• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Teasing Eden

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:08 pm Reply with quote
My Darling! Miss Bancho sounds like something I might like. I'll have to check it out.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:39 am Reply with quote
I've always liked the title Right Turn Only!! It reminds me of the manga review column that Tania del Rio used to write for the now defunct PopCultureShock.com, Read This Way (remember PopCultureShock?! Anyone?). It's clever and only inaccurate when the reviews cover manwha or OEL manga (haven't noticed either type lately, but I assume less are being published these days).

*sigh* I can't read about CMX without thinking about the unfinished Apothecarius Argetum. I want to read the last few volumes so badly!

My Darling, Miss Bancho was a lot of fun, too bad it never got a proper ending.

Reconstructing Amelia sounds like a very depressing beach read. Is it anything like The Lovely Bones?
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:37 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
*sigh* I can't read about CMX without thinking about the unfinished Apothecarius Argetum. I want to read the last few volumes so badly!

I think about that title every time I get to the "unfinished" section of Rebecca's column. Very interesting manga that, sitting unfinished on my shelves along with Tactics, and the ethereally beautiful three volumes of Alichino. Crying or Very sad
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:51 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

Reconstructing Amelia sounds like a very depressing beach read. Is it anything like The Lovely Bones?

Thematically, but not in its execution. Amelia's sections are told when she is alive, ending with her death - there's no supernatural element at all. It is depressing (which makes it all the stranger that I liked it), but its depictions of private school culture, bullying, and people who claim to be trying their hardest are all really well done. It makes you think, is I think the best way to describe it. (And since you know from almost page one what's coming, it's about the why rather than the what, which is interesting.)
Raneth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:15 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Agent355 wrote:

I think about that title every time I get to the "unfinished" section of Rebecca's column. Very interesting manga that, sitting unfinished on my shelves along with Tactics, and the ethereally beautiful three volumes of Alichino. Crying or Very sad

Thirded. I loved Apothecarius Argentum.

From the New World is a great story, but I don't think I'll ever read the manga because of the absolutely cheesecake sexualized art. I'd love to read the original novel though.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:25 am Reply with quote
I keep wanting to buy Voice Over! Seiyu Academy but at 12 volumes I think I'd rather wait for it all to come out and buy it in one go.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:25 pm Reply with quote
BTW Rebecca,

Maybe you could call the column "Read This Way". I think it would be good to have a new name since ANN has not found a place to put all of your previous columns yet. It would be nice to have a way to access them.

-Not trying to be a nag or anything... I just think your column is worth it.

Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
Eldritcho

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Come to think of it, I can't think of many manga that gets obviously-rushed-to-end-due-to-editorial-pressure with a volume count above 15, so perhaps it's a big factor why it gets so much flak.

Im pretty sure this is the reason why people give the series a hard time about it's ending (i did myself when i read it the first time). There are a ton of series that only make it to a few volumes and get cancelled before they can really set their story and characters up, or at least to any sort of emotionally engaging level.

But CoE ran for nearly two hundred chapters, and was still unable to craft a good resolution to all of its different plot threads. After such a long time, people just really to have good closure.

Personally, i thought CoE started having pacing problems at least a year before it got cancelled. Maybe the sudden shift from a snails pace to a rushed wrap-up just highlighted the problem more.

At least that's my take on it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2