• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Attack on Titan BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShatteredWorld

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:07 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
How much did Funimation pay you for this review?

AoT is a terrible series which is only liked because edgy teenagers can think they're watching Mature Stuff for Mature Adults when it's a gigantic load of badly-paced awfully animated tripe.

Easily one of the worst shows to come out this past few years.

inb4 this doesn't get approved because it goes against the groupthink.

So because the reviewer has a different opinion that yours, they must be being paid by Funimation? What?

You are just the worst kind of person.
sim0n2170

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:06 am Reply with quote
Very nice review, one of the best.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:24 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Actually, I would also like to see this elaborated on, and I'm saying this as a Moderator. This is the second accusation now in the last few posts of the review having essentially been bought and paid for. If you're going to post accusations like this then you'd damn well better have something more than just a throw-away comment to back them up with.

EDIT: And to be perfectly clear, I have no issue with people merely disagreeing with the review. This is specifically about unsupported accusations of lack of professionalism.

Unfortunately, I don't expect to see any elaboration. This person just joined the forum yesterday. It is most likely just another internet troll running in, lobbing bombs, and then gleefully skipping away into the shadows of anonymity. It's an unfortunate reminder that the internet brings out the worst instincts in people when they are totally unaccountable for their actions. At least Chagen is around enough to take whatever heat might come for making the accusation.

As for my take on the review, I think it was a good review. Hope acknowledged the many strengths of AoT, which I do think deserves the vast majority of the praise that it gets. The emotional connection forged between the audience and the characters in AoT is most definitely its greatest strength. The writers accomplished this in a big way by relying on a tried and true method - start off with our young heroes experiencing an incredible tragedy (usually the loss of a parent or other loved one). Even though it is an incredibly common trope, it works almost every time.

On the topic of that particular trope, I remember reading some of Roger Ebert's old reviews of the American animated films that were cropping up during the experimental 80s and early 90s. Interestingly, he was criticizing experimental American films (many of them created by Don Bluth) for starting the story with the young hero being traumatized by some horrible tragedy. He wasn't sure if American kids could handle such depressing beginnings (i.e. American Tail, Land Before Time, etc...) Yet, those films went on to become fairly successful and spawned numerous sequels and spin-offs. I think it has a lot to do with this concept of connecting the viewer to the main character(s) through such tragic beginnings, and I think the connection is more powerful if the character is particularly young (as Eren was in AoT - exact same thing with FMA, another wildly successful series). To be honest, I think it's kind of weird that Ebert was even questioning this phenomenon given the prime example of Bambi, which is basically an eternal character that will live on forever in the minds of any fan of animated film. But, anyway, I think this is the method AoT uses to hook the viewers and forge the powerful connection between us, Eren and Mikasa (we get a double dose of this trope when we get to Mikasa's background side-story).

There are a ton of other aspects of AoT that I really enjoyed: when the show does action, it does it superbly well; the supporting cast are all amazingly interesting (sooo many diverse eccentricities are utilized, each of which could give L from Death Note a run for his money); the over-arching story is dramatic, fantastical, and deadly serious; style is awesome... there are other positives, but you get the picture.

The biggest downside for AoT as far as I'm concerned is the pacing. At times, the pacing for this show is absolutely dreadful. Often times we would swing wildly from awesome action and tension to long speeches where everything came to a grinding halt. Those numerous speeches about honor and sacrifice and putting your life on the line for the sake of humanity tend to bog things down unnecessarily with over-dramatic slop. Sometimes we seemed to have entire episodes that were focused on such dramatic speeches and reaction shots from characters who were absolutely dumbfounded that their comrades were actually dying, even though they had just experienced the same horror three times in the previous three episodes. It made no sense, and seemed like either the writers taking an opportunity to indulge themselves in excessive drama, or filler material to pad the BDs.

