• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyo Ghoul (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:53 am Reply with quote

spoiler[Kaneki learning at his new job.
Now even the government is starting to move.
Things will become more intense for ghouls.
New characters made an appearance, nice.
That kid sure has a lot to get used to and none of it is easy.
Toka seems to be having an even harder time but she deals well.
Playing teacher was Hinami was kinda sweet ^^
A little bit of normal in all the ghoulness.
Good episode with not much action.
More of a base layer episode.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:

The latest episode felt somewhat slow to me in the first half but that's alright since we get some new characters, spoiler[including a girl who we will be seeing a lot.] I like how she gets along well with Kaneki already unlike....well, Touka.

spoiler[Mado is awesome so far. I like how he shows almost no mercy or fear against the Ghouls.]

We meet a spoiler[guy with purple hair. His name is already revealed in this episode and has a symbolic meaning that we'll find out soon. Eh, the censoring obstructing some of the scenes were kinda annoying.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:04 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Kaneki learning at his new job.
Now even the government is starting to move.
Things will become more intense for ghouls.
New characters made an appearance, nice.
That kid sure has a lot to get used to and none of it is easy.
Toka seems to be having an even harder time but she deals well.
Playing teacher was Hinami was kinda sweet ^^
A little bit of normal in all the ghoulness.
Good episode with not much action.
More of a base layer episode.]
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Not as action packed as the first two episodes but it was interesting seeing how tough it can be to be a ghoul.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Note to self: if you're gonna watch Tokyo Ghoul and Terror in Resonance back-to-back, watch Tokyo Ghoul first. Terror in Resonance creates an expectation for quality that Tokyo Ghoul just can't match (despite being fairly good and pretty fun), leading to disappointment.

Ep 3 spoiler[I'm still rooting for the humans, and am having trouble seeing the ghouls as sympathetic. It bothers me that the only thing they can eat are dead humans, unlike vampires who are usually satisfied with non-lethal amounts of blood. Sure making use of already dead bodies mitigates their guilt (although that loose bridge gate seemed like a trap to kill people via accidents), but most of them kill for survival. It doesn't help that they're born not made--makes it creepier, sure, but makes me question the morals of ghouls who choose to have kids.] Maybe I'll get used to it.

My favorite part of the episode was spoiler[meeting mask maker guy. He had style and was a lot of fun!] Toka's attitiude annoys me. Also, the scene where spoiler[MC tutors the little girl was really sweet. So what's her deal? Human mother, ghoul (and underground doctor) father? Vice versa? What happened to her dad, anyway?]
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

Ep 3 spoiler[I'm still rooting for the humans, and am having trouble seeing the ghouls as sympathetic. It bothers me that the only thing they can eat are dead humans, unlike vampires who are usually satisfied with non-lethal amounts of blood. Sure making use of already dead bodies mitigates their guilt (although that loose bridge gate seemed like a trap to kill people via accidents), but most of them kill for survival. It doesn't help that they're born not made--makes it creepier, sure, but makes me question the morals of ghouls who choose to have kids.] Maybe I'll get used to it.

My favorite part of the episode was spoiler[meeting mask maker guy. He had style and was a lot of fun!] Toka's attitiude annoys me. Also, the scene where spoiler[MC tutors the little girl was really sweet. So what's her deal? Human mother, ghoul (and underground doctor) father? Vice versa? What happened to her dad, anyway?]

are you one of those people who think ghouls evil just because they eat human?

this feel like Déjà vu from the hunter X hunter thread. Ants are evil because they eat human.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:34 am Reply with quote
^ Well, yeah. Ghouls are exactly like humans psychologically, so it's basically cannibalism.
OH&S

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:41 am Reply with quote
^
But they'll also starve to death if they don't eat humans. Since they are technically a different species, its not cannibalism.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:08 am Reply with quote
This might be my favorite show of the season. I honestly think it's vastly superior to Akame no Kill which glosses over death and trying to be comedic in situations that it shouldn't. It ruins any emotionally defining moments the characters could have gone through.

The process of Kaneki being forced into the world of ghoul's is very well done. I love seeing him struggle to hold onto his humanity. In the end he's fighting a hopeless battle since he most likely inherited Rize's binge eating habits as well. But seeing him struggling to come to terms with how much his life will change makes him one of the most genuinely human characters I've seen in a long time in anime. He's understandably indecisive about giving in and that's what i like about him. If he gives in he runs the risk of Rize's appetite taking over which would make him lose his humanity. I can't blame him at all for struggling against it.
But most of all I love the insight of how Ghouls are forced to live. If someone is broke and not able to pay for their food they still have options such as establishments that offer food for free as well as being able to go to generous people who will give it to them free of charge. But do Ghouls do when they are hungry? You can't ask someone to just give them a person to eat right? Heck even eating the bodies of the dead would upset people who want a proper funeral for the fallen. It's a vicious and cruel cycle for them to get food. Which is why it actually makes sense to me that most of them are insane/lacking in morals. They try to blend into a society that is their means of sustenance. Making friends, being nice ends up just being a means for you to get your food easier. That being said i wonder if ghouls can eat other ghouls? Don't know if that has been explained yet but it's a possible direction for the show to take (which i wouldn't mind at all).

