• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Extravagant Excitement

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Etrien

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:38 am Reply with quote
Nintendo definitely had the most appealing showing for me. For the first time since its unveiling, I finally kind of want a Wii U.

And I also thought I had no interest in Hyrule Warriors whatsoever. Then they brought out Midna.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:04 am Reply with quote
KoujiTamino wrote:

People are still saying this?

And they won't stop either. It's gone from annoying to outright boring.
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:28 am Reply with quote
The Microsoft event wasn't terrible, but it wasn't really all that exciting to watch either.

Sony's was a snooze. I was hoping for at least 1 or 2 cool PS3 announcements, but didn't really get any. The Sony of America president (?) coming out towards the end was torture with all his business-speak.

I was pleasantly surprised with Nintendo - my WiiU doesn't normally get as much use as my PS3, but that looks as if it will be changing in 2015.

I have yet to see any negative reactions to Splatoon. It looks like some kind of mashup of Mario/Zelda characters and Jet Grind Radio sans the skating.

BIG Xeno-series fan, salivated through all of their coverage of X.

Anyone give consideration that we may be able to customise our main character in the new WiiU Zelda if the game follows a more open-world vibe like Skyrim? I'd totally love to see a lady "Hero of Time", but I'm beginning to wonder if these rumors of that ~not being Link~ in the trailer is because you get to create/customise your own original Hero of Time.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:33 am Reply with quote
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:
The Microsoft event wasn't terrible, but it wasn't really all that exciting to watch either.

Sony's was a snooze. I was hoping for at least 1 or 2 cool PS3 announcements, but didn't really get any. The Sony of America president (?) coming out towards the end was torture with all his business-speak.

I was pleasantly surprised with Nintendo - my WiiU doesn't normally get as much use as my PS3, but that looks as if it will be changing in 2015.

I have yet to see any negative reactions to Splatoon. It looks like some kind of mashup of Mario/Zelda characters and Jet Grind Radio sans the skating.

BIG Xeno-series fan, salivated through all of their coverage of X.

Anyone give consideration that we may be able to customise our main character in the new WiiU Zelda if the game follows a more open-world vibe like Skyrim? I'd totally love to see a lady "Hero of Time", but I'm beginning to wonder if these rumors of that ~not being Link~ in the trailer is because you get to create/customise your own original Hero of Time.

It was debunked by Aonuma:

http://mmgn.com/wiiu/news--that-was-link-in-zelda-wii-u-trailer-aonuma

He was being humorous because he found it odd how anybody could NOT see that that was clearly Link in the trailer.
casualfan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:04 am Reply with quote
Personally I dont like Nintendo's strategy of only focusing on their own franchises. They seem to ignore the blockbuster multiplatform titles. As someone who isn't big into Nintendo's franchises their stance here just assure me that I have to pick either MS or Sony for my current-gen platform.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:31 pm Reply with quote
casualfan wrote:
Personally I don't like Nintendo's strategy of only focusing on their own franchises. They seem to ignore the blockbuster multiplatform titles. As someone who isn't big into Nintendo's franchises their stance here just assure me that I have to pick either MS or Sony for my current-gen platform.

That's why I feel Nintendo is the strongest, usually. It's pathetic to see Sony and Microsoft brag about something like Call of Duty when it's available for the other console as well. They have zero to do with that game so why are they bragging about it like it's some selling point for their console when you can just get it for the competition instead? Anything that isn't an exclusive is worthless to talk about and is just wasting time. Let the third party companies talk about that game at their own booths. Nintendo's the only company that actually focuses on exclusives, because exclusives are all that you can judge a console on in the end.

AiddonValentine wrote:
He was being humorous because he found it odd how anybody could NOT see that that was clearly Link in the trailer.

It's like people forget that Link is a bishounen pretty boy, so they see some girly looking boy in the trailer and they think it can't be Link. Some people don't know much about Japanese aesthetics or tropes sometimes.

The whole talk about Metroid made me realize why I find most gamers annoying. If Nintendo makes a new IP people complain "Where's Metroid? Where's Star Fox? Where's F-Zero?" If Nintendo makes a new Nintendo game, people complain "Where's the new IP, Nintendo? Why do you just rehash the same games all the time?." Nintendo's best course of action is to ignore all those people because they don't know what they want.

They'll make a new Metroid when they feel like it. You shouldn't rush companies. They tried pumping out a bunch of sequels in a short amount of time with the Prime sub-series and look at how samey those games were. There was little difference in gameplay style between Prime 1, 2, and 3 because they all used the same engine and style. Now compare Metroid 1 to Metroid 2, and Metroid 2 to Super Metroid. Graphical overhauls, gameplay overhauls, different styles between each entry. Ironically, Prime was done up as a shooter style format so it's a bit fitting since it all blends together like a yearly shooter installment for other companies do these days.