That being said, the pacing issues didn't stop me from loving the show as one of my top series in the last several years. Also, although I am a fan of the show, I definitely agree with Dtm's critique of the nonsensical nature of the general set-up. Attack on Titan makes it easy to suspend your disbelief about all those things, but there is definitely a lot to look past.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:46 am Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:
Doodleboy wrote:
And a lot of the plot-holes you mentioned are kind of solved in story. The great walls for instance is explained. From all anecdotal evidence humanity got wiped out by the Titans during medieval to renaissance time-period. Pretty sure Titan's aren't susceptible to venom. Hell there are reveals later in the manga that might explain humanity's technology is so anachronistic.

Citation needed. I'd actually like to investigate the manga for myself, because if what you're saying is true, then that explains a lot of things.

Really, any way you cut it, there's no way in hell a modern society could fall to Titans; helicopters and ground attack aircraft really would make Titans a nonissue. Hell, you could probably do a decent job exterminating Titans with World War I-era technology; venom-tipped arrows won't do the trick, but what about obscene amounts of mustard gas?

In the end, though, plausibility is second to consistency. At least Hajime Isayama actually adheres to the rules he's set up for his own universe from what I've seen, which is far more than I could say for a lot of other authors.

Shingeki is set in its own timeline and its years don't correspond to our own. It's in its own world.

Reference: Japanese Wikipedia
年号は作品世界独自のものを用いている。

I'm still waiting for my copy of the LE BD to arrive. I caught an episode on Toonami when I was in the States a couple weeks ago. Yeah, not a fan of the dub, but of course I'm also biased. Armin sounds like such a sissy when he yells/screams.
Ronin2081

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:25 pm Reply with quote
There are some issues with the dub, the script seems to be one of the biggest ones. That and some of the names. Of all the names for them to "mess up" Reiner wasn't one that I thought they would mess up. Not sure why they decided to say his name as "Reinah" instead. I'm also a little iffy on Bryce as Eren, it just sounds too much like every other role he has done on Toonami, Rin and Kirito.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:32 pm Reply with quote
As much as I love the dub of Attack on Titan, I do wish they stuck closer to the original script. I like some of the changes, though. Smile

Also, this is probably the best performance Bryce has put out, at least I think so.
IZFSLE

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Just went straight to the comments. There's no point in reading a review of a show I've already seen. It's like people feel the need to make sure someone supports their personal opinion so they make sure other people thought the same about a show.

Anyways, my unbiased opinion is that the show has massive entertainment value, but a very weak character department nonetheless. However, this show just had so much to offer that it carried its own weight despite its obviously lacking character department. This show was driven by "high-octane" moments, as I like to call them, combined with thrilling animation that made many scenes spectacular. Add that to original and intriguing events in the story, my personal favorite being the 57th Expedition Beyond the Wall Arc. The formation they were in and the strategy used in that arc were thrilling to say the least, and really made me think to myself, "this is pretty cool".

As for the pacing, I literally just finished re-watching Titan, and I can confirm with myself that I didn't notice any issues with the pacing. Other people may not like the long story arcs that focus on a single battle/expedition, but I was not bothered in the slightest.

I think this show was VERY solid 8/10. I only give 9's and above to shows with great characters. If I had to pick my favorite character from Titan it would probably be Jean. Still, I will admit that Eren got on my nerves more than once. Especially when he does his maniac smile and says he's going to kill all the titans.

Despite its flaws of which people have pointed out countless times, this show still had massive entertainment value and I can wake up everyday now and look forward to the announcement of season 2.

Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Attack on Titan may be a crowd favorite at the moment but everyone is about to get that Highschool of the Dead shock when nothing more gets released. Like people who want to see further into Berserk get rehash movies and side quests instead of any forward progression.

This series is on that path.

No it's not. You have nothing to base that off of. Studio Wit has already mentioned that this show is not over.

Imo, there are 2 shows right now that will no doubt have continuations even though people are skeptical: Attack on Titan and Haganai. You can even throw in season 3 of High School DxD as well.

