• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods to Have Red Carpet Premiere in L.A.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GekiRed

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:42 pm Reply with quote
AutoOps007 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
First of all, "weeaboo" is 4chan fodder. There is nothing in my comments that indicates that I want to be Japanese, prefer Japanese things as a rule, or anything. This is a f***ing anime forum. If you're not into anime, which is from Japan, and generally in Japanese, then what are you even doing here?

Second, it is a Japanese film. Made in Japan. In the Japanese language. It is foreign film, which tends to be released here, you know, in its original language audio, occasionally with a dub, but usually with subtitles. I don't live in Japan. I want to see the Japanese version in theaters here, like I would see any other foreign film that might get a screening. That's not being a "weeaboo".

If you seriously use the word "weeaboo", maybe you shouldn't be here. Some people might see that you like Japanese cartoons and make the assumption!

none of the other 20-30 countries that licensed it showed the japanese version, so why should funimation? why don't you have a go at all those other countries, rather then singling out funimation.

the reason they're showing it in dubbed is because it caters to a larger audience. the people who want to see it in japanese are the minority, so why does funimation (or any other company for that matter) have to cater them?

simply put, the majority of people who want to see the movies in theatres want to see it dubbed. sure some people want to see it subbed, but theyre the minority and funimation can't cater to everybody.

be thankful that you're even getting it in theatres at all

I actually agree with AutoOps007 and the other people here who are saying what they're saying about you.

I've read a lot of your posts over the years and most of what you've said has never made sense.

If you want people to agree with your views or to be respectful towards you, you have to change your attitude towards certain subjects otherwise people are going to hate you even more.

I know everyone is entitled to their opinion, but there's no reason to say derogatory things about certain subjects.
Onmyoji

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:12 pm Reply with quote
I think the fact that we get a chance to see DragonBall Z on the big screen in the U.S. and Canada is friggin amazing. It's something I'd never thought I'd get the chance to see and the fact that they're giving it the full red carpet treatment kinda makes me swell with pride having been a fan for so long. Can't wait to get my booty in the theater seat with a big heap of popcorn to flip out with my anime loving brothers and sisters!

This video pretty much sums up how I feel!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ejTKFbn3s8
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
TopGunman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:41 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
TopGunman wrote:
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
JEFFMAN219 wrote:
Why are people still responding to pinguinthetroll? He's just a no life dub hating loser.

Much as I disagree with him, and as much as I don't like his attitude, a lot of people here are being just as bad.

Some, including YOU, are being worse.

You're not exactly Mr. Right either. You're getting butt-hurt over me preferring Adult Goku not sounding like a woman and finding a male voice being befitting for the character to the point where I'd pick even Corbett or Kirby Morrow over her as well. And I went about that in a bit of a humorous manner. But if you're going to read NOZOWA SUCKS!! from that (weather I think so or not is beside the point) and then have a period over it, that's your problem.

What the bloody hell are you going on about?! Not including this post, I've never spoken to you ONCE on this entire forum.

For the record, I also prefer English Goku, so you're dead wrong on that account as well.

My god, now it seems like you're trying to stir up an argument for no reason. If anyone's a troll, it's YOU.

Many MANY apologies, I hastily read your response as if it were for me because someone else close to your post responded to me. My bad. Embarassed

In my defense, I was kind of in a hurry to go somewhere and I was running late.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Elitism at its absolute worst.

Every argument I've heard/read about dubbed anime from naysayers is not only unconvincing, but the biggest load of bull anyone can ever say.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:17 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Second Fire Shadow wrote:
And in some cases it sound more natural in English. Black Lagoon, Cowboy Beebop, Code Geass, Death Note, Fullmetal Alchemist, Evangelion, countless Gundam shows, every movie Hayao Miyazaki has ever made. The list is endless.

Opinions. Fact is, Japanese version, first version. It was how the show was made. It should get a screening, regardless of how much you personally prefer the English version. Because it's the actual core movie.

....just going to point this out. But the Japanese dub is intended for the Japanese speaking audience and the English Dub is intended for the English Speaking Audience...... so yeah. Each caters to their own and if need be add acceptance to the other. Now to say, that first someone HAS to watch any give anime in Japanese dub and then English dub. Is just play stupid and elitist.
MadHi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Cartoon characters do not have voices, they are given voices by actors who are chosen by directors or whoever else is involved in an anime's production.

Some people take this stuff way too seriously that they forget it's fiction at its most inanimate form.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:30 pm Reply with quote
rds9674 wrote:

The question should be, how many first-run English-language screenings of Disney/Pixar films are there in Japan?

Typically the Japanese dub outdo the English sub.
They plug the Japanese seiyuu to appeal to the masses.
SynergyMan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Japanese film or not, the FUNimation cast has really, really improved, while the JP cast does not give two shits. Sean's Kamehameha is MUCH better than Nozawa. Amazing emotion from Sean. Nozawa sounded as if she was going to pass out. In Japanese, the only great performances from BOG was from Yamadera and Morita, so the dub can easily outperform the original, though DBZ's cast isn't as good as something like Gundam SEED's cast. Man, that anime had a cast.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5