My main point is, people say they want new games in these franchises, but do they really want constant installments of these games every year or so? Well, apparently so given the success of Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty, so I guess I'm wrong. But I personally can't tell you the difference between the six Assassin Creed games that have come out for the Playstation 3 console generation, they all play and feel the same to me with barely any addition to them despite having more entries on one console than some franchises have spread out across every console since the NES. I'd rather not see the same thing happen to Nintendo franchises. Whether you love or hate a certain Nintendo game, you actually remember it and can say why you love/hate it which is a testament to how their games can stand out from one another. One or two games per console generation is enough to me, personally. Six is a bit overkill, to be honest. I'd rather have 2 really standout titles rather than six samey and forgettable ones.

-Stuart Smith
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Nintendo only focuses on exclusives, because that's all they have.

Thats not a good thing.

I also I don't get the constant Prime bashing that I honestly only see on ANN. Hmm I wonder if there is a connection?

Pretty much everywhere else sees them for the constantly well made and inventive games they are. Samey, generic, soulless are words I've never seen used to describe them except on ann from certain members with certain agendas. Users who constantly bash "shooter" games claiming they are all the same when it's clear they don't even play them.

KoujiTamino wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Bayo 2 because it's being held hostage--

People are still saying this?
Sorry thats how I feel. I don't care if Nintendo was the one that saved the game. I was there day one to support Bayonetta and loved the game and now I have to buy a $200 system I don't want just to play it's sequel. It's annoying and I don't like it.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

That's why I feel Nintendo is the strongest, usually. It's pathetic to see Sony and Microsoft brag about something like Call of Duty when it's available for the other console as well. They have zero to do with that game so why are they bragging about it like it's some selling point for their console when you can just get it for the competition instead? Anything that isn't an exclusive is worthless to talk about and is just wasting time. Let the third party companies talk about that game at their own booths. Nintendo's the only company that actually focuses on exclusives, because exclusives are all that you can judge a console on in the end.

Indeed; while MS and Sony were busy stroking the egos of the multiplats, Nintendo came in with a friggin' ONSLAUGHT of unique hardware. Seriously, look at this list:

Splatoon
Mario Maker
Fantasy Life
Bayonetta
Hyrule Warriors
Code Name S.T.E.A.M.
Captain Toad
Devil's Third
Mario Party 10
Yoshi's Woolly World
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright
The Legend of Zelda
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Project Giant Robot
Project Guard
Star Fox
Pokemon ORAS
Super Smash Bros.

That's over a dozen titles coming out either this year or next year. That is an INSANE numbers of titles from just one company, even if some of them are collaborations with partners. And they span a wide variety of genres and play styles. Sony and MS are, at the end of the day, nearly identical and their exclusives lineups are lacking. While they can't carve out an identity Nintendo is only boosting their own.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:26 pm Reply with quote
edited.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
AsherFischell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Nintendo's the only company that actually focuses on exclusives, because exclusives are all that you can judge a console on in the end.

What about how comfortable and durable the controller is, how powerful the hardware is, longevity of the console's components, the amount of power the console uses, quality of the console interface, online service preference, how well multi-platform games run and variety of features?
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Nintendo only focuses on exclusives, because that's all they have.

Thats not a good thing.

This is the first time I've ever heard someone saying a console having a bunch of exclusives are a bad thing... it's really surprising! Usually I see people complain there isn't more exclusives for a console.

Quote:
I also I don't get the constant Prime bashing that I honestly only see on ANN. Hmm I wonder if there is a connection?

Pretty much everywhere else sees them for the constantly well made and inventive games they are.

I've actually seen plenty of people who dislike the Prime games for a variety of reasons. The most obvious audience who doesn't like it is Japan. Yeah, perhaps the majority of Americans like them since they're FPS and that genre is popular here, but you're being pretty defensive if you're trying to downplay any criticism for it as some small community thing. And honestly that's what you seem to be doing in recent threads. Any thread which has people congratulating or praising Nintendo's E3 presentation you're quick to show up and downplay it as quick as you can with snide remarks or saying it wasn't actually that good. Now even with Nintendo being the sole reason for Bayonetta 2's existence, a franchise you just say you like, you still begrudge and insult them to find ways to demonize them for it. The only person with an agenda I see here is you to be perfectly honest.

If you have no interest in that laundry list of games, then the mature thing would be to realize Nintendo consoles aren't for you. I don't see why you have to keep harping on the point and reminding people of your disapproval. Gamer entitlement has really gotten bad about this nerd tribalism thing. If a company isn't catering specifically to them then it's a terrible company. I don't really have any interest in those AAA games but I'm not going to insult Sony or Microsoft over it. I realize I'm not the target audience for all those AAA games. I'll just wait until TGS where we'll get a bunch of Japanese developers hopping on board with the PS4 since I know E3 is mostly an American convention.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This is the first time I've ever heard someone saying a console having a bunch of exclusives are a bad thing... it's really surprising! Usually I see people complain there isn't more exclusives for a console.
Actually what I'm saying is there are no options outside of the typical Nintendo games. If I were to pick up a Wii U I only have Nintendo games. The other consoles don't have this problem.

