• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyo Ghoul (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Lots of fighting this time.
Was about time we got to see some action.
Still, it was bitter-sweet..
Flashbacks were well placed.
Guess the doves are stronger than expected.
Looks like it's not over yet!
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:33 pm Reply with quote
A number of fights, but what a finish that was.

Shinohara and Kuroiwa must have guessed correctly spoiler[that Yoshimura wasn't the one they were hunting, now that the main target has turned up the tables have completely turned. ]

Koma and Irimi spoiler[were lucky Kaneki turned up to save them, but there's no guarantee they survive with the wounds they now bear. Irimi in particular deserves credit for being more human than her opponents. ]

Now that spoiler[Kaneki and Amon get a rematch, we'll see who comes away with a score of 2 to 1 by the end of the series. ]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:19 am Reply with quote
Oh my god, that was an amazing spoiler[entrance]. Just as I had spoiler[hoped the One-Eyed Owl did show up, and how it came in with monstrous roar followed by complete silence that made me thing the sound stopped with just a smile], that was exquisite.

There were other cool parts too, notably I will say the before and afters of characters, the flashback of them felt quite emotional.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:46 pm Reply with quote
A question on Episode 22.

Is the Owl the father or the missing son? Were the humans spoiler[mistaken in thinking they were fighting the Owl when in fact they were fighting his father who was much less powerful?]

After all the casualties they took in the prior episode I'm surprised they got the upper hand.

And they never seem to appreciate that spoiler["Eyepatch" never kills anyone even when he has the opportunity.]
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:52 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
A question on Episode 22.

Is the Owl the father or the missing son? Were the humans spoiler[mistaken in thinking they were fighting the Owl when in fact they were fighting his father who was much less powerful?]

After all the casualties they took in the prior episode I'm surprised they got the upper hand.

And they never seem to appreciate that spoiler["Eyepatch" never kills anyone even when he has the opportunity.]

The real Owl is the spoiler[daughter]. You see the Owl's human form in Episode 15 or ep 3 of season 2. Half ghoul, half human is supposed to be super powerful. Many times more powerful than the parent.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:39 am Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 11:

Good episode overall in spoiler[terms of action. It showed how much Amon has improved as well as will to fight against other ghouls but specifically White Haired Kaneki this week. Just wasn't enough though.]

Also, we get spoiler[One-Eyed Owl on a rampage and it is quite impressive in terms of power. One episode left. Although some of the episodes for this season has pacing issues, I think it can wrap up well with what it has now. And of course, we also see who exactly it is. *watch after credits*

Arima was quite impressive too this episode imo.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:51 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Shinohara goes bye-bye saving Juzo.
Kaneki faces off Amon.]

That sure was an interesting fight.
spoiler[Juzo] was kinda funny trying to deal damage to Owl with his last strength.
spoiler[Arima makes an appearance.
He seems strong enough to take on the Owl.]

Final episode should be a good one.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:22 pm Reply with quote
So the CCG final resort makes his appearance. A glimpse of the most feared agent in its roster and his absolutely ridiculous physical capabilities and weapons. All of Juuzou's struggles not being in vain after all.

Nice conclusion to the Amon vs. Kaneki fight, spoiler[even if it's technically a draw since they both ended up wounding each other severely with only Kaneki's healing abilities as a ghoul allowing him to keep going. ]

Last scene confirmed what had been hinted for ages now, spoiler[the author Takasugi Sen and the leader of Aogiri are one and the same. Yoshimura's hunch regarding his daughter also being spot on. ]

This is supposed to be an adaptation of the material with the original creator's input right? I'm not familiar with the source, but is the series about to take a radical turn towards something different rather than its original end the way things are going?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Well I spoiler[already put all the pieces together], so I was not really surprised. The One-Eyed was a lot of fun. Was totally waiting for Kaneki spoiler[to take his mask off], we got a good moment there.

Holy cow, I only just realised that Juuzou is voice by Rie Kugimiya.
LordMaou

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:27 am Reply with quote
So looks like they are going for an Anime Original Ending. At least from what I've seen of the manga.

