• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyo Ghoul (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doc Hamme

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Give me a minute......
Good God, that was absolutely beautiful. Allow me to give Studio Perriot my full applause. The feels that were felt in this finale. When spoiler[unravel] began playing during that gorgeous spoiler[slow walk with Hide], I almost lost it. Hell, that happened a few times this episode.
Here's to you, Tokyo Ghoul. I know you're coming back with Jack, but if that marks the end, I'm fine. Just know you have firmly earned your place as my number 3 anime ever.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Not a bad ending, nice to hear the 1st season OP getting another airing.

Kaneki spoiler[probably got tired of the struggle and decided to end it the way he did. Supposedly this is different from the source material, but as this adaptation has a script written and supervised personally by the creator then it's no surprise that this adaptation is the Alternative Route to the current on-going series :re. ]

Two things about the ED:

1. Nice compilation of all the ED illustrations done over this series.
2. Why did Sakamoto Maya get a special thanks for her role? Must be extenuating circumstances only the production committee are aware of.

Entertaining series. Probably divides the fans of the source material with its different take on what is essentially the same sequence of events, but a good ride for those who only watched the 1st season.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:50 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 12

As an ending the series it leaves way too many threads unresolved and open, it makes the entire plot of this season feel directionless. For an emotional standpoint, the addition of the first OP with the various themes attached to that did make this special which I would not normally attribute to spending so much time spoiler[watching a guy walk]. It goes back all the way to the first episode of season one which felt perfectly orchestrated. And I really had been waiting for finding out spoiler[what the series picture of him holding a body covered in a sheet meant].

I personally felt that the first season was better than this one because it never felt like we actually found out what was happening, it wanted to show emotion more than explaining the plot. I will rate it Good, it was worth watching.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:05 am Reply with quote
both season's endings left many open questions. There is a good chance for a season 3 in couple years.
Dfens

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Actually the manga's ending was just as bad and even worse it left you on a cliff hanger with so many unanswered questions, but the Anime version was a watered down version to how awful the manga ended.

The new manga called Tokyo Ghoul RE hence the reference to the new Cafe by Touka is weekly but I don't expect another season for a very long time.

And even if they did one I don't think I would want to watch it based upon the source material to date.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:14 am Reply with quote
Lame. Like this entire franchise. There was good stuff in both seasons but at the end of the day this whole exercise ends in a big, "who gives a shit?" for me. Am I supposed to feel bad about the spoiler[death of Hide] when we barely saw anything of significance of him during this season? And virtually no interaction between he and Kaneki. Which was pretty much par for course because silent emo Kaneki barely interacted with anyone in this season. Sure glad there was no real development of his relationship with Touka. That was just sooooo satisfying. Rolling Eyes

The finale was boring as shit. I'm sure the writers/animators think it was artistic as all hell but I found it a pretentious pile of nothing. Some pretty images, I guess.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:35 am Reply with quote
OVA 1 (Jack)

That was surprisingly good. High Schoolers work together to bring down ghouls, with the goal of one particularly gruesome ghoul. But I will say that it spoiler[did grow increasingly obvious] that the spoiler[girl was Lantern], indeed the spoiler[good sources really foreshadowed the reveal]. But it also fitted in pretty well with the general themes of the show that we could see there was spoiler[more to a monster].

Overall it was a more complete story than the anime in general was able to portray.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I actually enjoyed this OVA far more than I did the second series, which just wasn't that good when compared to the first series.

If they do decide to do another spin-off or even a third season in the near future, I'd much rather it be from the point of view of the CCG investigators.
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:07 am Reply with quote
Anime Marathon Discussion (Nov. 6th, 2015 - Nov. 15th, 2015)

Spoilers Reminder for Marathon Discussion: Tag all spoilers within your post(s) and record the episode number(s) you're discussing at the top of your post.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:52 am Reply with quote
OVA 2 Pinto

Wow. I was never a huge fan of Shuu Tsukiyama in the series, but in this story of how he met Chie Hori he's apparently still forming his waaaaay over-the-top flamboyance (he's still about 3 a's short in this), so he's actually very interesting and not a little charming here. And terrifying.

I think that's due in part to the animation. Not sure if I just don't remember the series that clearly (which is so), or if they stepped it up for this, but the facial expressions at times can be downright bone-chilling, and Miyano is dead on his game in the voice-work. When he's spoiler[killing the jogger], it's both tragic and, well, ghoulish, and he gives Chie a side-eye at one point that made me fear for her life even knowing she survives to the series.

Anyway, I think that 25 min had more impact on me than almost the whole series except for the torture scene in √A.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:20 pm Reply with quote
As someone who has never read the manga, it made me wonder- was I supposed to pick up the existence of Arima? I don't have great memory for names, and I watched season one a year ago, so picking up season two, I did not remember all the characters straight away. Anyway, him popping up so late was a bit like deus ex machina, so they had this awesome dude and sent him in quite late, had he been there from the start he would have probably wiped everyone out in seconds.

Overall, it was not a bad season, in some ways I preferred it to the fist one, but somehow I also had an impression that the season two majorly suffered in terms of relationships between characters. Hardly anyone interacted with anyone else, there were a few nice bits, but most characters looked quite distant and detached.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 15 of 15