• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses Bayonetta: Bloody Fate Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:04 pm Reply with quote
rootsofjustice wrote:
FlamingFirewire wrote:
rootsofjustice wrote:
If this was supposed to be some red meat to distract from the Ben-To delay, it's not a very prime cut. Now the conversation will change from "Oh no, they screwed up Ben-To" to "Oh no, they'll recast and screw up the Bayonetta dub."

When did Ben-To get delayed until - did they say how long it's getting delayed for?

Indefinitely. It got Sankarea'd.

It's rather disappointing, but at least it was caught before the show came out. And as annoying as the uncertainty about the new release date is, so much depends on if/when the the Japanese licensors provide the correct materials, so I can see why they wouldn't be ready to give any sort of firm date.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:38 pm Reply with quote
FlamingFirewire wrote:
kevinx59 wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:
very interesting; I don't see them getting the cast from the games back. Which is a shame, especially with Bayonetta as I can't feel like anyone else could really play her.

I don't know. Funimation has brought back previous casts before (black lagoon, ikki tousen, hellsing ultimate, even a couple of people in eureka seven ao and evangelion) so theres always a chance, though it could go either way.

Anyways this movie looks like a good action watch. And i too wish gonzo came back. They get a lot of hate but i've always enjoyed their series.(strike witches is one of my favorites, and speed grapher holds a special place in my heart) Im kinda glad they are still around doin animation.

Surprisingly enough, the GONZO show I enjoyed the most wasn't even an action show - it was Welcome to the NHK.

Gonzo was and still is Awesome. Solty Rie, Welcome to NHK, Dessert Punk, Last Exile, Gankutsuou, Animatrix, Afro Samuarai (haters gonna hate), Gantz, Lineberrels of Iron, Blassrieter, Black Cat and the list goes on.

Gonzo has it's own signature animation style (something with gray and dark colors). One that you can identify right ways. They didn't look to recycle scenes like Shaft (every anime they make uses the "over the shoulder Glance"). They are themselves and that is that. I miss their epicness.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:21 pm Reply with quote
FlamingFirewire wrote:
Seriously though, some of these Japanese licensors are really pulling FUNi's and other NA licensors legs - they keep on giving them the TV versions for these shows where uncut, extended home video release versions exist. The uncut and extended home video versions should really be the standard for International licensing by now.

Wish Crunchyroll could have more uncensored fan service simulcasts.
Eldritcho

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Cool, always liked Bayonetta. Will probably be getting this.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:29 pm Reply with quote
FlamingFirewire wrote:

Well, at least they found out about the "Director's Cut" version before they actually released the show. Waiting is fine as long as the final version is what fans in Japan got ages ago now... Hopefully this means they'll also add the (mediocre) picture dramas to their BD release.

Seriously though, some of these Japanese licensors are really pulling FUNi's and other NA licensors legs - they keep on giving them the TV versions for these shows where uncut, extended home video release versions exist. The uncut and extended home video versions should really be the standard for International licensing by now.

By the way, does anyone know if they finally got all those new copies of Sankarea with the uncensored video out into the wild yet?

I do wonder why this is an issue since it seems like the process of having an uncensored home video release and using said release for the NA version has been going on long enough that the Japanese companies would know which to provide. Perhaps after they provide the TV version for streaming they forget to follow up?

As for Sankarea, I did a quick search on Right Stuf, and they don't have anything besides manga an merchandise listed; no video listed. So, we're still on the indefinite release window.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
FlamingFirewire wrote:

Well, at least they found out about the "Director's Cut" version before they actually released the show. Waiting is fine as long as the final version is what fans in Japan got ages ago now... Hopefully this means they'll also add the (mediocre) picture dramas to their BD release.

By the way, does anyone know if they finally got all those new copies of Sankarea with the uncensored video out into the wild yet?

I do wonder why this is an issue since it seems like the process of having an uncensored home video release and using said release for the NA version has been going on long enough that the Japanese companies would know which to provide. Perhaps after they provide the TV version for streaming they forget to follow up?

As for Sankarea, I did a quick search on Right Stuf, and they don't have anything besides manga an merchandise listed; no video listed. So, we're still on the indefinite release window.

And it seems for some shows the Japanese licensors don't want to give the NA companies the uncensored video for the BD releases (http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/14=iP6gTVUgxtj=0H-/browse/item/98153/4/0/0). As you can see with the second Nura set, they would only give the Viz the Broadcast Version.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
FlamingFirewire wrote:

Wish Crunchyroll could have more uncensored fan service simulcasts.

