• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: CLAMP to Launch New Tsubasa Manga Series in August

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aylinn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:43 am Reply with quote
If Sakura and Syaoran find interesting personalities in this sequel and the story is good to the very end, I may consider reading it.
cloud8100

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:48 am Reply with quote
I'm still hoping for X, no matter how long it takes lol.

Man, I gotta start buying the omnibus versions of Tsubasa and xxxHolic!
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:52 am Reply with quote
One thing that I both love and hate about CLAMP is how their stories generally start out as happy, predictable little things and then turn into dark, twisted creatures. While I LOVE surprises, the problem to this approach is that CLAMP often create a mess that they can't seem to clean up.

I enjoyed Tsubasa, but the ending felt REALLY sloppy and forced. They're CLAMP so they can do whatever they want, but the poor story has been turned in on itself so many times that I'm not sure if it's stable enough to add more weight.

Between it and Xxxholic, it would be fun to see the writers try and "break the fourth wall" - to have the characters realize that they are "recycled" and controlled by an outside force. It felt like they were going that route for a while.

I understand that in the Japanese culture the idea that spoiler[although lovers are separated by distance, they are still connected by the bonds of love] is a romantic ideal, but if they repeat that same ending with both Tsubasa and Xxxholic, I'd have to ask myself, what was the point? (Aside from earning more money.)
Aylinn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:23 am Reply with quote
here-and-faraway, I recommend reading Pandora Hearts, it is the kind of story that Tsubasa wanted to be, with twists, etc.. I cannot promise that the ending will be better, because Pandora Hearts is ongoing, it was announced that the next volume (23) will be the last one, but I find characters in Pandora Hearts more interesting and the plot better. It also breaks the fourth wall, if you like it.
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:32 am Reply with quote
Hahah...no.

I sold all my 20 volumes of Tsubasa for five bucks. That's how much it sucked for me. Sorry, CLAMP. I wont be reading this. I loved you for MKR and CCS and your older works, but your newer works really suck...

Well, back to reading my CCS manga before Tsubasa dragged it down the toilet and where Syaoran and Sakura actually had personalities.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:06 am Reply with quote
Happiness for Subaru wrote:
Not to forget that Kodansha is publishing omnibus releases of xxxHolic and Tsubasa...

Also, YAY!

Was about to point that out...for Tsubasa. Didn't know they were doing that with xxxHolic too. I've pre-ordered the first of the Tsubasa omnibuses.

Onto the topic at hand, happy to hear about more Tsubasa. I've only heard about how it ended, but I loved the anime. I started to get the original manga releases for Tsubasa (got 4 volumes), but stopped as it was around the time the omnibuses were announced (and now I've got 4 volumes just gathering dust).

I've not read/watched anything xxxHolic...I'm planning on just jumping into the new Tsubasa series and hope I don't get too lost due to it's connection with Rei.

Thank god that the Internet is there to help fill any gaps. Cool
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:08 am Reply with quote
I wish they would finish their other series before moving on to sone thing else. I'm waiting for a conclusion to Gate 7 still. I've never read Tsubasa or xxxHolic unfortunately...
tootbrush

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:23 am Reply with quote
Seems like a very cynical announcement to me. It's like they don't trust themselves to write something new that's also good and/or don't trust people to buy it in droves. Have some more of our last best-selling work instead.

Or Kodansha just commissioned it for fat wads of moneys.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:26 am Reply with quote
Another tsubasa series? Nice. I know I'll be looking forward to this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:57 am Reply with quote
The one CLAMP series I want them to pick up again is CLOVER. I don't even care about X anymore.

That said, I'm still so bitter about how the first xxxHOLiC series ended that when they announced that it was coming back, I promptly noped away. And the fact that everything they've put out so far apparently looks like it could have just been in the original one, makes the bitterness still burn. But since they wanted to end xxxHOLiC and TRC at the same time we got this rushed and crappy ending.

And then they brought Watanuki back into Drug & Drop and completely messed up the timeline for both series, which was annoying.

I had less problems with TRC, though, because I enjoyed the AUness of it and all of the cameos. I didn't even rrrreally hate the ending either despite clones everywhere!!! I'm interested to see where they go from the ending they gave, and I hope we do get to see all of the cameos again.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:10 am Reply with quote
Sigh there many more of Tsubasa but wont finish Gate 7 all ready
sakuragtin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:14 am Reply with quote
So they are doing the same thing again with the new Tsubasa and Holic as they did with the original Holic and Tsubasa by connecting the two...

Well, this announcement might make me just keep my money in my wallet instead of getting xxxHolic Rei. It really does feel like CLAMP has no new ideas and no longer cares that they don't. Instead, they're rehashing old ideas that they had already run out of ideas for since they know fans will buy regardless because its CLAMP.

Who knows though, maybe this time Tsubasa won't end in a convoluted mess or Rei won't be as dissatisfying as the original was. Since its CLAMP I'm not placing my hopes to high.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:22 am Reply with quote
I'm also on team "I wish they could finish X...." I just don't like seeing things go unfinished :/ At least the tv show gave a satisfying ending.
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:10 pm Reply with quote
I really wish they would just go back to Clover and X already; they keep adding sequels to series they've pretty much closed and keep having all this multi-universe crossover crap like with Blood-C and all that plus starting NEW series as well, I just want some proper closure to those classics of theirs ~.~.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:38 pm Reply with quote
The endings to Holic 1 and Tsubasa 1 were so universally acclaimed what can go wrong ? And everyone is LOVING xxxHolic Rei Crying or Very sad. I for one have given up on X´s ending. The anime nailed it. One of my favourite endings. So sacrcasm this time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4