Forum - View topic
The X Button - Extravagant Excitement


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Soundmonkey44



Joined: 25 May 2010
Posts: 1243
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
The fact that crappy FPS,zombie, and "dark n gritty" games are what's considered mainstream & Nintendo is considered niche just goes to show how backwards people's views on maturity are and pathetic modern gaming/media is.

Games should be about fun & creativity, not super macho bro dude dark/grit/sex/violence/cursing people out on your Xbone/Playstation when playing online.

But yea, Nintendo has lots of fun stuff this fall/holiday season and into 2015, hopefully it will get more people to buy a 3DS/Wii-u and remember games should be about fun, not some false sense of accomplishment/glory.


That could not have come across any dumber or more fanboying. The medium advancing in what it can do is not a bad thing. Trying to rewind content to the days of the Nintendo seal of quality is.


If advancement means a loss of creativity, that's rather sad. Crying or Very sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Guile



Joined: 18 Jun 2013
Posts: 505
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Yeah Sunset Overdrive is just a typical shooter. Complete with the generic Jet Set Radio visuals and incredible free movement in how you interact with the environment. So generic and a typical shooter with platforming elements. Totally like Gears and CoD.


I wouldn't say Sunset Overdrive looks like Jet Set Radio. Jet Set Radio was cel-chaded and had a distinct retro looking visual style. Sunset Overdrive is typical CG and has a modern style, just a bit more colorful than your usual shooter is these days.

I loved Nintendo's presentation and felt they did the best. Every game they unveiled I was interested in. Smash and Zelda U are my most look forward to games. Captain Toad looks interesting as well.

Dragon Age III disappointed me. It seems Bioware learned nothing from Dragon Age II. The original Dragon Age was interesting for being a turn-based tactical RPG. Dragon Age II turned it into a very button mashy hack and slash action game which threw everything from the original game into the bin. Dragon Age III looks like it's going to be more of that.

Soundmonkey44 wrote:
If advancement means a loss of creativity, that's rather sad.


I know how you feel. Anytime I read a website that proposes a question in the vein of "when will video games finally grow up?" where grow up is measured in either social issues or striving for mainstream success, I can only shake my head in disappointment. We can not forget that advancement always comes at a cost. I've seen far too many franchises get destroyed in their attempts at advancement.

One recent sting was the reboot of Thief. It plays nothing like Thief anymore and was heavily dumbed down. It's easy to see why they did it. Thief was a niche series that didn't appeal to the mainstream crowd, and now it does. I don't normally use silly internet video reviews to prove a point, but Zero Punctuation's Thief review really hits the nail on the head. Presumably because I know Yahtzee was a huge Thief fan just like I was.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ikillchicken



Joined: 12 Feb 2007
Posts: 7272
Location: Vancouver
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:40 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:
The new generation of kids are growing up on tablet and mobile games. Not Nintendo.

And you don't see the irony in that statement of Nintendo focusing on a mobile console and console with a tablet controller?


The 3DS and Wii U are only superficially similar to mobiles/tablets though and they're not remotely in line with why people (or at least casual/younger players) are gaming on them these days. It's not because they have a touch screen and/or are portable like the Wii U and 3DS. Rather, it's primarily because they are cheaper, more convenient and infinitely more multifunctional. It just doesn't make sense for that audience to buy a several hundred dollar dedicated gaming machine or full priced games anymore when they can just as well download games on the phone they in all likelihood already own. That's really the problem they're facing. Gamers tend to look at it as "what does a tablet/mobile offer in terms of gaming that a console doesn't" but that's wrong. The real question is "what does a tablet/mobile offer NOT in terms of gaming" and the answer is damn near everything.

Look, I like Nintendo. From a fan perspective I think what they're doing is great. But people have to recognize that right now they're kinda between a rock and a hard place. Their family friendly image doesn't appeal to most serious gamers (some, but definitely not most) but the product they offer, dedicated gaming devices, just doesn't appeal as much anymore to the casual and family audience either. I hope they figure out a way to make it work. Or at least, I hope they do well enough to get by. But burying our heads in the sand and refusing to see the problem with it as a business model is just childish.

Soundmonkey44 wrote:
If advancement means a loss of creativity, that's rather sad. Crying or Very sad


It doesn't. If you'd take off your fanboy blinders for a minute you would see there is room enough in gaming for all manner of games. No one genre has a monopoly on creativity. There are creative M rated shooters. There are boring, derivative family friendly platformers. A fool who would dismiss either group entirely knows nothing of either creativity or advancement.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Hypeathon



Joined: 12 Aug 2010
Posts: 1175
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:52 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
The Splatoon thing just seems epidemic of Nintendo being portrayed as a kid's toy. Whether they like it or not, this is supposed to be a rival to Titanfall, but it is portrayed as non violent paintball.

