• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods to Have Red Carpet Premiere in L.A.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Second Fire Shadow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:21 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Second Fire Shadow wrote:
And in some cases it sound more natural in English. Black Lagoon, Cowboy Beebop, Code Geass, Death Note, Fullmetal Alchemist, Evangelion, countless Gundam shows, every movie Hayao Miyazaki has ever made. The list is endless.

Opinions. Fact is, Japanese version, first version. It was how the show was made. It should get a screening, regardless of how much you personally prefer the English version. Because it's the actual core movie.

Then why didn't you do yourself and go to Japan when the movie first debuted there?

Dragon Ball fans have been desperate for Battle Of Gods to get dubbed because you haven't been able to find that version anywhere, for obvious reasons.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:23 pm Reply with quote
AutoOps007 wrote:
none of the other 20-30 countries that licensed it showed the japanese version, so why should funimation? why don't you have a go at all those other countries, rather then singling out funimation.

I don't live in those other countries. I certainly would hope they would play the Japanese version in every country that licensed it in addition to their respective language dubs, but I'm not in those countries, and that wouldn't do me any good.

That I have to actually explain this to you is disheartening indeed.

Then why didn't you do yourself and go to Japan when the movie first debuted there?

Dragon Ball fans have been desperate for Battle Of Gods to get dubbed because you haven't been able to find that version anywhere, for obvious reasons.

Sure, I'm going to buy plane tickets to Japan, go there, buy movie theater tickets, sit there, watch a 90 minute movie, then buy return tickets. Surely that is a reasonable resolution.

Technically North American fans haven't been able to LEGALLY find the Japanese version of the movie here, either. And since it's the original version of the movie, it should also be shown, and also be highlighted in any premier events. Because, as I've said, it is the actual, core movie that Toei made.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:30 pm Reply with quote
The problem is you hate the English dub for this show to the point of lunacy so you're dumping on this event, which is for the premiere of the English dub under the guise that somehow you're the guy who cares about the integrity of the film so much more than anyone else.

The film had a red carpet premiere in Japan a year or two ago when it debuted there. This is for the premiere of the English dubbed version. You won't be attending anyway so I'm not sure why you're even showing up in this thread, much less trying your hardest to make sure that it's about you and your opinions, which based on the comments here everyone is very familiar with so the need for you to restate them seems minimal at best.
deaththekid666

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:31 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
English dub cast only, you'd almost think it was an American cartoon, not one made in Japan.

Well, it's what Funimation wants to you think, and has wanted you to think for decades.

Can you like shut the hell up dude? Wah, wah, wah. Enough.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:32 pm Reply with quote
For God's sake penguintruth. Most of the people who have seen the film already online, only have seen the original Japanese version. Nobody has seen the dubbed version, so it would be redundant to show the same version.

This is utterly asinine; not everyone is an internet nerd doing Google searches for the latest Dragon Ball film. Maybe some people would like to enjoy a film in its original language in a theater? You sound incredibly defensive about something that would offend absolutely no one; a Japanese showing.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
The problem is you hate the English dub for this show to the point of lunacy so you're dumping on this event, which is for the premiere of the English dub under the guise that somehow you're the guy who cares about the integrity of the film so much more than anyone else.

The film had a red carpet premiere in Japan a year or two ago when it debuted there. This is for the premiere of the English dubbed version. You won't be attending anyway so I'm not sure why you're even showing up in this thread, much less trying your hardest to make sure that it's about you and your opinions, which based on the comments here everyone is very familiar with so the need for you to restate them seems minimal at best.

Taking the side of the character assassins, very bold of you, Zac.

There's nothing in my hatred for an inaccurate, disrespectful dub of the show that is lunacy. And requesting that the original version of a show made in Japan, the Japanese version, be represented, is hardly "dumping". I was the only one to even post in this thread before the nuts came out of the woodwork just to argue with me.

Last edited by penguintruth on Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:35 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
AutoOps007 wrote:
none of the other 20-30 countries that licensed it showed the japanese version, so why should funimation? why don't you have a go at all those other countries, rather then singling out funimation.

