• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Akame ga Kill! (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:13 pm Reply with quote
The storyboards for episode twenty-four have been leaked. Or at least, convincing-looking images purporting to be storyboards have been spread around the web. If you can't wait for the next episode to confirm/deny various deaths then it might just be worth checking out. But take with a grain of salt.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:46 am Reply with quote
That AgK Theater was pretty devastating.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Indeed. And makes it harder to think that spoiler[Tatsumi really isn't dead].
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Simple, dramatic farewell scene in 1 minute. A lot of shows could learn from that, including AgK itself.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Episode 24:

Did they really have to spoiler[kill off Leone as well? Sad]

The fight imo was decent between spoiler[Akame and Esdeath. So that's her trump card...I guess she was able to use it after all and really didn't have much choice anyways. The final scenes were what I kinda expected given Akame's role as a titular character.]

Not really sure how I'm going to rate this entirely yet but I really wish some parts were changed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Did they really have to spoiler[kill off Leone as well? Sad]

Yeah, that felt unecessary.

Pretty good ending otherwise. spoiler[Thought Akame would die too considering before she's noted that her sword will kill her with just a scratch too so cleaning it can be pretty tense. I guess when she uses it as her trump card it's fine?]

*watches las Akakill theater* Well, at least spoiler[Mine] won the Tatsumi bowl.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:06 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Tatsumi dead.
Akame vs Esdeath!]

That was one epic fight.
Had fun watching it.
spoiler[Akame's transformation] was cool.
spoiler[Esdeath's end] was kinda romantic.
spoiler[Leone got herself killed too, but not before she ended the prime minister.]
Good ending.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Looking back, I would say that the spoiler[death of Chelsea] was the high water mark of this series for me. Everything after that was still entertaining (generally) but the show never regained that "omg, amazing!" feeling I had in the past.

One of my biggest disappointments was that the show did not end up doing anything interesting with the Tatsumi-Esdeath pairing. I really was expecting something cool and it just never happened.

And I think that Tatsumi's spoiler[death has to be the most perfunctory killing off of a MC, ever.]

Anyhoo, I rated the show "Excellent." For most of its run I found it massively entertaining and engrossing. Definitely makes me curious to check out the manga and I'll be buying the set, for sure.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:12 pm Reply with quote
I'll be honest and say that whilst it was an enjoyable episode I was disappointed with some of it. There were a few moments that I thought "Yes" that shortly went to "Ahhh No.."

spoiler[Esdeath and Tatsumi. It was almost brilliant... Almost. She embraced the man she believed she loved, the ice crystal formed around them and then... It shattered like pixi dust...
I was like... Really? How much more romanticly awesome would it have been if the two had turned to ice and were left incapsulated inside an ice crystal as a monument for those to remember them?]

spoiler[Akame vs Esdeath. In all the fight was pretty good. Esdeath having to cut off her own arm to avoid the poisoning just shows how far she was willing to go to survive. I dont understand why she threw her sword at Akame during the last charge, it makes no sense. But yeah, Akame's trump card should have at least killed Akame after she won the fight.]

spoiler[Leone vs The Minister. Yay, he's finally dead in that lovely gruesome scene. But there's no way Leone should have been able to take all those shots and still have been standing. She could have killed him with her last breath or something.]

The closing scene's were good. Especially spoiler[Najenda's holding onto Lubbocks headphones? It's nice to see that the feelings he shared for her were mutual. Leone passing away in the slums, where she grew up was at least fitting of her character. After that post-credit scene, I'm also ready for a continuation featuring Akame.]

In all, I've really enjoyed the series and am willing to award it an "Excellent" rating. It had its up and it's downs, that sped upon an emotional roller coaster that was willing to derail you at any second, without warning. Razz
gedata

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Decided to move much of this post (with some expanded thoughts) to the episode review page.
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4431667#4431667

I don't use ANN's rating system, but if I were to, I'd easily slap a Bad rating onto this one. It's a vapid piece of third-rate popcorn entertainment, and that's all as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by gedata on Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:14 pm Reply with quote
It's always funny when shows acknowledge their biggest flaws.

getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:33 pm Reply with quote
well, that sure was unsatisfying, but so was most of the show, so I'm not really that disappointed. It was entertaining though.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Shikiari wrote:
How much more romanticly awesome would it have been if spoiler[the two had turned to ice and were left incapsulated inside an ice crystal as a monument for those to remember them?]

