• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods to Have Red Carpet Premiere in L.A.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Second Fire Shadow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:16 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Second Fire Shadow wrote:
I have feeling that penguintruth is like Fry from Futuram, in where he got frozen in 1999 and got unfrozen only a few months ago and is having a hard time adjusting the drastic change of dubbing for Dragon Ball.

It's not as though I lack confidence in their ability to do an accurate English version of the movie in 2014, but when they continue to ONLY go after the English dub audience, not just mostly, but ONLY, when doing promotional events, it comes off as being a bit disrespectful to the people who actually made the movie.

If that's the case, then every dub of every ever anime ever made is disrespectful to the original source material. If this is the case, you must hate Toonami...
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:21 pm Reply with quote
The point is that this is, specifically, the premiere for the English dub. What do you want when you say you're just asking for "representation of the original"? Do you want them to have a red carpet premiere here for the original Japanese version, fly out the cast from Japan and not have one for the English dub?

Do you want them to hold two premieres, one for the Japanese version and one for the English version?

Do you want them to have two theaters available, one showing the dub version for fans who want that one and then another one for the Japanese version, specifically at this premiere event?

Just tell me what you expect Funimation to do instead of what they're doing, exactly. Otherwise it just seems like you're trying to pick a fight over an event that's pretty specific in what it's aiming to do. It's kinda like you saw a flyer for an event celebrating veggie burgers and so you demand that hamburgers be served because you prefer hamburgers and that's the original version so the entire thing is disrespectful to hamburgers.

Last edited by Zac on Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm not trying to be defensive. I'm just stating the obvious, the majority of Dragon Ball Z fans in the US would rather hear the movie in English, because it's their preferred version. If they wanted to see the Japanese version, they would have seen it online, because it's available online and Blu ray in Japan!

You essentially ignored me. The movie is only going to be in theaters for four days; five if you wish to count this red carpet event. It would literally do no harm whatsoever to anyone if FUNimation were to play both versions in that timespan.

The logic that you can find the original version through other means is faulty because A) The same will be true for the English dub eventually, and B) It's not the same as actually watching the movie in a movie theater. I've yet to see anyone offer a compelling reason why this is impossible, or even bad.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:22 pm Reply with quote
The fact that this is even a big enough deal to be bickered over to this degree saddens me beyond belief. Stay classy, Dragon Ball fandom...I just love being a part of you sometimes.

Personally, I'm on the side that yes, this is an American screening, and a limited one at that, so it's really not that big a deal that it's the dub that's going to be played. There is absolutely nothing about that that's worth this amount of vitriol being tossed at it. If someone was that diehard up to ignore the dub by all means possible, they could have easily imported a copy of the film already and watched it at home. Yes, that's not the same as seeing it on the big screen, but the film is the film either way.

That said though, if FUNi's other big movie events like this one have had at least one screening of the subtitled version, than yeah, it is a little off that they're not treating this film the same way. I understand that Dragon Ball is it's own monster separate from other anime, even when they're finally treating it with more respect after so long, but still - if that's how the other events operated, it really is strange not to do it again here.

In the end, all I know is I'm really tired of seeing two sides of the same fandom always being ready to rip each other apart. We now live in a time where both versions of the show are readily available, so why is it so freaking impossible for people to just like what they like and not want to diss other people for their own opinions, which like it or not, are just as valid as your own? For crying out loud.

Oh, and the whole 'wish Nozawa would die' thing is disgusting, and would be no matter who said it about whichever actor. Learn some empathy for god's sake.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, maybe wanting her to move off this plane of existence was too much, more like I'd hope she permanently retires from voice acting.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
The point is that this is, specifically, the premiere for the English dub. What do you want when you say you're just asking for "representation of the original"? Do you want them to have a red carpet premiere here for the original Japanese version, fly out the cast from Japan and not have one for the English dub?

Do you want them to hold two premieres, one for the Japanese version and one for the English version?

Do you want them to have two theaters available, one showing the dub version for fans who want that one and then another one for the Japanese version, specifically at this premiere event?

Just tell me what you expect Funimation to do instead of what they're doing, exactly. Otherwise it just seems like you're trying to pick a fight over an event that's pretty specific in what it's aiming to do. It's kinda like you saw a flyer for an event celebrating veggie burgers and so you demand that hamburgers be served because you prefer hamburgers and that's the original version so the entire thing is disrespectful to hamburgers.

A lot to say very little, huh?

The point is the entire English dub culture the people in charge of DBZ at Funimation foster in the fandom, undermining the original version of the show by only emphasizing their terrible remasters, plugging directly into the nostalgia for a version of the show that... isn't the show. Sure, they try to dub things more accurately now, but they're sabotaging their own efforts by playing to the cheap seats.

This English dub-only premiere is just endemic of a bigger problem.

If that's the case, then every dub of every ever anime ever made is disrespectful to the original source material. If this is the case, you must hate Toonami...

That is some impressive mental gymnastics.

Theaters and television networks are different. You can expect a foreign movie to be shown in its original language in some theaters. Television networks generally aren't going to air the subtitled version of something.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Second Fire Shadow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
I'm not trying to be defensive. I'm just stating the obvious, the majority of Dragon Ball Z fans in the US would rather hear the movie in English, because it's their preferred version. If they wanted to see the Japanese version, they would have seen it online, because it's available online and Blu ray in Japan!

You essentially ignored me. The movie is only going to be in theaters for four days; five if you wish to count this red carpet event. It would literally do no harm whatsoever to anyone if FUNimation were to play both versions in that timespan.

