• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Adds Itazura na Kiss Romantic Comedy Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:29 am Reply with quote
This is one that I have heard of and thought about watching/reading. I will have to give it a try. However, knowing that the manga is forever incomplete due to the untimely death of the mangaka makes me wonder if I should really invest the time in the manga... I guess it's better than getting cancelled and having a rushed, crappy ending, but no ending at all is a bit harsh, too. (Not that you can really blame the mangaka...)

I do wonder if the did an anime-only ending in the series. It seems it would be the right thing to do in this case. Give closure to the story for the fans...
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:27 am Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
DMP told me on Twitter that the series is only going to be 11 volumes long.

The original is 23 volumes. So unless DMP's is some sort of omnibus release, that doesn't sound good... Sad
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:10 pm Reply with quote
It is an omnibus release, so it might not be as bad as it seems. The anime has the ending that the author intended for the manga - I think the director was her husband? - so once this comes out, you can still experience both and know the end.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Digital Manga's releases have all been omnibusses so far.

I started reading it because I heard it was a shojo classic, and it starts all cute and sweet and funny. But after a while I just got frustrated with Kotoko for going after a guy who treated her like crap. Considering that Naoki didn't seem to change his attitude about her at all at any point, it would have been far more satisfying if she had broken up with him. I might check out the latter volumes, just to see if their relationship evens out.

If anyone from Discotek is reading, I'd love to try the anime too--just make it available streaming!
niastyle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy to see this title finally get licensed. But, I'm disappointed that it won't get a dub. Discotek did the same with another of my favorites, Lovely Complex. Why won't they dub the shojo?

Very confused, happy and irritated at the same time. Confused
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:58 pm Reply with quote
If you go to the Encyclopedia, you will see that the manga had an initial 23 volume issue. However, if you check out the release dates, you will see it was also issued as a 14 volume set and than as a 12 volume set. I hope DMP is giving us a final volume that will take it to the end of the published series.

Since the series has already gone beyond the point where most romantic comedies end, I'm not sure what sort of end you want. The "ending intended by the mangaka" is very likely a major life event, much like the ending of Maison Ikkoku. Following that, life goes on, unless you want a time skip to their deaths.
katscradle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:03 pm Reply with quote
gothicangel89 wrote:

I'm still waiting for DMP get a release date for volume 11 and 12. I just got my copy of volume 10. I don't wanna wait for another two years just for one volume to come out! The manga is too good that I just wanna keep continue reading until the end!

11 is supposed to be around the end of November according to DMP's website. Date could shift of course (when retailers get their stock vary too), or be early since DMP gets advance copies of books for their store. I couldn't look at all the details of vol. 11 though since their websites are still having issues after the huge technical problems they had in April (?), I think it was.

I swear there was a special full-color version of some of Itazura na Kiss offered digitally through eManga too. But, I don't see them there anymore.

Oh well. The anime, yay!
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:07 pm Reply with quote
zen: It's an enjoyable and consistent read. It's a real shame about the tragic death of the author, but it is money well spent.

nia: Two reasons: 1) Discotek can't afford to make their own dubs. 2) And even if they could afford to dub it, it's generally not worth it, for some reason.
noigeL

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:39 pm Reply with quote
goldensneer wrote:
Ryu Shoji wrote:

On reflection, he was awful for pretty much most of the series.

That he was.

He never treated the protagonist with an ounce of respect and was constantly looking down on her spoiler[even throughout their marriage].

His constant regression was indeed a frustrating aspect. One episode would end with him showing a genuine caring side and I'd think "oh, their relationship is getting better," only for him to act like the same old prick at the start of the next episode.
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:30 pm Reply with quote
gothicangel89 wrote:
Last November? Volume 10 just came out.

GATSU wrote:
gothic: They're probably confusing it with volume 9.

Actually this was a case where our Encyclopedia had the wrong release date listed and that's what I used as the source for the release date. The article has been fixed with the correct release date (which was in May, not June, since DMP releases volumes on its website usually about a month before it goes on sale on Amazon and Right Stuf).

Thanks for pointing it out!
Meygaera

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Awesome! I have the first 9 volumes and assumed that was the end of it. Glad to see more is going to be translated.

The anime being licensed is great to. Now what to do with that cheezy "all region" version I have...
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:28 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I take that back about Naoki only being an ass in the beginning. He always is. I've only watched the anime so I assume he never gets over himself in the manga? The end of the anime might just be somethin the writers decided to do with him because he actually spoiler[acts like someone in love/someone who cares about other people when Kotoko is in labor and afterward. I kind of want to punch their daughter in the face, though. What a brat. I felt sorry for Kotoko during that last episode.]

I actually think Noriko (Naoki's mother) is my favorite character in the series. She is damn awesomely hilarious (and her seiyuu is Naoko Masuti! Love her). Chris is adorable, too. Really liked her for some reason I actually can't pinpoint...
sunflower

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:36 am Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
This is one that I have heard of and thought about watching/reading. I will have to give it a try. However, knowing that the manga is forever incomplete due to the untimely death of the mangaka makes me wonder if I should really invest the time in the manga... I guess it's better than getting cancelled and having a rushed, crappy ending, but no ending at all is a bit harsh, too. (Not that you can really blame the mangaka...)

I do wonder if the did an anime-only ending in the series. It seems it would be the right thing to do in this case. Give closure to the story for the fans...

They actually did do an anime ending, but it is based upon the ending that the mangaka told to her husband before she died. She told him exactly how she wanted it finished, and I loved the end.

To others:
Naoki clearly changes through the course of the anime (I have not read all the manga, maybe only half). Both of them change and come to complete each other, and Naoki realizes that. He knows he can only be human with and through Kotoko. He's never effusive; that's just not his character. And he'll always be sarcastic and short with people. But he does learn to love and show it as much as a character like him can.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2