I don't live in those other countries. I certainly would hope they would play the Japanese version in every country that licensed it in addition to their respective language dubs, but I'm not in those countries, and that wouldn't do me any good.

That I have to actually explain this to you is disheartening indeed.

and you still fail to see the point...

you are having a go at funimation when all the other companies that licensed it is no different. you say that the japanese version in every other country wouldn't do you any good. what good will having a go at funimation do if everyone else is no different?

the point is that the people who want to see japanese people in theatres are the minority, and funimation can't cater to everyone.

the fact that i had to explain that to you twice and completely ignored my first comment is disheartening.

like i said before, you should've went to japan if you wanted to see the japanese version in theatres that badly.

Last edited by AutoOps007 on Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:37 pm Reply with quote
AutoOps007 wrote:
like i said before, you should've went to japan if you wanted to see the japanese version in theatres that badly.

If you think this is a realistic solution, nothing you have to say is worth responding to.

A few screenings of the Japanese version is not going to hurt Funimation. It is the actual movie Toei made. A little respect for it might go appreciated by the people who enjoy the TV show for what it is.
Second Fire Shadow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:39 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Zac wrote:

Taking the side of the character assassins, very bold of you, Zac.

There's nothing in my hatred for an inaccurate, disrespectful dub of the show that is lunacy. And requesting that the original version of a show made in Japan, the Japanese version, be represented, is hardly "dumping". I was the only one to even post in this thread before the nuts came out of the woodwork just to argue with me.

I have feeling that penguintruth is like Fry from Futurama, in where he got frozen in 1999 and got unfrozen only a few months ago and is having a hard time adjusting the drastic change of dubbing for Dragon Ball.

Last edited by Second Fire Shadow on Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
VegettoEX

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:40 pm Reply with quote
AutoOps007 wrote:
none of the other 20-30 countries that licensed it showed the japanese version

Many (most?) of them did in fact show it in its original Japanese language track with subtitles. I'd have to double-check those numbers, but yeah, lots of JP showings. It was a good mix at the very least.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
And some people wish Nozawa would pass on already so someone else who's voice isn't that of Satan's can be cast.

As a Dragon Ball fan, as an anime fan, and simply as another human being, this is a horrifying, disgusting, and embarrassing thing to read.
Second Fire Shadow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:45 pm Reply with quote
VegettoEX wrote:
AutoOps007 wrote:
none of the other 20-30 countries that licensed it showed the japanese version

Many (most?) of them did in fact show it in its original Japanese language track with subtitles. I'd have to double-check those numbers, but yeah, lots of JP showings. It was a good mix at the very least.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
And some people wish Nozawa would pass on already so someone else who's voice isn't that of Satan's can be cast.

As a Dragon Ball fan, as an anime fan, and simply as another human being, this is a horrifying, disgusting, and embarrassing thing to read.

Man, even VegettoEX is getting into this debate. And the plot thickens... Smile
bs3311

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:56 pm Reply with quote
AutoOps007 wrote:
why don't you have a go at all those other countries, rather then singling out funimation.

He bashes HELLOVALOT more on Sentai/ADV than Funimation any day from what I seen from him/her.

penguintruth wrote:
Opinions. Fact is, Japanese version, first version. It was how the show was made. It should get a screening, regardless of how much you personally prefer the English version. Because it's the actual core movie.

I can agree with you on saying that Dragon Ball Z's dubs have been a little bad except maybe for Chris Ayres Freeza or Seans Goku. Hell, I think TeamFourStar's abriged versions voices are the best dub. And I wish they actually dubbed through the series.

But Japanese dubs are just like any voice over work in a medium. They don't get quality treatment. They are treated like any acting procedure on a deadline. Some of the casts are also rigged due to certain agents in said studio wanting a specific actor in it for either the sake of wanting to, or to advertise it. Yuki Kaji is basically a japanese Greg Ayres, but worse IMO. Sure he had some good roles, but his popularity is basically for the female demographic.

2nd. The japanese dub does not define the show/movie in it being the first when it was not in mind by the studios when animated. They in fact animate it past key frames with no use of sample audio from actors until past the half way point in the process. Unlike American studios that have them by the first sets of key frames/scripts.