The logic that you can find the original version through other means is faulty because A) The same will be true for the English dub eventually, and B) It's not the same as actually watching the movie in a movie theater. I've yet to see anyone offer a compelling reason why this is impossible, or even bad.

But you can't find English dubbed version because it's not available yet. I'm sure after July or August latest, there will be several English dubbed version available on the internet. But for now we don't have a dubbed version. For every Pixar or Disney movie that's ever been released in the US, have they ever made a few special screening for Japanese or any other language than English in the US during it's original run? And keep in mind, Pixar and Disney films are insanely popular in Japan, and have been so for many years.

Last edited by Second Fire Shadow on Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:37 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

A lot to say very little, huh?

The point is the entire English dub culture the people in charge of DBZ at Funimation foster in the fandom, undermining the original version of the show by only emphasizing their terrible remasters, plugging directly into the nostalgia for a version of the show that... isn't the show. Sure, they try to dub things more accurately now, but they're sabotaging their own efforts by playing to the cheap seats.

This English dub-only premiere is just endemic of a bigger problem.

Well, at least you got to the point instead of pointless complaining about an event you had zero intention of attending regardless of which version they're showing.

I'm done, try not to kill eachother.
rds9674

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm just going to sum up the issue in one word, and then I'll expand on that one word.

Apathy.

Funimation is apathetic toward the segment of the fandom that demands preferential treatment for the original Japanese version because the vocal portion of that segment is minuscule. And the greater fandom is apathetic toward that segment.

So, until more fans actually speak up and say they want to see the Japanese version on the big screen, it just isn't going to happen. Or it will be limited to the convention circuit - if you're lucky, maybe the con can rent out a nearby theater instead of just playing it off a laptop in a panel room.
rds9674

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:12 pm Reply with quote
For every Pixar or Disney movie that's ever been released in the US, have they ever made a few special screening for Japanese or any other language than English in the US during it's original run? And keep in mind, Pixar and Disney films are insanely popular in Japan, and have been so for many years.

I think you have something backwards there. Those are American films, so there's no reason (outside of specialty theaters catering to a specific culture - e.g. an area with a very, very heavy Hispanic population) for there to be non-English screenings in America.

The question should be, how many first-run English-language screenings of Disney/Pixar films are there in Japan?

Last edited by rds9674 on Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Second Fire Shadow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:12 pm Reply with quote
rds9674 wrote:
I'm just going to sum up the issue in one word, and then I'll expand on that one word.

Apathy.

Funimation is apathetic toward the segment of the fandom that demands preferential treatment for the original Japanese version because the vocal portion of that segment is minuscule. And the greater fandom is apathetic toward that segment.

So, until more fans actually speak up and say they want to see the Japanese version on the big screen, it just isn't going to happen. Or it will be limited to the convention circuit - if you're lucky, maybe the con can rent out a nearby theater instead of just playing it off a laptop in a panel room.

Dude, this situation can be applied to any movie that ever released out side of it's native country and language. Pixar, Disney, Studio Ghibli, etc. You really shouldn't single out Funimation and refer to "apathetic" when they simply do what any other distributor would do when handling foreign film another country.
rds9674

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:20 pm Reply with quote
rds9674 wrote:

Apathy.

Dude, this situation can be applied to any movie that ever released out side of it's native country and language. Pixar, Disney, Studio Ghibli, etc. You really shouldn't single out Funimation and refer to "apathetic" when do what any other distributor would do when handling foreign film another country.

I'm not "singling them out", because I never said they were the only company with that attitude. Fact is, the market for screening foreign-language films has been drying up for the last several years, and was never much more than a niche market to begin with, being mostly limited to art house theaters and the occasional morning screenings at larger cineplexes.

And Funi isn't completely apathetic either - they still give us Japanese audio on their DVD/BD releases. I'm just saying that they, like most distributors, don't see much interest in theatrical screenings of the original versions.
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:24 pm Reply with quote
I just want to know when the Blu-ray is out. I assume soon after the theater version.
Amara Tenoh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:28 pm Reply with quote

But really. This has gone on for three pages and that's far enough. There's a difference between expressing your opinions and waging complete war against someone else's opinion. If this goes on any further, staff will have to be called.

Anyway, this is exciting news. With how successful this movie has been, you have to wonder if another movie will soon be in the works.
SteveUzumaki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to play the devil's advocate here. I do agree with penguintruth that there should be a screening of the Japanese version of the movie, even though it is available online and on DVD/Blu-Ray in Japan. I own the R2 DVD of the movie so I can testify to that. However, I think that this is amazing news that Dragon Ball is getting a red carpet premiere in Los Angeles.

The English dub for Dragon Ball is arguably more popular than the original Japanese, and both versions have their good points. The Japanese version has hand-picked cast members by Toriyama himself, while the English dub actually has adult Goku that sounds like an adult.

But because the English dub is supposedly more popular, I would think that showing just the dub would garter a wider audience of people. Most people that I've spoken to that have seen Dragon Ball have told me that they have NOT seen the original Japanese, thus further validating my claim. If you lived in an English speaking country and watched Dragon Ball on TV, odds are that you grew up watching it in English, and thus the English dub brings out the nostalgia factor as well.

Personally, I like both versions of Dragon Ball, and having already seen the original Japanese version, I'd love to see the English dub, provided it makes its way to a theater near me. And to those saying that Nozawa-san needs to pass on or retire, that's a little much eh? As one of the lucky few who met her at Animazement 2013, I can say that she's a very kind and humble woman.

This is just my 2 cents on the matter.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5