I really dig stories like this where no one can be given the right answer on how to solve the problems at hand. It makes the process of seeing the characters fight against their fates that much more enjoyable.

Episode 3:

Hate to repeat myself but God i love this show. The character interactions are held with a great amount detail and I love the world building going on here. I figured that the cafe had the most moral way of getting people to eat. Since the people have spoiler[committed suicide there is far less grievance to be had than taking a live human.] But i think it's great how the guy in charge of spoiler[getting bodies still respected the corpses death and didn't just treat him like he was a midnight snack.] Even as ghouls some people still manage to hold onto their morality. This anime really gives you a lot to sink your teeth into =)
OH&S

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:28 am Reply with quote
^
Something tells me you will be very satisfied by the end of this season. As long as the pacing of the anime has been carefully considered by the anime producers, that is.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:07 am Reply with quote
So, when will we get to see Kaneki's hair turn white (as we see him at the end of the OP) ?
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:15 am Reply with quote
OH&S wrote:
^
But they'll also starve to death if they don't eat humans. Since they are technically a different species, its not cannibalism.

See, this bothers me because they never explain how or why any other type of food won't nourish them. Have they ever tried, for example, to eat other primates that are nearly 98% similar to humans DNA wise? What is it about human meat that they need, exactly?
Vampire stories usually try to show us how "good" vampires make do with alternatives to killing people/desecrating the dead--making artificial blood, only drinking a little bit at a time, using animal blood, etc. Also, most vampires are humans brought back to life, so there is a clear distinction, if only a spiritual one, between them and living people. Here, ghouls are exactly like humans, except for some super strength and the fact that they can only eat people, for reasons yet to be explained.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:43 am Reply with quote
This show has been quite entertaining so far. I detest most vampire stories because of the romanticizing of those poor, dark creatures not being able to help themselves for wanting to ... "bite"... some sweet little virgin. While ghouls are not vampires, I like how this show portrays them and their views on the world and it's inhabitants. They clearly are monsters, but maybe not that much more than the average human monster. I like the fact they actually have to eat their victims instead of just sucking their blood, makes it a lot more gruesome and less "romantic". We've also seen them portrayed as being very capable of genuine feelings and bonding with others. The world building is quite clever, never overdoing it with dumping too much information at a time. I also like how different the ghouls are, not all pale, pretty, and sparkly, but a mixed bunch of all kinds of types and characters.

So far, it looks like there's not going to be a cop-out of MC and friends switching to rats or any kind of artificial replacement for dead humans. I like that. Of course it's comforting to see spoiler[the good ghouls resort to eating people who already chose to end their lives without having to resort to actual killing], but, on the other hand, the much more interesting question would be: If you kill to save your own life (meaning you would die if you don't), why do we instantly judge that as morally wrong? Obviously there will be a strong consensus that it, indeed, is wrong, but why? We kill animals all the time without any need to do so in order to stay alive, and we justify that with the natural order of things and them not being part of our own species, while it is proven they are just as capable of experiencing pain and suffering as we are. If the ghouls are their own species (and it does look like it at the moment), why is it morally wrong to kill us for food, from their point of view at least? Several of them have been shown to be attracted to violence and not just killing for survival, which is obviously bad, no matter which point of view one tries to take. But if we're replaced at the top of the food chain, the rules of the game might naturally change. I don't expect this show to go really deep into this territory, but, so far, it has my interest.

Also, introducing Sakurai and Miyano withing the same episode without me knowing either of them would be in this show surely was a highlight for me in this episode.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

Sometimes there are just amazing scenes that totally sell an episode, and for me this time it was spoiler[him walking in one the little girl eating], the amount of emotions and ideas packed into that little part say quite a bit. I had to watch it a couple times, even if it was censored, well maybe it made the scene.... easier to swallow. Some of good places was the spoiler[personality of the mask guy], and the follow up where he spoiler[got along with the little girl].

Some things feel rather obvious, from that they were collecting spoiler[a suicide victim when they were at the cliff], to that they spoiler[let that Ghoul live so they could learn about the Ghoul doctor].

I think there really is an interesting dilemma where we look at the idea of food chains, natural order, maybe the placement of romanticised monsters in pop culture.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I dunno. I think Mado is scarier than the ghouls are.

How did they convince Hide that he was in an accident along with the stealth college-guy sempai ghoul?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 15