• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Akame ga Kill! (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Jacquipuff wrote:

Don't particularly like Mine at the moment, but it seems like we'll be seeing more of her next episode, so we'll see how I feel once she gets some more development.

Is that a small breast crack??? Wink

Yea one downside for me with this show is that Mine looks like just about every other loli tsundere we have seen in recent tymes, even with the pink hair and everything ;0
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:06 pm Reply with quote
At least she's voiced by Yukari Tamura instead of Rie Kugimiya.
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Jacquipuff wrote:

Don't particularly like Mine at the moment, but it seems like we'll be seeing more of her next episode, so we'll see how I feel once she gets some more development.

Is that a small breast crack??? Wink

Hah! I actually try to go through my posts before hitting "Submit" in order to avoid any possible accidental innuendo/double entendres, but I guess I missed this one (though maybe you're just more adept at spotting them than I am?). Very Happy

In all seriousness though, I actually do like Mine's character design, despite the fact that it is about 95% one color (and so is Sheele's, now that I look at it again).
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Jacquipuff wrote:
Hah! I actually try to go through my posts before hitting "Submit" in order to avoid any possible accidental innuendo/double entendres, but I guess I missed this one (though maybe you're just more adept at spotting them than I am?). Very Happy
I do the same. I definitely want all my innuendo/double entendres to be deliberate.
Bango

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Another fantastic episode, pushing this show up to my #1 spot right now. Mad cred for the girls spoiler[not babysitting him on his mission] and him spoiler[actually accomplishing it]. Cool disarming skills, too.

I'm passive on Mine right now. I feel like somebody on the team should dislike him and I'm glad that person isn't Akame, as would be industry standard. Also Mine kind of reminds me of one of my favourite Highschool of the Dead characters on first glance, so that's bonus points right there. Let's see what next episodes holds for her. Well, except underwear.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:58 am Reply with quote
The sense of humor in this anime so disgusting that it makes my stomach turn. At the beginning of the episode i was happy to see Tatsumi remenancing about his friends death but they quickly blew the incident over again by trying to insert an unfunny comedic moment. He does it later again and of course WE CANT HAVE PEOPLE CARE ABOUT DEATH AROUND HERE! Rolling Eyes

Basically all I'm getting is that we have a ragtag group of people that think they are going to change the world by killing evil people. But said evil people are always Disney levels of generic so of course that's supposed to make the viewer hate them so much that there is satisfaction when they die. Classy storytelling. Couple that with them glossing over the backstories of characters like Akame as if such details aren't important and you've got a recipe for some compelling storytelling Wink
Bango

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:30 am Reply with quote
Glossing over backstories... episode 2... wow.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:56 am Reply with quote
Yep, that's leatherhead333 for ya - purveyor of fine, well-thought criticisms since 1879.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:43 am Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
But said evil people are always Disney levels of generic so of course that's supposed to make the viewer hate them so much that there is satisfaction when they die.

Apparently Disney villains kidnap traveller and torture them to death, and take bribes to frame entire families into being executed. What Disney movies are these? Wait, were there Nazis in a Disney film?

True the villains so far have been super evil, but they have been in a system where those who are willing to do bad things probably have a good chance to raise up ranks. Or authorities are so corrupt that truly evil things can happen.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:13 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
leatherhead333 wrote:
But said evil people are always Disney levels of generic so of course that's supposed to make the viewer hate them so much that there is satisfaction when they die.

Apparently Disney villains kidnap traveller and torture them to death, and take bribes to frame entire families into being executed. What Disney movies are these?

I believe that's from "Bambi." Wink
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:05 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
ApparentlyDisney villains kidnap traveller and torture them to death, and take bribes to frame entire families into being executed. What Disney movies are these? Wait, were there Nazis in a Disney film?

I think that pretty well describes what Clayton did in Tarzan, except for the overt torture. Definitely kidnapping of entire families, with money and executions involved. Captain Hook in Peter Pan kept trying for execution, and he too had multiple kidnappings on his rap sheet. And let's not forget Cruella DeVille!

So yeah, for Disney villains, kidnapping and attempted murder seems to be standard; on-screen torture, not so much. Although there is that memorable image of the Prince chained in a dungeon in Sleeping Beauty... >.>

Btw, if you count live action, Nazis were the villains in Bedknobs and Broomsticks. I won't count the WWII propaganda cartoons.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Btw, if you count live action, Nazis were the villains in Bedknobs and Broomsticks. I won't count the WWII propaganda cartoons.

So then the answer to beat the bad guys should be to animate archaic armour, and have them kick the bad guys' butts (literally). No political assassinations necessary.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
ApparentlyDisney villains kidnap traveller and torture them to death, and take bribes to frame entire families into being executed. What Disney movies are these? Wait, were there Nazis in a Disney film?

I think that pretty well describes what Clayton did in Tarzan, except for the overt torture. Definitely kidnapping of entire families, with money and executions involved. Captain Hook in Peter Pan kept trying for execution, and he too had multiple kidnappings on his rap sheet. And let's not forget Cruella DeVille!

So yeah, for Disney villains, kidnapping and attempted murder seems to be standard; on-screen torture, not so much. Although there is that memorable image of the Prince chained in a dungeon in Sleeping Beauty... >.>

I believe you are forgetting Scar who probably has one of the most sadistic onscreen murder in Disney history. He not only kills Mufasa but taunts him before offing him in a horrific stampede while trying to have his nephew killed afterwards all so he could be king. That level of evilness definitely resonates in this show lol.

Last edited by leatherhead333 on Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:02 pm Reply with quote
If you think it's bad now, just hope the anime doesn't introduce Wild Hunt.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:44 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
So then the answer to beat the bad guys should be to animate archaic armour, and have them kick the bad guys' butts (literally). No political assassinations necessary.

Ah, if only. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 35