Says who?! Who in the hell on the internet or outside of the internet since E3 said that?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gloverrandal



Joined: 20 May 2014
Posts: 398
Location: Oita
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:03 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Their family friendly image doesn't appeal to most serious gamers (some, but definitely not most)


What is 'serious gamer'? I'm an adult gamer and I like them. You say, 'some, definitely not most' but that's a weasel word to substitute how you personally feel to allow you to pass off your opinion as a widespread fact.

If a "serious gamer" is someone who shuns anything that isn't dripping in macho male masculinity out of some deep rooted insecurity, then I don't want to buy into that kind of mentality that seems to plague the western gaming scene these days. If that means those "serious gamer" can't enjoy a game like Splatoon, that's really their fault and no one else's. I'm not ashamed at all to admit to liking it, or Mario, or Pokemon, or Final Fantasy. It's actually a bit sad to see that kind of conditioning in our society.

I suppose that's why Nintendo is one of the only companies out there these days with a very large and vocal female demographic, in no short thanks to franchises like Mario, Animal Crossing and Pokemon. Games the "serious gamer" might label as kiddy. So, no, Nintendo doesn't make it a priority to alienate everyone but the 12 - 24 male demographic of "serious gamer" if that's what you were trying to say.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DuskyPredator
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!It...it's not like I post for you or anything!


Joined: 10 Mar 2009
Posts: 13924
Location: Brisbane, Australia
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:17 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Gamers tend to look at it as "what does a tablet/mobile offer in terms of gaming that a console doesn't" but that's wrong. The real question is "what does a tablet/mobile offer NOT in terms of gaming" and the answer is damn near everything.

Isn't that exactly what everyone gave Microsoft a lot of trouble over last year?

Did I even say that 3DS and Wii U do everything that makes tablets or mobiles a good choice. I pointed out the irony about saying Nintendo has no place as child gaming source when Nintendo are totally those parts. 3DS is a totally mobile console that I can take anywhere, I can download games on, and interact with people on the fly. And Wii U can use the ease of a tablet controller that can allow interacting with the game through it, apparently I can even use it to control the television a little like the volume, which I sadly could not set up properly yesterday.

Maybe it is not doing what all the kids are playing with, but it is not like they were before when games were not as popular.

And probably have to say that is not getting helped by hardcore gamers because of being very family friendly, probably one reason it was not doing incredibly. But they have Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors, Smash Bros, and there were some interesting choices with their conference, like Robot Chicken.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Rahxephon91



Joined: 08 Jun 2003
Posts: 1804
Location: Park Forest IL.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Did I even say that 3DS and Wii U do everything that makes tablets or mobiles a good choice. I pointed out the irony about saying Nintendo has no place as child gaming source when Nintendo are totally those parts. 3DS is a totally mobile console that I can take anywhere, I can download games on, and interact with people on the fly. And Wii U can use the ease of a tablet controller that can allow interacting with the game through it, apparently I can even use it to control the television a little like the volume, which I sadly could not set up properly yesterday.
I did'nt say they have no place. i said they've lost ground in that place and they have. 3DS sales here sure aren't as strong as DS sales and that's because that audience is easily supported by the cellphones they or thier parent are bound to have. Also on those platforms it is far easier to play something like Temple Run or Angry Birds either for free or far cheaper then anything on the 3DS.

Maybe the Wii U was aimed at doing the same thing, but it sure hasn't taken off that way. The tablet is in no way a replacement for your ipad or whatnot.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
ikillchicken



Joined: 12 Feb 2007
Posts: 7272
Location: Vancouver
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:57 am Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
What is 'serious gamer'? I'm an adult gamer and I like them. You say, 'some, definitely not most' but that's a weasel word to substitute how you personally feel to allow you to pass off your opinion as a widespread fact.


Uuuuuuuuuggggggggg. You are literally the worst.

ikillchicken wrote:
On the bright side, Nintendo really knocked it out of the park. They showed so much amazing stuff. Going into E3 I was only really looking forward to X. Other than that the Wii U had little on the horizon. (I'm kinda over Mario Kart and Smash Bros). But now, there's all kinds of stuff. I won't bother going through it all game by game as I already did in another thread but suffice to say it looks great. And Project Steam which they just announced sounds fantastic.


I like Nintendo. I like their games. I am a Nintendo fan. I'm sadly one of the only people here who seems capable of looking past their personal preference and accepting the reality that most modern gamers don't really find that appealing. That's not my opinion. Nintendo makes some pretty awesome games. That's my opinion. Nintendo's abysmal sales numbers with the Wii U are a fact though. Of course, there's absolutely a niche that likes them. Hence the reason I said "some". But we're kidding ourselves if we pretend that group isn't in the minority.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
enurtsol



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 13914
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:12 am Reply with quote
Ha, like Nintendo vs Sega back in the days, but back then it's the reverse. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lostrune



Joined: 09 Jun 2012
Posts: 277
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:18 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Nintendo's abysmal sales numbers with the Wii U are a fact though.


