• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony, Marza Animation Planet to Make Sonic the Hedgehog Movie

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:38 am Reply with quote
As long as Dr. Eggman doesn't look like his "Sonic '06" self, this has potential. Hopefully it will be a light-hearted movie, and won't be dark and gritty like Michael Bay's Transformers.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:32 am Reply with quote
I wish I could be less cynical about this but even so, this just has all the signs of failure. Hopefully theyre at least smart enough to know that we dont want "DAAK n Grits" in our sonic but in that case why mix it with live action? I like sonicnas much as the next guy but the franchise honestly makes me wonder....
ParkerALx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:08 am Reply with quote
HA! This is going to be absolutely terrible and amazing at the same time. I can't wait to see this train crash and burn. When Sonic fails, he fails hilariously. Very Happy
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Thatguy3331 wrote:
I wish I could be less cynical about this but even so, this just has all the signs of failure. Hopefully theyre at least smart enough to know that we don't want "DAAK n Grits" in our sonic but in that case why mix it with live action? I like sonicnas much as the next guy but the franchise honestly makes me wonder....

What about "Sonic Sat Am?" You know, the only Sonic cartoon people actually liked?

To the people comparing it to "Alvin and the Chipmunks," "Smurfs," and "Sonic '06," they didn't suck because of the clashing visuals. They sucked because of poor writing, juvenile jokes, forced pop culture references, and poor game design (for S06). If they made "Alvin and the Chipmunks" completely animated, but left everything else in, are you telling me it would have been infinitely better?
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
To the people comparing it to "Alvin and the Chipmunks," "Smurfs," and "Sonic '06," they didn't suck because of the clashing visuals. They sucked because of poor writing, juvenile jokes, forced pop culture references, and poor game design (for S06). If they made "Alvin and the Chipmunks" completely animated, but left everything else in, are you telling me it would have been infinitely better?

This. I personally found Sonic '06's story to be just fine. It was the incomplete game that made it horrible. Even if I did still have fun with it. Because going into a game, well-aware of its glitchy nature, and with the intention of breaking it as much as possible, can be fun. =P
But yeah. If this is going to have American Hollywood writing from the guy who made Smurfs, I'm going to be skeptical. Still, anything can happen and I'm willing to give one of my favorite franchises a chance in any format.
kanechin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:52 pm Reply with quote
annnd we're back in the sonic cycle but worse this time. No good new handheld games to play.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Now if they called him Dr. Robotnik, maybe there'd be a bit of hope...
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I dunno abouOHAHAHAHAHAHA who am I kidding this will be terrible. :|

Yeah, I dunno what to say. I was happy with the 90s OVA. Seriously. That's how it's done. If only there had been one based on CD, or Sonic 3, or one that featured stages from the games more prominently, etc. Other than that, I have zero faith in a 2010s Hollywood movie adaptation.

I too am not overly concerned about the "live actors with CG characters" juxtaposition, BTW. You just need good writers with a sense of the games' (talking the classics and I guess Adventure) atmosphere and style, and a passionate director.

And I would prefer a dark story, that's why I'm worried that a couple comedians are writing it. Let's not talk down to kids, or Sonic fans who are mostly far older, shall we?
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Thatguy3331 wrote:
I wish I could be less cynical about this but even so, this just has all the signs of failure. Hopefully theyre at least smart enough to know that we don't want "DAAK n Grits" in our sonic but in that case why mix it with live action? I like sonicnas much as the next guy but the franchise honestly makes me wonder....

What about "Sonic Sat Am?" You know, the only Sonic cartoon people actually liked?

A cartoon that existed a decade or so ago dosen't really light up hope for how this film will turn out.

I'd love to hope that the writers for this are actually competent, regardless of wether it's a light or dark toned story but given sonic's track history regarding these type of things it's REALLY hard not to get skeptical, especially with the games themselves trying to get stable footing (I heard lost world was a mixed expirience and even though they aren't part of the main series time can only tell forsonic boom). It's something I'll keep an ear out for but otherwise I won't try and put to much hope in this, anythings better than being disappointed.
electricpatriot

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Oh my god! *facepalm* Seriously?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2