Jesus Christ it's only been a little over half a year since AoT finished airing. We will no doubt be seeing a second season, but people want it right away. Not going to happen. Studio Wit spent this year making the OVAs and the movies. I predict season 2 will come out in 2015. But there will no doubt be a season 2.

Last edited by IZFSLE on Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:53 pm Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:

I'm still waiting for my copy of the LE BD to arrive. I caught an episode on Toonami when I was in the States a couple weeks ago. Yeah, not a fan of the dub, but of course I'm also biased. Armin sounds like such a sissy when he yells/screams.

Doesn't Armin always sound like a sissy either way?
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:54 pm Reply with quote
IZFSLE wrote:
Jesus Christ it's only been a little over half a year since AoT finished airing. We will no doubt be seeing a second season, but people want it right away. Not going to happen. Studio Wit spent this year making the OVAs and the movies. I predict season 2 will come out in 2015. But there will no doubt be a season 2.

Considering that Attack on Titan is now one of Toonami's strongest-performing series and that the simuldub of the first season of Space Dandy was reasonably successful, what are the chances that a second season of Attack on Titan will also get a simuldub?
Barbobot

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:
IZFSLE wrote:

Considering that Attack on Titan is now one of Toonami's strongest-performing series and that the simuldub of the first season of Space Dandy was reasonably successful, what are the chances that a second season of Attack on Titan will also get a simuldub?

Probably highly, highly unlikely.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:03 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
GokuMew2 wrote:

Yanno, the super self-serving "I'd be an emotionless badass making super-logical perfect choices in this fantasy situation where giant gross monsters are constantly eating my friends and family alive" response to this show that I see over and over again says a whole lot about the people saying that and not very much about the show or the characters.

Yes, we understand, in this situation where you're watching everyone you care about get brutally slaughtered and every sliver of hope for a future is taken from you at the last minute, you'd be a flawless superhero using perfect reason to solve every problem in the smartest possible way and would never have foolish things like "feelings" about what's happening around you. It isn't a particularly strong criticism of the show, though, or its characters, or how it's written.

Attack on Titan is overwrought but that's part of the charm; I don't get why pointing that out always has to turn into "these characters are such pansies! I'd be a super badass if it were me!" thing. Such ego.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:08 pm Reply with quote
based on Wit's hectic schedule for the first season, and the very little time funi has to dub each episode of Space Dandy, and the fact that a portion of the cast lives in CA and would likely have to put their lives on hold to stay in Texas for however long a second season ran, I'd say very unlikely.
IZFSLE

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:

Yanno, the super self-serving "I'd be an emotionless badass making super-logical perfect choices in this fantasy situation where giant gross monsters are constantly eating my friends and family alive" response to this show that I see over and over again says a whole lot about the people saying that and not very much about the show or the characters.

Yes, we understand, in this situation where you're watching everyone you care about get brutally slaughtered and every sliver of hope for a future is taken from you at the last minute, you'd be a flawless superhero using perfect reason to solve every problem in the smartest possible way and would never have foolish things like "feelings" about what's happening around you. It isn't a particularly strong criticism of the show, though, or its characters, or how it's written.

Attack on Titan is overwrought but that's part of the charm; I don't get why pointing that out always has to turn into "these characters are such pansies! I'd be a super badass if it were me!" thing. Such ego.

For some reason, anime fans tend to love the characters like Kirito from Sword Art Online and Izayoi from Problem Children. The characters who are perfect badasses. I honestly cannot wrap my head around why people love these type of characters so much. I've heard them be called "wish characters", supposedly because people wish they could be like them. Really, is that what it is?

I'm serious, if someone right now can give me some insight on why you love a character like that, please tell me. I might be missing the reason why people love them, so enlighten me.