Quote:
I've actually seen plenty of people who dislike the Prime games for a variety of reasons. The most obvious audience who doesn't like it is Japan. Yeah, perhaps the majority of Americans like them since they're FPS and that genre is popular here, but you're being pretty defensive if you're trying to downplay any criticism for it as some small community thing.
See I was right, it comes down to an American vs Japan thing. First I don't care what the Japanese think. 2nd your generalization dosen't even hold water. That's my problem with this supposed criticism that makes it hard to believe the people have actually played the game. The Prime games are not FPS. They don't play like your typical FPS. They are games that are in First Person. The Prime games have an incredible focus on puzzle solving and exploration. Even the shooting is less "HEATSHOT BOOM" and more "what power do I USE". There is nothing souless and generic about the worlds and enviormental storytelling seen in Prime 2 and 3. You want a game that feels generic and un-caring in it's level design. Play Metriod Other M. The worlds of most of the Prime games are booming with ambient storytelling. Sorry, a lot of the criticism especially when it feels the need to point out that "of course Americans love it because it's FPS even though it's unlike any other FPS" sounds like a case of western=bad more then anything else.

Quote:
The only person with an agenda I see here is you to be perfectly honest.
Well of course you'd think that.

Quote:
Any thread which has people congratulating or praising Nintendo's E3 presentation you're quick to show up and downplay it as quick as you can with snide remarks or saying it wasn't actually that good.
Because pretty much all these threads have posts that like to subtlety(unsubtly really) point out how terrible everything not Japanese is. Of course, you don't seem to have a problem with that do you?

Quote:
Now even with Nintendo being the sole reason for Bayonetta 2's existence, a franchise you just say you like, you still begrudge and insult them to find ways to demonize them for it.
I didn't buy Bayonetta with the idea that future games would be on Nintendo systems.
Quote:

I don't see why you have to keep harping on the point and reminding people of your disapproval.
I don't see why people need to constantly bash western games either, but here we are.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Still complaining about Other M...I'm tired of seeing dead horses beaten over and over until the've become carcasses. Every chance you get you'll go and kick it just because watching it bleed satisfies you.

Do you know why Nintendo's franchises have lived as long as they have? Because they tend to rely on gimmicks and fresh twists on their franchises with some being better than others. It seems Nintendo might have gotten themselves out of their rut. Everything they announced sparked my interest.

I never played the original Beyonetta and I'm super glad that it's being bundled with the sequel. Sadly I spoiled the ending for myself. Sola toon looks like an interesting new IP. As for the Mario Maker, bring on the Kaizo levels!
sfried

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
I guess Nintendo won for some people, but they showed very little that makes me personally interested. Just the same old Nintendo stuff.

I don't know if you would count Splatoon as "same old Nintendo stuff", as its a brand new IP.

Rahxephon91 wrote:
Actually what I'm saying is there are no options outside of the typical Nintendo games. If I were to pick up a Wii U I only have Nintendo games. The other consoles don't have this problem.
I'm actually going to cll your bullshit on this one. I do believe they had a good balance of games shown, even for older content, like Xenoblade Chronicles X, Bayonetta, and oddluy enough Devil's Third. Splatoon won me over though as being really original, and the kind of game you see and want to play badly.

gloverrandal wrote:

But the best part was the creator of Ika Musume mentioned it on Twitter and drew some fanart for it and joked he'd love to have Ika-chan DLC for it.

https://twitter.com/masahiro_lemon/status/476493097484816384/photo/1

Last edited by sfried on Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
sfried

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Also Rahxephon91 I dunno whether your criticisms aren't really a sublte nudge of port-begging for these Nintendo exclusive games to be on other consoles. Maybe you were disappointed there was no The Last Guardian shown or that Lily Bigermo became this aweful generic Let It Die.
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Sorry thats how I feel. I don't care if Nintendo was the one that saved the game. I was there day one to support Bayonetta and loved the game and now I have to buy a $200 system I don't want just to play it's sequel. It's annoying and I don't like it.

You just hate to admit you have to eat crow and buy aWii U. That, or you're pretty much a Ninty hater.
ikillchicken wrote:
On the bright side, Nintendo really knocked it out of the park. They showed so much amazing stuff. Going into E3 I was only really looking forward to X. Other than that the Wii U had little on the horizon. (I'm kinda over Mario Kart and Smash Bros). But now, there's all kinds of stuff. I won't bother going through it all game by game as I already did in another thread but suffice to say it looks great. And Project Steam which they just announced sounds fantastic. Sadly, little of what they announced will likely change their situation. They're mostly just preaching to the choir with most of this stuff, great as it may be. Although maybe the likes of Xenoblade X and Bayonetta 2 will finally get a few of the more fringe Nintendo fans to buy a Wii U. In any case, as a Wii U owner I'm thrilled.
Its too bad, really. Nintendo's always damned no matter what they do. "Haters gonna hate" as they would say. And if there's one thing I learned about this E3, like Reggie says, "Not my problem." (To hell with the Nintendo haters essentially)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6