Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Zombie-Loan, Shin Mazinger Z Impact


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Beatdigga



Joined: 26 Oct 2003
Posts: 2941
Location: Here!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:03 pm Reply with quote
On one hand,s hell yeah, Shin Mazinger. On the other, no BD and no dub for Toonami stink.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
penguintruth



Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 7930
Location: Penguinopolis
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:24 pm Reply with quote
AsherFischell wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
AsherFischell wrote:
clumsily-written, plothole-filled shows I've ever seen.


Name one plothole.


spoiler[Dr. Hell's plan. As we're shown at the end, Dr. Hell was trying to save the world from the Mycenaean invaders all along. The big problem with this is the fact that his actions throughout the entire series don't jibe with this at all. It would have been extremely simple for him to explain what was going on, but instead he just does a bunch of bad-guy stuff the entire time. He tries to invade the world by using a cadre of obvious villains and never once tries to reach out to the very people he should have been working with instead of fighting. It's a plot twist that exists just to have a plot twist. It changes the entire nature of the story without really making any sort of sense simply to rip-off one of Gurren Lagann's big twists.

Also, Baron Ashura. It shows that Dr. Hell lied about Tristan and Isolde being rotted and instead decided to melt half of their bodies because he thought it would be easier to control them like that instead of both of them being separate entities. Why didn't he just melt one of them? Even though he put them together, they still somehow existed as two beings. Wouldn't it have made more sense to just have one around?]


You act like Dr. Hell being a murderous, self-aggrandizing maniac is somehow a plothole. Yeah, he wanted to fight the Mycenaean, but he was also an egotistical killer. Just because defeating him led to the return of Mycenae, doesn't mean he would have been a great guy if the Kabutos never attacked him.


Beatdigga wrote:
On one hand,s hell yeah, Shin Mazinger. On the other, no BD and no dub for Toonami stink.


It's probably for the best. Shin Mazinger is nigh un-dubbable. Just look at the G Gundam and Giant Robo dubs (both). Hotblooded anime, especially Imagawa anime, has been difficult to dub well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
AsherFischell



Joined: 24 Feb 2014
Posts: 327
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:33 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

You act like Dr. Hell being a murderous, self-aggrandizing maniac is somehow a plothole. Yeah, he wanted to fight the Mycenaean, but he was also an egotistical killer. Just because defeating him led to the return of Mycenae, doesn't mean he would have been a great guy if the Kabutos never attacked him.



Like I clearly said, the plothole is that he never said anything about the invasion and appeared to just be doing evil crap instead of actually focusing on his ultimate goal, which is slapped on at the end. I didn't say a single thing about him being a "great guy."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SpacemanHardy



Joined: 03 Jan 2012
Posts: 2432
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:41 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
It's probably for the best. Shin Mazinger is nigh un-dubbable. Just look at the G Gundam and Giant Robo dubs (both). Hotblooded anime, especially Imagawa anime, has been difficult to dub well.


I thought the NY re-dub of Giant Robo was actually pretty decent, to be perfectly honest. But you're right about the G Gundam dub. Why that piece of crap still has so many fans to this day I'll never understand. Confused
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
AsherFischell



Joined: 24 Feb 2014
Posts: 327
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:42 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

Why that piece of crap still has so many fans to this day I'll never understand. Confused


Two words: nostalgia glasses.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sume Gai



Joined: 09 Jan 2008
Posts: 72
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:38 pm Reply with quote
AsherFischell wrote:
spoiler[ That villain trope is just lazy writing, though. "He's bad, so he has to do bad things" isn't so much of a justification as it is an afterthought. Since the main crux of his actions were meant to stop the invasion, it simply doesn't make any sense for him to keep it a big secret and then go about risking his entire plan to fight the only people who could've really helped him.


Dr. Hell's central motivation doesn't need a lot of explanation or justification nor has it truly changed between any incarnation of Mazinger. [thus spoiler tags here would be silly] Villain wise it's simple, ultimately he wants to rule the world. He wants power, that isn't hard to understand or even remotely unusual. I think you are under the misapprehension that spoiler[Dr. Hell's only goal was stopping the Mycanaen invaders. I think that is a secondary concern, he wants to rule the world as he always has but the Mycanaen invaders wouldn't exactly let him do that when they returned so he needed to be ready to deal with them. In that context I feel his actions make sense. He took on a heroic task for ultimately selfish reasons.]

Quote:
As for the Ashura thing, it's stated in the series that it isn't Tristan and Isolde's deaths that trigger the end, but their suicides, which was why Dr. Hell programmed them to not be able to kill themselves. If they had just died normally, it wouldn't have happened. Also, the very fact that we have to grasp at straws for Dr. Hell's intentions regarding one of the biggest plot points demonstrates that it's a plothole."
]


It may be speculation but I don't think spoiler[it's baseless by any means. It fits with the character's actions and history and it explains most of his actions in the given story. Just because a character's motives aren't handed to us on a silver platter doesn't mean one isn't present for us to divine by observation.]