As for me, I love characters with flaws. Characters that develop. Case and point why people like Tomoya Okazaki, Kyon, and Daikichi Kawachi from Usagi Drop are some of my favorite characters.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:39 pm Reply with quote
IZFSLE wrote:
For some reason, anime fans tend to love the characters like Kirito from Sword Art Online and Izayoi from Problem Children. The characters who are perfect badasses. I honestly cannot wrap my head around why people love these type of characters so much. I've heard them be called "wish characters", supposedly because people wish they could be like them. Really, is that what it is?

I'm serious, if someone right now can give me some insight on why you love a character like that, please tell me. I might be missing the reason why people love them, so enlighten me.

I could argue at length as to how Kirito is actually a very flawed character, but that would be neither here nor there.

In any case, you already hit the nail on the head. They give people something to look up to, to aspire to be. I think the real issue is that we don't get to actually see them claw their way up from mediocrity and overcome their flaws (nobody's completely perfect, after all) to become badasses.
Pipoko

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Hello! I joined this place because I'd like to say that I really love Hope's reviews, not only on the ANN site, but also on Blip. I really like how you analyze what the series you review are actually about on the thematical level. Every (positive) review really makes me want to watch that series and I take your negative reviews into account, as I feel like you are well-spoken, I can always at least understand why you have issues with something in a series. I know you don't really do that many video reviews anymore, but the reviews you do do are a blast to watch/listen to/read once you do make some.

Attack On Titan always keeps me coming back for some reason. I always end up discussing it. By the time ep. 3-4 aired in Japan, I was caught up with the manga, IN TWO DAYS. I've seen the whole series, I think twice (plus the dub stuff) - but not too sure, as I keep rewatching particular chunks - 1-9, 17-18 and 21-22 the most often, I think and I'll probably rewatch it in German (grew up with German dubs!) if I can, which comes out this fall. The pacing can be wonky, even if the "slow" stuff is generally dedicated to character development, it's even more noticible in the manga because it's monthly. The art is terrible in the manga and some of it carries over to the anime, some of the Titans and character expressions just look too comical to take seriously at times, but it isn't overly distracting to me.

I also think the cast is pretty solid and unique. They're human. We know Eren's worldview (granted, we don't know where he got it, but what he did IS brought up in the show, so chances are it will be brought up), we know why he is the way he is, and as far as I'm concerned it's enough for now because a lot of the other cast besides him gets depth. I want to know actually - what would some of you critics Eren like to be like to "make him a good character"? Not to be an asshole, I'm just curious. Mikasa is the same way and in her case we know why she has the world view she has and what it is. Again, she's not a spotlight-stealer, so that's fine. We have entire episodes dedicated to fleshing out particular characters - ep. 1 and 2 for Eren, ep. 6 for Mikasa and Eren, ep. 7 for Mikasa, ep. 10 for Armin, ep. 15 for Hanji, ep. 16 for Jean and ep. 23 for Annie. How much do you want? Yeah, there are many characters that do not get spotlight in season 1, but those who do get a decent amount considering how many characters there are in the series. I'm caught up with manga so I know those who didn't get their share in the anime material, get it in the manga. Maybe it really is because all the characters make so many emotional mistakes and aren't "likeable" that people dislike them? The one and central thing what makes me really like the cast is that they have these "unlikeable" aspects, like real humans do. I don't think there's many series like that, actually, where the "unlikeable" aspects of a character are intentional and used to make the characters more "human" and it's done well.

I love how I've seen some people say that Hannes should have "honourably saved the mother", but that's not what the series is! That's the opposite of what makes it unique. The world is a cruel and unpredictable place, you never know what's coming, that was the point of episode 21. I've seen criticism that the deaths in the series are so abrupt and occasionally "meaningless", but that's the point!

I really like the dub, some of the script choices are sort of "off" I guess it IS the more sarcastic voice? But I don't think anything has been
altered extremely. All the core stuff is still there, even if it's paraphrased or changed somewhat in connotation, I guess. I don't understand the pronounciation thing either, it's not particularly perfect in the Japanese either, but why is it such an issue in English to people?

But hey, that's my wall of text.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6