• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyo ESP (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crusher X303

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:16 pm Reply with quote
So who knew that Wario was a general in some foreign land.

But I do agree... more of the same (our hero's being beaten down.) but at least this was filled with information.

spoiler[So I am thinking if Rinka and Master Yoda can be persuasive enough they can have an army of wrongfully detained Espers to help in the fight with the enemy... Kind of have them get payback on the real people who caused them to get arrested]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:24 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

Well it explains the villains actions, but does not forgive him for what he has done. The true evil seems to be spoiler[forces of people with power, they were who would tread on lowly archaeologists and use their power to cover it up]. By treading on humans as powerful ESPers spoiler[he is just repeating the sins]. He clearly just hates the world.

Government clearly are not taking a good look at themselves, the barcodes are pretty much like a certain evil government, and by just constraining them they are only keeping espers as their enemy while the other side builds up their army.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Episode 10 was without a doubt the best episode of Tokyo ESP, and probably one of the best episodes of anime that I have seen in months. Everything felt like it was executed near flawlessly. (I mean, with last week's episode being so abysmal, I suppose we were due for something great.) And there were aspects that took me by surprise as well.

Are you being sarcastic? I thoguth it was relatively weak. The villains (the past ones, not the current one) were so pantomimey.

I don't know, I still LOVE the manga, but the anime was the biggest disappointment of the summer season for me. The pacing never feels quite right, it drags too much in places, the humor is toned down and the fan service toned up, I really can't recommend this one, and having loved the manga and Ga-Rei, I really really wanted to.

Btw, has it been mentioned who the bald government guy is yet?

HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:56 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Are you being sarcastic? I thoguth it was relatively weak. The villains (the past ones, not the current one) were so pantomimey.

I learned a new word today.

I have to agree that the "bad guys" in this show turned out to be pretty ham handed and shown in a pretty ham handed way.

Aside from that: given what happened it seems pretty reasonable for the professor to go over to The Dark Side I think it would be more consistent for a highly sensitive, educated, and cultured individual such as the professor to extract revenge in a much more focused and directed way. The way it is now he is just a murderous berserker who is training up a cadres of more murderous berserkers and slaughtering mostly innocent people.

He shouldn't have to have someone tell him: "your wife would be so proud wouldn't she."
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:

Only a little. Maybe my expectations were lowered because the last week episode had such terrible animation and the execution was kind of bad, so I was really surprised by how well this episode was done. I really didn't care about whether the two spoiler[government villains] from the flashback were particularly profound. They were side characters only meant to embody the spoiler[corruption of the Japanese and other government. (Again, I'm not clear on what the other country is... is it Italy?)] They have long since been dead. All I cared about was the added dimension that they created - the new villain that is still clouded in mystery. I thought that was excellent, especially coming this late in the game.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Given the wartorn nature, "generalissimo" vibe, and home to a certain famous box, I'm assuming that it's somewhere in the Middle East, a vague pastiche of Egypt, Syria, Iraq, etc. It's similar to have Marvel and DC use fictional countries to cover that same region like Trans-Sybal and Byalia.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Is it wrong to think the Professor is just plain stupid? Maybe I'm being a little harsh here but how would nobody be suspicious of the situation they were in? You have a military dictator who clearly doesn't care about what you think. Why even trust him in the first place? Why even tell him that you have super powers? What the hell point is there to that? Why agree to have a meeting in a dark room while a shady looking guy leaves the room which is an obvious setup for everyone getting killed?

It doesn't help that the two officials were about as cartoonishly evil as possible. How these people concluded that they would be trust worthy is beyond me. The fact they let the guy touch the tablets with his bare hands is cringe worthy enough. Him dropping it was just icing on the stupid cake.

So now that the Professor has had his sob story we are supposed to pity him right? Well sorry but I still don't. In fact I hate him even more now. Him getting revenge on the government is one thing but killing a bunch of innocent kids at a school among other areas? Why? His actions don't make sense for what his motivation was. But hey you know "Crazy villains with traumatic pasts" are all the rage anyways.

Oh why can't there be any villains like Mogamett? Crying or Very sad
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:27 am Reply with quote
I imagine they were more naive than stupid, They weren't big comic nerds who knows what happens when you reveal your secret identity and were a bit in shock over it so they didn't play it safe.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:48 am Reply with quote
I didn't at all find that the reveal about The Professor's past made him sympathetic, or was even much intended to do so. Explaining what someone's been through and why is sometimes merely intended to make them more understandable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:00 pm Reply with quote
But it doesn't make him more understandable. Why is he going after innocent people when he DIRECTLY STATED that he was going to kill everyone involved with the death of his friends not all humans? It doesn't make sense. Where was the evolution into the man we see now taking pleasure in terrorizing every human there is? It just makes him a giant hypocrite. He's mad about his innocent friends being killed by a corrupt government. So now he plans to rule over the city himself while his subjects go out and pointlessly kill hundreds of people? Can I get some logic in that reasoning please?

His motives would be understandable if he was just going after the people who are the main target of his revenge but I really don't see how this past of his explains why he turned into such a douchebag who doesn't care about humans at all now. He's saved people who were human after all.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11:

Looks like the spoiler[espers are going on the attack against the world and the government now.]

The pacing is funny this time with the built-up first spoiler[half and action second half. I'm guessing we'll see Minami vs. Rinka next time with that ending. I'm not feeling too excited about it though. Sigh, I just hope they will at least have some decent action scenes.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:38 pm Reply with quote
The spoiler[government declared a full out war with the espers.
No way, another bird with esp powers?!]

Did not see that one coming.
Guess we have finally caught up with the spoiler[1st episode].
Was about time too..
Damn those spoiler[bad espers sure wreaked havoc in the city.
Guess Rinka]
doesn't need powers to take an esper down.
Very nice, action filled episode!
Final episode should give us a well rounded ending.. hopefully.
Crusher X303

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:22 am Reply with quote
This show has been a let down.....

I find it extremely idiotic spoiler[ That when Rinka had her abilities she was getting her butt whooped left and right... but now that she is a normal human again, all of a sudden she is able to easily beat people that she could not even lay a finger on before.]

All I am hoping for at this point is some good fight scenes in the last episode. I lost hope for this show a few episodes back....
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:35 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

Not the worst full circle episode.

That one guy looked very dandy, side burns and puffed up hair.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Crusher X303 wrote:
I find it extremely idiotic spoiler[ That when Rinka had her abilities she was getting her butt whooped left and right... but now that she is a normal human again, all of a sudden she is able to easily beat people that she could not even lay a finger on before.]

I had a problem with this as well. Why didn't she just do all that from the start? Did she power up while in prison?

So she's up against Nanami next. Either she gets her powers back mid-fight or she gets help or something interferes. If she wins against Nanami 1-on-1 without her ESP powers nobody will believe it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10