3rd. Funimation is tied into having to deal with the american market when cashing in this series on its movie premeire. Maybe some of the staff prefer the japanese audio since even Gen Fukunaga had to bring this show over somehow after watching some of it with probably being attached to the japanese dub. But to make a decent profit in the mainstream audience, you gotta think like the mainstream audience through any means necessary. Even through cheap ways. Its sick, I know. But thats one of the ways to succeed. And even I might not like it through the many ways Funimation does it. But unlike Psycho-Pass or Attack on Titans cheap advertisements and script changes yet with no big success. Dragon Ball Z is attached to a part of english culture with those ways of thinking.

4th. Some dubs in america are watched over and reviewed by the japanese creators. Like with Chris Ayres dub of Ef - A tale of memories/melodis from what I have heard. The script was chained down with uses of honorifics. But it was a smash hit from my view. Others in some of Funimations dubs, maybe not so much since they take big steps in liberalising dubs and that most creators don't even care about the dub. Mostly for the lack of understanding english in-depth.

PREACH, ZAC! TESTIFY!

Settle down. His view of Penguintruth does not make it the actual truth of the anylasis in this argument just because he is the moderator. Or make Zac the bigger man when he is just commenting. Penguin IMO is very indepth to the japanese dub of DBZ, and I respect that. But I can argue about it if I want to. Like his view of NGE's dub that was even before Bebops and given the limitations in ADV's studio, it IMO as fact shined given with 3 minor problems in my book. And I will stand by that given I praise it, yet critisize it in some aspects. SINCE ALL DUBS FROM ALL OVER THE WORD HAVE ISSUES!
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:07 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
AutoOps007 wrote:

If you think this is a realistic solution, nothing you have to say is worth responding to.

A few screenings of the Japanese version is not going to hurt Funimation. It is the actual movie Toei made. A little respect for it might go appreciated by the people who enjoy the TV show for what it is.

First of all, those people who 'enjoy the TV show for what it is' can just buy the dvd/blu-ray.

like is said before, the people who want to see it in japanese in theatres are the minority. Clearly, the demand for a japanese screening is very low.

'A few screenings of the Japanese version is not going to hurt Funimation' - First of all you don't know that, and secondly, if they did manage to sell enough tickets, the profits would't be much, therefore showing the japanese version isn't worth considering in the first place, especially considering the demand for it is very low.

Also, If nothing im saying is worth responding to then why had you already responded to me twice already? clearly, if that's the case, having a go at funimation and complaining about it on a forum isn't going to do any thing now is it?

If you want a realistic solution, here's one then: Go complain about it to Funimation. Email them, call them, contact them via social media, go to a convention they're attending and talk to them in person.

Those are certainly more realistic solutions then being a keyboard warrior on a anime forum.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:11 pm Reply with quote
I have feeling that penguintruth is like Fry from Futuram, in where he got frozen in 1999 and got unfrozen only a few months ago and is having a hard time adjusting the drastic change of dubbing for Dragon Ball.

It's not as though I lack confidence in their ability to do an accurate English version of the movie in 2014, but when they continue to ONLY go after the English dub audience, not just mostly, but ONLY, when doing promotional events, it comes off as being a bit disrespectful to the people who actually made the movie.

Last edited by penguintruth on Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Second Fire Shadow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
For God's sake penguintruth. Most of the people who have seen the film already online, only have seen the original Japanese version. Nobody has seen the dubbed version, so it would be redundant to show the same version.

This is utterly asinine; not everyone is an internet nerd doing Google searches for the latest Dragon Ball film. Maybe some people would like to enjoy a film in its original language in a theater? You sound incredibly defensive about something that would offend absolutely no one; a Japanese showing.

I'm not trying to be defensive. I'm just stating the obvious, the majority of Dragon Ball Z fans in the US would rather hear the movie in English, because it's their preferred version. If they wanted to see the Japanese version, they would have seen it online, because it's available online and in Blu ray in Japan!

Last edited by Second Fire Shadow on Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5