In the Manga, spoiler[Takizawa goes to Amon instead of Akira after requesting permission to go from Akira. Before he can be stopped by Misato or Akira he runs off to find Amon. He finds Amon barely conscious and wounded from Kaneki. That's when Noro and Tatara show up, they then fight with Takizawa and wound him the same way in the Anime as they did in the manga. Amon then charges at them in a rage and that's the last he is seen of.

During the fight between Amon and Kaneki, unlike the anim ewhere he repressed the Kakuja, he went into Centipede mode and then fought him. After both injured he went down into the sewers and then ran into Hide there while still as Kakuja.]

Depending on what happens in the anime ending I think they are going to try to have it end on a much lighter note, unless a twist happens in the final episode that let's us truly know the fate of spoiler[the missing people from the manga which are just reported as missing / presumed dead.] But since they skipped some of the major parts like spoiler[Dr. Kanou creating the Twins from Rize same as Kaneki, and that Rize is being kept alive inside of a type of incubation chamber.]

Overall still a good series. Do hope for more since Kaneki becoming a spoiler[Ghoul Investigator] and Takizawa becoming spoiler[a One-Eyed ghoul being infused with the Owl's Kagune by Dr. Kanou. Especially when Takizawa rips the head off of an investigator and compares it to picking a pineapple] would be interesting to see in the show.

Last edited by LordMaou on Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Episode 23.

Well there is no way that I could see that ending coming. Well done.

I hope Juzo survives -- I have gotten fond of that little weirdo.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 12 (finale):

I had some mixed thoughts on the finale spoiler[but I guess it does wrap up this season. Too bad about Hide though since it looks like he didn't manage to survive (I think he died due to blood loss). And regarding this series, I actually thought it was better than the first season for its ability to tell stories with our characters.]

Some animation/visual problems aside, the soundtrack was pretty good too. Tokyo Ghoul: Jack has been confirmed also. Might check it out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LordMaou

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Season 2, episode 12 (finale):

I had some mixed thoughts on the finale spoiler[but I guess it does wrap up this season. Too bad about Hide though since it looks like he didn't manage to survive (I think he died due to blood loss). And regarding this series, I actually thought it was better than the first season for its ability to tell stories with our characters.]

Some animation/visual problems aside, the soundtrack was pretty good too. Tokyo Ghoul: Jack has been confirmed also. Might check it out.

Haven't watched it yet, still loading. But from your spoiler tag something in the manga that was unknown for sure sounds like it might be confirmed now through the manga. Will comment about it once see the episode shortly.

---------------------------------

Alright watched it, close to an anime original ending set up. Things were quite a bit different. Didn't show the epic battle between spoiler[Arima and Kaneki] though with spoiler[the battle with Eto he cracked the black shield of Arima's which was what Kaneki was supposed to crack] and the part where Kaneki finds Arima at spoiler[ the route that he left Koma and Irimi, where he thinks that Arima killed them as well]. Since they are missing in the manga.

They didn't confirm fully if spoiler[Amon was dead or not, same as the manga] but they did wrap up that spoiler[Hide died], though not byspoiler[ the hands of Kaneki like in the manga that it hinted at]. Touka at the end could set up for when she sees spoiler[ Kaneki again as a Ghoul Investigator as she serves him and his squad coffee].

Tokyo Ghoul: Jack(animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-03-26/tokyo-ghoul-jack-spinoff-gets-original-video-anime/.86400) is a prequel OVA and not a sequel. Would be nice if they went further, but they might of just had it end as a bittersweet ending. Maybe after Jack and they set up Arima they will go back to continuing the series.

Last edited by LordMaou on Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:48 pm; edited 5 times in total
Misibe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:37 pm Reply with quote
I remember back when the original manga ended (before :Re came out) I felt like there were a lot of loose ends, and I feel a bit like it now, too.
I really wish that we could've seen spoiler[the fight between Arima and Kaneki. I do have to admit that I thought the way they omitted it was very well done - the two facing each other followed by the click of Arima's Quinque opening. Not showing Uta & co like they were shown in the manga also gives the season a more complete feel.]
I have to admit, I did prefer the manga to this season. It was a nice nonetheless. It'd be cool to see the season continuing with the content of :Re. Don't think the chances for that are particularly high.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Kaneki reminiscing about the good old days..
That was short and sweet.
The reality of things was much different.
Hide was an interesting surprise.
In the end fire and sadness consumed it all..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 15