How do you think you'd feel about that if you were spoiler[Tatsumi's ghost or say, someone from his village? If Esdeath is remembered as the Emperor's psychopathic Angel of Death who killed hundreds of thousands of people, how would that make Tatsumi look, cradled lovingly in her arms?]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:48 am Reply with quote
Episode 24 (finale)

A good ending, although not entirely happy. Last time spoiler[Tatsumi sacrificed himself to save lives, and it kind of looked like Esdeath did not know what to think, so she went back to being the strongest, in her last moments I think we got some idea of her character]. There was no spoiler[place for someone like Esdeath in the world they were creating, in the end she was able to go out on the feeling of love]. Leone got spoiler[the final hits on the Prime Minster, and not as a Night Raid IA holder, but as someone from the slums, she watched everyone happy, and like a cat went away to die alone]. Akame was raised an assassin, there was also no place for her among the new order, unlike Najenda who seemed to now allow herself to think of Lubbock. And spoiler[the Emperor], you might think it unnecessary because spoiler[his mind was poisoned and he thought he was doing the right thing, but he did kill many people and his death would calm the people].

The battle was brilliant, Akame vs Esdeath is a highlight of the entire series, when I decide what was the best battle of the year I will have to look through this series. I really liked how spoiler[Akame had that sonic boom like sound as she jumped around, and Esdeath has been a great villain with her ice]. The final spoiler[strike where Akame knew that Esdeath would make herself look open so she could use her ultimate technique, deciding to leave an afterimage to then get her from above], that was awesome.

The ONA short was beautiful, spoiler[we got to see all the character hanging out, especially great end with Tatsumi and Mine together]. Anime cry

Final rating for the series. The show started out a little slow, it felt very cliché in that it was good guys fighting bad guys who were all irredeemably evil, maybe the only thing that stood out was the extend of the evil they showed us. But then it took a large step when it introduced a character who was all for justice, although it was blind justice and although she could be likable for a bit she was used to show such a thing is insanity. A main character died and from then out we had to reanalyse what characters were safe, after Sheele we lost Bulat which then forced Tatsumi to fill in his shoes. And before long we were introduced to the Jaegers, villains who were actually kind of likable. We went through a kind of crazy ride, and Akame ga Kill has been something, even with character missing this show really drew me in into the second half.

I rate it Very good, with a little trimming in places it would be really easy to rate it higher. I can't tell you where I quite might like it trimmed, maybe I wanted more fanservice, by that I don't mean the usual kind but just some fun with some of the characters without so many of them dyeing. I know that it would break my heart but I would be interested in watching a death montage of all the major characters that passed away. The reason I think is because I think so highly of all the characters, I can't say it about a lot of series, but I can name so many character: Tatsumi, Mine, Akame, Najenda, Lubbock, Wave, Bulat, Sheele, Chelsea, Esdeath, Bols, Stylish, Najenda, Kurome, and Justice girl (okay I can't remember her name but extra points). I think it has been a sign of rememberal characters.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Shikiari wrote:
How much more romanticly awesome would it have been if spoiler[the two had turned to ice and were left incapsulated inside an ice crystal as a monument for those to remember them?]

How do you think you'd feel about that if you were spoiler[Tatsumi's ghost or say, someone from his village? If Esdeath is remembered as the Emperor's psychopathic Angel of Death who killed hundreds of thousands of people, how would that make Tatsumi look, cradled lovingly in her arms?]

Hey, I get your point totally, spoiler[but with the series finished we're not going to see any fallout/ recovery of this new era so honestly I couldn't care how they viewed him or her afterwards. It's awfully selfish of me as a fan of TatsumixEsdeath, but it would have made for a better set piece than the two of them turning into 'dust/Crystal sparkles'.
Hell, with some good propaganda they could quite easily make Esdeath look a hero, rather than a Villain and that monument could be there as a memorial to both Night Raid/ Jaegers who were lost.]

Yeah, so I guess you should chalk that up to self-satisfaction rather than a bad point for the episode. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 34 of 35