• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Attack on Titan BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Doodleboy wrote:
And a lot of the plot-holes you mentioned are kind of solved in story. The great walls for instance is explained. From all anecdotal evidence humanity got wiped out by the Titans during medieval to renaissance time-period. Pretty sure Titan's aren't susceptible to venom. Hell there are reveals later in the manga that might explain humanity's technology is so anachronistic.

Citation needed. I'd actually like to investigate the manga for myself, because if what you're saying is true, then that explains a lot of things.

Really, any way you cut it, there's no way in hell a modern society could fall to Titans; helicopters and ground attack aircraft really would make Titans a nonissue. Hell, you could probably do a decent job exterminating Titans with World War I-era technology; venom-tipped arrows won't do the trick, but what about obscene amounts of mustard gas?

In the end, though, plausibility is second to consistency. At least Hajime Isayama actually adheres to the rules he's set up for his own universe from what I've seen, which is far more than I could say for a lot of other authors.
Eri94

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:34 pm Reply with quote
People keep saying the dub is great. But it's not. It's terrible. There are some standouts, but too bad that Mikasa/Eren are not one of them.
scriver058

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:45 pm Reply with quote
^Well i'll be, people have differing opinions!
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:
Doodleboy wrote:
And a lot of the plot-holes you mentioned are kind of solved in story. The great walls for instance is explained. From all anecdotal evidence humanity got wiped out by the Titans during medieval to renaissance time-period. Pretty sure Titan's aren't susceptible to venom. Hell there are reveals later in the manga that might explain humanity's technology is so anachronistic.

Citation needed. I'd actually like to investigate the manga for myself, because if what you're saying is true, then that explains a lot of things.

Really, any way you cut it, there's no way in hell a modern society could fall to Titans; helicopters and ground attack aircraft really would make Titans a nonissue. Hell, you could probably do a decent job exterminating Titans with World War I-era technology; venom-tipped arrows won't do the trick, but what about obscene amounts of mustard gas?

In the end, though, plausibility is second to consistency. At least Hajime Isayama actually adheres to the rules he's set up for his own universe from what I've seen, which is far more than I could say for a lot of other authors.

http://www.crymore.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Commie-Shingeki-no-Kyojin-13-E8E016F4.mkv_snapshot_13.26_2013.07.23_12.15.23.jpg

So before tank technology, before mustard gas, before helicopters, before World War I. Plus one of the characters references to people using medieval-armor before titans appeared later in the series.

Later on reveals well... changes things, but the state of humanity's technology is clearly up to flint-lock rifles and cannons. Other then the vertical maneuvering gear.

Honestly I can nit-pick the realism of the series all day. Ever notice when Dot Pixis explained the bolder plan he was on top of a giant wall with no speech-amplifying technology yet somehow all the soldiers on the ground could hear what he was saying pitch perfectly?

Or that the horses can gallop at full-speed without tiring or breaking and don't spook at the giant chasing after them. I'm pretty sure using Vertical Gear in real life will result in your neck breaking.

But those are minor things, the type of things that fill up the goof's and trivia page on IMDB, not story-breaking issues.

Last edited by Doodleboy on Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:54 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
At least for AoT, I jumped in pretty early on, and I even skipped the ANN previews of it because I just didn't have any info on it--I thought the Titans were some sort of Greek mythology callback. So when the first two episodes got shown at our college anime club, in the dark, with blasting sound, I was hooked. Nowadays, I try to go in with as few expectations as possible; it sets me up for fewer disappointments and far more pleasant surprises. Usually.

There a moment when Eren is defending the castle walls and he is holding a large builder that is similar to Atlas holding the sphere that represents the weight of the heavens.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
whiskeyii wrote:
At least for AoT, I jumped in pretty early on, and I even skipped the ANN previews of it because I just didn't have any info on it--I thought the Titans were some sort of Greek mythology callback. So when the first two episodes got shown at our college anime club, in the dark, with blasting sound, I was hooked. Nowadays, I try to go in with as few expectations as possible; it sets me up for fewer disappointments and far more pleasant surprises. Usually.

There a moment when Eren is defending the castle walls and he is holding a large builder that is similar to Atlas holding the sphere that represents the weight of the heavens.

^^; I should be more clear: I thought the Titans themselves were some sort of Greek mythology rip-off stuffed into an anime, and that the series itself was based in that same mythology.

But hey, nice catch for that visual metaphor!
CeruleanDragon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Eri94 wrote:
People keep saying the dub is great. But it's not. It's terrible. There are some standouts, but too bad that Mikasa/Eren are not one of them.

I watched the dubbed set over the weekend, and I thought it was, overall, excellent, but to each his own. I agreed with most of the casting choices and found most of the voices to be fitting to the type of English voices I was hoping for in my head. What exactly did you dislike about it, or about Eren/Mikasa, I should say, I guess? I thought both of them fit the roles quite well and put out good performances.
ROYCE'

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Yet another shill Hope Chapman review and of AoT no less. What a surprise? Rolling Eyes

Doodleboy wrote:
stuff

Always amusing to see that the people who like this tripe tends to be the most idiotic.

