth the squeeze. It's a little more disappointing when something more substantial like Hellsing: The Dawn isn't dubbed than, say, the puppet theater bits for Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~, but since even that's not the marquee feature, I find scarce need in myself to complain.

Thing that probably annoys a lot of fans is that a couple years ago Funimation did a great job dubbing extra anime content and at this point all that good faith has been chucked away.

No reasons given. No promises to improve and do better, because we all know they can do better.

We do live in a "what have you done for me lately society" and Funimation has sunk to a new low.

Aniplex USA dubbed their Blue Exorcist Ura-Eku shorts (2013)

Sentai Filmworks dubbed their Queens' Blade: Rebellion shorts (2013) and Samurai Bride shorts (2014).

Viz Media dubbed their Accel World shorts (2014).

Funimation who started this trend has now been overtaken by rivals and doesn't seem to care.

What has Funimation; the largest R1 distributor of English dubs done? Not much... but say "huh, what and hmmm"
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:43 am Reply with quote
FrameFreeze100 wrote:
What has Funimation; the largest R1 distributor of English dubs done? Not much... but say "huh, what and hmmm"

Yeah, not like they've managed to stay consistently successful in a turbulent market. Funi really ought to abandon a couple of shows after a first boxset, go bankrupt and reform under a number of different entities, or just stop paying taxes and ruin their reputation with content creators and consumers alike! Then we'd really appreciate them!

Those other companies obviously see dubbed extras as a profit generating extra, while Funi doesn't. And if that's working for Funi, then good for them.
FrameFreeze100

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:22 am Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:
Those other companies obviously see dubbed extras as a profit generating extra, while Funi doesn't. And if that's working for Funi, then good for them.

You're welcome to believe that but majority of other fans I've talked with have assumed Funimation has gotten lazy and there's a ton of miscommunication within the company.

And it's not just concerning extras but several departments (Press Releases, Acquisitions, Marketing, Customer Service)

Hiring more qualified and passionate people would probably help the situation but over the years multiple employees have often said everybody in the company is like family so unfortunately I don't see this happening anytime soon... Rather keep around people who are just passable at their jobs who they like instead of hiring newcomers who would be great
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:44 am Reply with quote
hmmm, maybe this was covered somewhere else and I missed it, and perhaps Justin can correct me if I'm wrong, but...

Isn't BluRay HARD CODED as widescreen? The only way to DO a BD is widescreen, and you need crop if you are a 4:3 show... even worse for people like me with BD, but an old stoneage TV... BD+4:3 gets you cropping all the way round.

just a thought.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:48 am Reply with quote
@ArthurFrDent
The term "crop" or "cropping" means to remove part of the original picture.

What they do when they properly show a 4:3 show on wide screen media is put wide bars, usually black, on either side of the picture to fill the screen. If you want to fill a wide screen with a 4:3 show, you have to remove part of the top or bottom of the picture to make it wider than normal. Alternatively you can spread the original picture across the wider screen which distorts everything. Neither is a good option.

What is happening to you is that a show with the bars on either side of the picture to make it wider is now compressed back to the width of your TV putting additional bars at top and bottom of the screen. I'm not sure if this can be avoided on Blu-ray.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4