• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[To verify] Shinji Satoh and Shinji Satou possible duplicates.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:03 am Reply with quote
Shinji Satoh
and
Shinji Satou
have the same kanji names entered.

Satou only has one credit and the kanji names on that page are sourced to a Japanese wikipedia article about Hajime no Ippo/Fighting Spirit, (I can't read Japanese, but could tell the topic even before Google translator got crackin' because that show rocks) where Shinji Sato (佐藤真二 romanizations by Google) is credited with Storyboard (絵コンテ), Production (演出), and Animation Director (作画監督). However, neither Satoh or Satou have FS credits currently at ANN. I think this needs a little more research, but I think I'm at the limit of my usefulness.

Satoh's kanji name source is now dead, but is archived here. Google translate gives quite the mess:

脚  本: 筆安一幸
絵コンテ: 佐藤真二
演  出: 白石道太
作画監督: 松崎一

goes to:

Matsuzaki an Animation Director: SHIRAISHI road width: Shinji Sato was演: Yukie Yasuichi brush Conte: Books leg

I think this needs a little more research, but I'm at the limit of my abilities after the above. So if anybody wants to take a crack at it, go ahead.
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:12 am Reply with quote
脚本:筆安一幸 Kazuyuki FUDEYASU
絵コンテ:佐藤真二 Shinji SATOH or Shinji SATOU (different romanizations of さとう for 佐藤)
演出:白石道太 Michita SHIROISHI or Michita SHIRAISHI (both valid readings of 白石)
作画監督:松崎一 Hajime MATSUZAKI

The easiest way to get there would be to simply contribute these data in their kanji form through the normal input form at ANN. That's much more reliable than Google Translate.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:47 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
Google translate gives quite the mess:

脚  本: 筆安一幸
絵コンテ: 佐藤真二
演  出: 白石道太
作画監督: 松崎一

goes to:

Matsuzaki an Animation Director: SHIRAISHI road width: Shinji Sato was演: Yukie Yasuichi brush Conte: Books leg

Sorry for the belated reply. What you need is two different tools: characters in the left column are common nouns (screenplay, storyboard, unit director, and animation director, respectively) so you can use a translator; I recommend Excite Japan instead of Google. The column on the right are proper nouns (people's names) so you can't use a translator; instead you should use a romanization converter e.g. Kanji Converter. Keep in mind that this and other converters can only work on most common names; don't expect them to romanize obscure kanji correctly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Do you still recommend that every contributor tries to translate task names instead of contributing the kanji form?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:59 pm Reply with quote
It wouldn't help much with that example since the roles names are spaced out oddly, but you can also install the Rikai-chan plugin (for Firefox) which provides translations in popups. There's also a "rikai-kun" for Chrome, but last I checked it was still lacking a names dictionary (it is more useful for terms than names anyway).
Just beware that the direct translation for key animation is usually "original picture" etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:27 pm Reply with quote
But why translate tasks at all, instead of contributing them in kanji form and let Dan's translation table do all the work (thus even generating normalized translations)? We all invested quite some effort to get that translation table to its current state - was all this just a waste of time?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Devil Doll wrote:

This page seems to indicate some connection to Hiroshi Mita? I think it is saying he uses one name for directing and one for storyboarding?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1