G Gundam's dub is considered good because it fit so well with the Style of show. It was direct and a bit over-wrought but that was basically just right for the kind of show in question.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MagusGuardian



Joined: 05 Nov 2007
Posts: 582
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Finally Shin Mazinger Z is getting a legit US release, all be it subbed only but Oh [expletive] Well, now all that's missing (for me that is) is a legit us release for Kotesushin Jeeg!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AsherFischell



Joined: 24 Feb 2014
Posts: 327
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Sume Gai wrote:

Dr. Hell's central motivation doesn't need a lot of explanation or justification nor has it truly changed between any incarnation of Mazinger. [thus spoiler tags here would be silly] Villain wise it's simple, ultimately he wants to rule the world. He wants power, that isn't hard to understand or even remotely unusual. I think you are under the misapprehension that spoiler[Dr. Hell's only goal was stopping the Mycanaen invaders. I think that is a secondary concern, he wants to rule the world as he always has but the Mycanaen invaders wouldn't exactly let him do that when they returned so he needed to be ready to deal with them. In that context I feel his actions make sense. He took on a heroic task for ultimately selfish reasons.]


The problem with that line of thinking is that the direction of the overall plot completely changed from the original Mazinger. Dr. Hell had a completely different backstory and a different major obstacle. Also, how would taking over the world and making his force the only one available to fight the invaders make him "ready to deal with them" as if the rest of the world wouldn't have fought them as well? If this was a less plot-heavy super robot show I'd be inclined to agree with you, but there's an awfully massive focus on backstory for the whole spiel to just be brushed aside for, "nothing's different, he just wants to take over the world as always."

Quote:

It may be speculation but I don't think spoiler[it's baseless by any means. It fits with the character's actions and history and it explains most of his actions in the given story. Just because a character's motives aren't handed to us on a silver platter doesn't mean one isn't present for us to divine by observation.]


The problem isn't that they weren't handed to us on a silver platter, but that the entire reason for the origins of one of the single most important characters in the story isn't given at all. It's just not there. spoiler[Why does the entire world become doomed?] Because of this thing that exists in its current state for . . . some reason. What's the reason? It's not important. He just felt like it, maybe?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Seiru



Joined: 25 Jan 2014
Posts: 188
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Oh.F.Yeah. F yeah!Watched Zombie-Loan a long time ago and I wanted to own it ever since and now I can!I cannot wait till it releases.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr Adventure



Joined: 14 Jul 2008
Posts: 1598
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:38 am Reply with quote
Shin Mazinger Z Impact not getting an HD Blu-ray release is a GOD DAMN CRIME.

That's a show I can't even imagine trying to watch in standard def.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Blood-



Joined: 07 Mar 2009
Posts: 20224
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:30 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Shin Mazinger Z Impact not getting an HD Blu-ray release is a GOD DAMN CRIME.

That's a show I can't even imagine trying to watch in standard def.


This is moronic. I get wanting to see something in the best format that is currently offered, but the idea that any title is unwatchable in DVD is absurd beyond belief. It's going to amuse me once whatever replaces Blu-ray as the next standard to see the same mooks who rhapsodized about Blu-ray suddenly declare that any new release in that icky old format is unwatchable. Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Mr Adventure



Joined: 14 Jul 2008
Posts: 1598
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:51 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:
Shin Mazinger Z Impact not getting an HD Blu-ray release is a GOD DAMN CRIME.

That's a show I can't even imagine trying to watch in standard def.


This is moronic. I get wanting to see something in the best format that is currently offered, but the idea that any title is unwatchable in DVD is absurd beyond belief. It's going to amuse me once whatever replaces Blu-ray as the next standard to see the same mooks who rhapsodized about Blu-ray suddenly declare that any new release in that icky old format is unwatchable. Rolling Eyes


I'm sorry if I'd rather my show's black colors actually be black instead of pixilated gray. And generally just look worse then it did when it broadcast in Japan.

This has nothing to do with media format, only image quality. DVD can't hack it, Blu-ray can.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Blood-



Joined: 07 Mar 2009
Posts: 20224
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:09 am Reply with quote
Bullshit. My Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust looks amazing on my BD player and HDTV set up. But I know better than to argue with anyone who has slurped hard on the Blu-ray marketing wang.

Ah yes, I remember well how when DVD first came out and most of us were watching them on CRTs how terribly unhappy we all were with the picture quality. Yes, even back then we all couldn't wait until the next thing came along so we could be free of this unwatchable format. Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo



Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 9307
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:44 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Ah yes, I remember well how when DVD first came out and most of us were watching [VHS] on CRTs how terribly unhappy we all were with the picture quality. Yes, even back then we all couldn't wait until the next thing came along so we could be free of this unwatchable format.


Fixed that for a more accurate comparison. Yeah, DVD might upscale well, but it's still a word of difference when a 35mm film goes in for a remaster. If they do a good job, it's incomparable with what's been out before. The major reason DVD still works for many is because they're just shrunken down versions of the HD master. I watch DVDs all the time, upscaled on my BD player onto the TV too, but I'm only going to ever buy BDs from now on.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blood-



Joined: 07 Mar 2009
Posts: 20224
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:12 am Reply with quote
If you "fixed" my original message than you are missing my point. My point is that nobody was whining about how DVD was unwatchable when it first came out. As I say, I can't wait until the same present day Blu-ray enthusiasts earnestly explain why Blu-rays are unwatchable once the next gen thing comes out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group