• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Gargantia OVA's Cast, Story Unveiled

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Radrappy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:00 pm Reply with quote
It's sad to me that a great series like this feels the need to plaster itself with so much fan service. People will probably miss this gem because of the way its marketed.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Radrappy wrote:
It's sad to me that a great series like this feels the need to plaster itself with so much fan service. People will probably miss this gem because of the way its marketed.

They hired a hentai artist to design the series, brah, what did you expect? They're just capitalizing on his talents. Anyone who skips out of a show because of fanservice is probably too much of a prude to have a worthwhile conversation with about media anyway. Or they're 11 and embarrassed about the human body or something.
Kreion

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I would be more interested if the OVA had an actual conflict, like another space soldier coming to Earth, or contacting Ledo from space. A new cute girl messenger connecting with Ledo sounds boring. But it's going to be released in theaters in two parts, so that implies some kind of plot hook...maybe?

Eh, that was basically the plot of the main series wasn't it? xD I feel like one of Gargantia's strengths was the first half, where it was more slice of lifey - I don't think the second half was directed as well. The story felt a bit more rushed? forced? I don't know but it felt like two stories with the former being more entertaining than the latter.

Still, i look forward to this.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:02 pm Reply with quote
kevinx59 wrote:
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
When is that English dub coming Viz?

Pretty soon. Viz is gonna debut it at anime expo: animenewsnetwork.com/press-release/2014-06-18/viz-media-announces-anime-expo-activities-lineup/.75697
(scroll towards the bottom. its the last event on saturday)

Awesome. Can't wait for your BDs for it Viz.
Radrappy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:11 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:

Anyone who skips out of a show because of fanservice is probably too much of a prude to have a worthwhile conversation with about media anyway. Or they're 11 and embarrassed about the human body or something.

It depends. What I mean is that the covers for these don't reflect the series inside. It's a smart sci fi yarn with a very tiny bit of fan service sprinkled in. These images make this look like a straight up fan service fest.

Also, fan service can often cheapen a product. Being a prude or embarrassed about the human body has nothing to do with it.
tiny_mumu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:58 am Reply with quote
I'm so happy to hear that!!!! I don't care if the story is about something about daily life, I'm just glad to see those character coming to life again.
nargun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:50 am Reply with quote
Radrappy wrote:
It depends. What I mean is that the covers for these don't reflect the series inside. It's a smart sci fi yarn with a very tiny bit of fan service sprinkled in.

Snort.

Yes, it's a very smart show, but it's the SF that's the fanservice here, not the sexygirls: it's about the sexygirls, the SFnal setting just window-dressing to make it palatable.

[Something to think about: compare Ridget's character design with Amy's. Obvious, yes: Ridget doesn't have the sexual-arousal signs that Amy's drawn with. But... neither does Lukkage. And Bellows does, but to a lesser degree: I think it's fair to say that Ledo has a type...]
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:15 am Reply with quote
I could see a second season getting made, in this world with a whole new story.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Catseyetiger wrote:
I could see a second season getting made, in this world with a whole new story.

Yeah.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2