Speaking of which, maybe someone can clue me in why we take turns bashing the Wii U pinata when it has a significant sales lead over the Xbox One in both hardware and software sales. Does Microsoft have diplomatic immunity or something? Laughing If the Wii U has abysmal numbers then the X-Bone must be really hurtin'.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DuskyPredator
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!It...it's not like I post for you or anything!


Joined: 10 Mar 2009
Posts: 13924
Location: Brisbane, Australia
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:34 am Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:
Speaking of which, maybe someone can clue me in why we take turns bashing the Wii U pinata when it has a significant sales lead over the Xbox One in both hardware and software sales. Does Microsoft have diplomatic immunity or something? Laughing If the Wii U has abysmal numbers then the X-Bone must be really hurtin'.

Well the Wii U did get an advantage of time in being the first, and yet hugely underperformed expectations that it worried the CEO. After so many titles released it would be expected to sell more.

Xbox One is still reeling from the hate bandwagon where it was cool to make fun of it, at the very least responses to Microsoft's part in E3 is positive from a large focus on games. With expected price drop and to come exclusives there will be an increase.

Both have really hurt from lack of games too, only now seems that Nintendo are getting some things a lot of people want.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken



Joined: 12 Feb 2007
Posts: 7272
Location: Vancouver
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:57 am Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:
Speaking of which, maybe someone can clue me in why we take turns bashing the Wii U pinata when it has a significant sales lead over the Xbox One in both hardware and software sales.


Oh, that's easy. Because the Wii U is a year and a half old. The XBO is six months. Selling only a bit more in 3x as long is in no meaningful way better. So basically, the premise of your question is wrong. XBO hasn't done great. It has distinctly been a second fiddle to PS4. But it hasn't been a failure by any means. Whereas Nintendo's massive losses, constant slashing of sales projections and general state of disarray has been well documented.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Chrno2



Joined: 28 May 2004
Posts: 6157
Location: USA
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:31 am Reply with quote
Sounds like they had a good line up. Too bad that 'Last Guardian' didn't make an appearance. I really hope that this game will emerge. From the titles listed I had the chance to check some of them out. Seems most of them (No Man's Sky, Ori, Abzu and others) are going for an artistic look and have interesting gameplay. So I'm keeping my eyes on them. I don't know what's up with Suda51, it seems that after No More Heroes he's been producing somewhat "hit" or "miss" type games. But again it's too early to tell how this game is going to turn out. But folks are calling it "snuff". I'm surprised that Monolith is coming out with another 'Xenoblade' game. Now I may have to track down an affordable copy for our collection. It's a shame we hadn't started collecting Wii games because we could have had this buy now. I'm surprised that FFXV wasn't there. I guess we'll have to wait until the next round. But I wonder if it will be available fall of this year or Spring of next?

Some of the Wii games looks pretty good too. That Yoshi's Woolly World looks interesting. I do have to admit, regarding Nintendo games they do try to take an interesting approach even if some of the game mechanics are the same. All around good line up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Beatdigga



Joined: 26 Oct 2003
Posts: 3139
Location: Here!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:56 am Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
The Splatoon thing just seems epidemic of Nintendo being portrayed as a kid's toy. Whether they like it or not, this is supposed to be a rival to Titanfall, but it is portrayed as non violent paintball.

Says who?! Who in the hell on the internet or outside of the internet since E3 said that?


All I mean by that is that they're console exclusive online shooters designed to bring In a large crowd with different takes on a standard FPS death match. That's all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Dessa



Joined: 14 Jul 2004
Posts: 4434
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:27 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Their family friendly image doesn't appeal to most serious gamers (some, but definitely not most)


Quote:
I like Nintendo. I like their games. I am a Nintendo fan. I'm sadly one of the only people here who seems capable of looking past their personal preference and accepting the reality that most modern gamers don't really find that appealing. That's not my opinion.


No, all of that is your opinion, and, in my opinion, it's completely off base. I have tons of gamers in my friends, on my friends list, in my regulars at work, and the only company that anyone ever gets excited for is Nintendo. Sure, the Wii U isn't doing as well, but the 3DS? The 3DS is the handheld to have. Sure, there's commentary on a Vita game every once in a while. But floods of 3DS talk. Other than 3DS games and Mario Kart 8, as far as I'm aware, the only other video games that came out in the last 1-2 months was apparently Watch Dogs and 1001 Spikes. Because no one cares about anything else, and even then, no one talks about those. Not when they can talk about Nintendo releases instead.


Honestly, I find your use of the term "serious gamers" offensive. I'm a serious gamer. I've put hundreds of dollars into my game collection. I play games just about every day. The total number of games that even interest me that have been announced for PS4/XBOne, that aren't being released on a different system? 3. That's it. Entwined, Abzu, and Kingdom Hearts 3. There's more in that for Vita, but I dislike the Vita as a system.

The number of games for 3DS (which I have) and Wii U (which I don't)? I've lost count, there's too many.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group