Considering you're also paying for a subscription for things on Crunchyroll, it's too bad they don't let them stream the uncensored stuff for subscribers. Then again, it does seem to be selling more BDs to withhold that from TV and Internet streamers, so I doubt we'd see uncensored streams any time soon.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Escaflowne2001 wrote:
This movie isn't based directly on the game it's based on a 2 part manga Bloody Fate from the creator of Tiger & Bunny.

Actually, that not quite right. The movie, while not a direct adaptation per se, does follow the main plot of the first game with some changes. From what I've heard, it actually does a pretty good job of streamlining the plot into a 90 minute movie, unlike most game-to-movie adaptations.

Also, the manga was adapted from the movie, not the other way around. They came within just a few weeks of each other.
KidOblivion

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:12 am Reply with quote
They got the cast back for Vesperia after people said they wouldn't, I say give them a chance with it.

People love doubting distributers, don't they?
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:26 am Reply with quote
rootsofjustice wrote:
If this was supposed to be some red meat to distract from the Ben-To delay, it's not a very prime cut. Now the conversation will change from "Oh no, they screwed up Ben-To" to "Oh no, they'll recast and screw up the Bayonetta dub."

i highly doubt that is gonna happen at all.

regardless i am definitely interested in this , though i am still seriously peeved that they made it a Wii U exclusive. if they think doing this will save the console from going six feet under, their dead wrong. like it or not nintendo is going down the same self destructive path as Sega and the sooner they know that the better they will be off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:35 am Reply with quote
KidOblivion wrote:
They got the cast back for Vesperia after people said they wouldn't, I say give them a chance with it.

People love doubting distributers, don't they?

They only brought back Sam Regal and Troy Baker for Flynn and Yuri respectively. Estelle, Rita and pretty much everybody else who was in the game got recast.

Honestly, call me pessimistic. Funi's had a mixed frequency of getting back VAs that worked with other studios.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:31 am Reply with quote
Eventually we'll need a review on this title. I was curious to know if it was any good. But glad to see that it got picked up.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:44 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
regardless i am definitely interested in this , though i am still seriously peeved that they made it a Wii U exclusive. if they think doing this will save the console from going six feet under, their dead wrong. like it or not nintendo is going down the same self destructive path as Sega and the sooner they know that the better they will be off.

If not for Nintendo stepping in, we wouldn't even be getting Bayonetta 2. I don't have a Wii U either, so while I am slightly disappointed I'm just glad the sequel is even happening at all and I can play it eventually once I buy a Wii U.

I also think they're smart enough to not make the same exact mistakes as Sega. While they're not shattering any records with their console sales numbers, Wii U sales have increased quite a bit over the last few months. Mario Kart 8 specifically caused a significant bump in console sales when it released. And with not one, but two Zelda games, Smash Bros, Bayonetta, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Kirby, Star Fox, Splatoon and Sonic Boom, among others on the horizon I think Nintendo will be fine for the foreseeable future.
IanC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:31 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

If not for Nintendo stepping in, we wouldn't even be getting Bayonetta 2. I don't have a Wii U either, so while I am slightly disappointed I'm just glad the sequel is even happening at all and I can play it eventually once I buy a Wii U.

I also think they're smart enough to not make the same exact mistakes as Sega. While they're not shattering any records with their console sales numbers, Wii U sales have increased quite a bit over the last few months. Mario Kart 8 specifically caused a significant bump in console sales when it released. And with not one, but two Zelda games, Smash Bros, Bayonetta, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Kirby, Star Fox, Splatoon and Sonic Boom, among others on the horizon I think Nintendo will be fine for the foreseeable future.

Yeah, Nintendo saved Bayonetta 2. No Nintendo stepping in, no game. at all. So quit moaning.

Oh and Nintendo will never go 3rd party. They have made that quite clear.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:04 am Reply with quote
ONE. i wasn't moaning.

just disappointed that it will be a system exclusive on a system that barely anyone buys. it would have been better saleswise for sega and platinum games if it was released for all three next gen consoles (Wii U,PS4 & Xbox One)

there is a reason why the big N gave up on the Wii so soon. cause its sales sucks. and unfortunately the sales for the Wii U are no better.

Two. there many flaws with their way. for one thing they crappy methods of game downloading sucks so badly its no wonder their losing to the PS4 and the Xbox One.

and three. Nintendo may not have a choice. Sega said the exact same thing about not going third party too during the Genesis and Saturn era, but crappy sales and a little thing called the PlayStation changed their way of thinking. cause it would be either that or the company go six feet under.

Sure it wont happen now for Nintendo. but it will happen. it not if it happens, but when.

they would either go third party or focus on the portable consoles cause the 3DS and 2DS are the only things that are selling well for them.

so its as i said, it definitely wont be happening now for the big N, but unless a miracle happens and either the Wii U or their next console outsells both the PS4 & Xbox One combined, they would have to or face extinction.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2