• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Drug Induced Stupid

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bin1127

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:08 am Reply with quote
About not censoring erotica in books, it's kind of like how nobody reads the sexventures in playboy magazine and tells their friends how hot that was. A picture is worth a thousand lonely nights.
TheSeventhSense

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:17 am Reply with quote
I have no idea why comics/manga are rated as opposed to real books in the first place; couldn't you also claim books like Twilight and The Hunger Games encourage violence and abusive relationships, therefore need stickers on them?

And it doesn't seem like the ratings are doing much, considering how I've seen Battle Royale in 13 year olds' manga shelf collections videos.
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:41 am Reply with quote
Ratings on manga aren't legally enforceable, unlike ratings on movies and games, so there's nothing to stop a store selling Battle Royale to a 13 year old, other than maybe the wrath of the parents if they find out.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:12 pm Reply with quote
In the US, those ratings aren't enforceable either for anything that doesn't fall under the imaginary obscenity exception. Brick-and-mortar stores tend to, though.
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I was buying shrinkwrapped 18+ yaoi manga from my local comic store when I was 14. No-one batted an eyelid. My local library enforced the ratings though, as when I tried to check out a 16+ volume when I was 14 (they didn't carry any 18+ manga), they said I couldn't unless a parent or guardian was with me or had previously given permission.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5