Jayhosh wrote:

Good points. I think some people are so wrapped up in attempting to discover flaws in this series that they tend to forget what any type of entertainment is really about: Enjoyment. And like you said, the in-universe laws are established early on and built upon, but never broken. So what's the problem. Anyway, this show has a lot going for it regardless of the world or characters at hand (although of course they are of the utmost importance).

Maybe I'm just too easily impressed, but I find the main characters to be perfectly "deep." Except for maybe Eren, but at least he had that arc with Levi's squad where he wasn't a total bitch. These days anything or any character is considered stock or cardboard, there's a moniker for everything. Any anime or piece of media in general can be rightfully critized and that's a fact. But at least I can enjoy them for what they are. And naturally, a show that's more popular than the others will likewise garner more criticism as well. It's just a ratio adjustment. So anyway, that's my idealistic view on the whole matter, and I suppose the extremely cynical anime fandom as a whole.

And to user brankoburcksen, in the midst of all the scrutiny we also tend to forget that if it's that popular in the first place then it already has a large group of people who enjoy it for that reason. There's always going to be a negative vocal minority online that only appears larger than what it actually is because the rest are too preoccupied watching the anime they enjoy. And in the end, isn't it your own enjoyment of things that really matters?

Are you really using popularity t exempt this series from any form of criticism? Hype does strange things to people's brains it seems I guess they can't think for themselves now. So by that logic we were all wrong about Twilight. Well the same thing happened with Naruto and Bleach when they first came out I guess it's only natural for people to be the same way about AoT.

Last edited by ROYCE' on Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:52 pm Reply with quote
shill?
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:56 pm Reply with quote
ROYCE' wrote:
Yet another shill Hope Chapman review and of AoT no less. What a surprise? Rolling Eyes

Uh, care to elaborate on that?
Barbobot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Care to actually elaborate on your thoughts on AoT, instead of just quoting someone else and calling them an idiot?
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:41 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
ROYCE' wrote:

Uh, care to elaborate on that?

Actually, I would also like to see this elaborated on, and I'm saying this as a Moderator. This is the second accusation now in the last few posts of the review having essentially been bought and paid for. If you're going to post accusations like this then you'd damn well better have something more than just a throw-away comment to back them up with.

EDIT: And to be perfectly clear, I have no issue with people merely disagreeing with the review. This is specifically about unsupported accusations of lack of professionalism.

Last edited by Key on Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:12 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:09 am Reply with quote
Wow, this is the best review of Muv-Luv Alternative I've seen in a while

...wait? This is a Shingeki no Kyojin review?

I don't even.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:37 am Reply with quote
I'm only as far as the Toonami broadcast, and while I'm not exactly head-over-heels in love with the show thus far, it's certainly been entertaining. It's not hard to see how something like this could garner such huge mass appeal. The one main beef with the show I have thus far is Eren, or more specifically his apparently need to spout some Big Damn Heroes speech every single episode...which he then utterly fails to back up. (Seriously, the kid was speechifying in a flashback spoiler[while being choked to death].) Like, you can tone it down a notch for an episode or two, okay?

Oh, and I never got that whole meme that the OP generated. I mean yeah, it's a cool enough song, but shoving it in with random video clips just feels extremely forced. It's sure as hell no Guile's Theme. Very Happy
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:48 am Reply with quote
ROYCE' wrote:

Doodleboy wrote:
stuff

Always amusing to see that the people who like this tripe tends to be the most idiotic.

Jayhosh wrote:

Good points. I think some people are so wrapped up in attempting to discover flaws in this series that they tend to forget what any type of entertainment is really about: Enjoyment. And like you said, the in-universe laws are established early on and built upon, but never broken. So what's the problem. Anyway, this show has a lot going for it regardless of the world or characters at hand (although of course they are of the utmost importance).

Maybe I'm just too easily impressed, but I find the main characters to be perfectly "deep." Except for maybe Eren, but at least he had that arc with Levi's squad where he wasn't a total bitch. These days anything or any character is considered stock or cardboard, there's a moniker for everything. Any anime or piece of media in general can be rightfully critized and that's a fact. But at least I can enjoy them for what they are. And naturally, a show that's more popular than the others will likewise garner more criticism as well. It's just a ratio adjustment. So anyway, that's my idealistic view on the whole matter, and I suppose the extremely cynical anime fandom as a whole.

And to user brankoburcksen, in the midst of all the scrutiny we also tend to forget that if it's that popular in the first place then it already has a large group of people who enjoy it for that reason. There's always going to be a negative vocal minority online that only appears larger than what it actually is because the rest are too preoccupied watching the anime they enjoy. And in the end, isn't it your own enjoyment of things that really matters?

Are you really using popularity t exempt this series from any form of criticism? Hype does strange things to people's brains it seems I guess they can't think for themselves now. So by that logic we were all wrong about Twilight. Well the same thing happened with Naruto and Bleach when they first came out I guess it's only natural for people to be the same way about AoT.

Gosh. An opinion that is not yours. Clearly, this woman deserves only hate and vitriol for liking something you do not!

Seriously, if the only reason you joined the forums was to whine because your opinion wasn't validated, then you might as well leave right now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6