• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Terror in Resonance (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:18 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:

I'm starting to detect that there will be Death Not shenanigans here when they mentioned that teacher was a spoiler[old detective]. That's probably going to be an oversight on 9 and 11's part because he'll likely identify them based on their voices very quickly.

Don't think he was a teacher. That scene in the office with him and the other dude was two cops shuffling paperwork. He used to be a detective and was demoted, as far as I can tell.

Also, it's Nine and Twelve Cool
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:25 pm Reply with quote
dirkusbirkus wrote:
Nabeshin is directing, Yoko Kanno has the score, so I had high hopes for this. Very high hopes.

Um, I think you misread. This is being directed by Shinichiro Watanabe (Cowboy Bebop/Samurai Champloo/Kids on the Slope). That's a completely different person than Shinichi Watanabe AKA Nabeshin.

Blood- wrote:
I don't know about that. Two students transfer into a school just before the trip. I assume they won't be returning to that school - but even if they do, the timing is a little suspicious. So unless the authorities think they died in the bombing, they'd be suspicious, I would think.

But why would they even be aware of them in the first place? They're just two kids among a whole mess of people that were in the tower that day. And if anything, a couple highschool students would probably be the last people anyone would suspect. I'm not sure about the video. That might give them away if anyone makes that connection. But I really don't see any big issue in regards to what you're saying.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:35 pm Reply with quote
So I just watched the first episode of this, and...yeah. That was amazing.

I'm not sure what stood out to me most. Maybe it was the realistic artstyle, which feels so refreshing after most anime go for heavy stylization. Lisa in particular is cute (VERY cute) without being saccharine. The animation also was amazing, especially when combined with the directing--I haven't see much of mister Watanabe's works (don't hurt me!) but now I am filled with a desire to hound everyone of them I can find and watch with rapt eyes.

So right now we got two crazy terrorists, a girl they roped into it, an ominous institution, and a building getting blown to bits. I really have no idea what will happen, but it's gotta be good. I'm most interested in seeing what happens in the aftermath of this attack and what's the reason for the two to do this. Watanabe has managed to do what most anime don't even dream of doing and just show us stuff, tantalizing us with little bits and pieces like Nine's flashback or the texts from Lisa's mom. Now I feel interested in what will happen next. We have some pieces to try gluing together, but we're missing those desperately-desires links in the middle. Hopefully this show will provide--though given the track record of the people making it, we should be in good hands.

If there's one criticism I can lay upon the whole thing, it's Lisa. As of now she barely feels like a character. I think she said like...one line not counting her mental lines throughout the whole episode and as of now she doesn't feel like a member of the main cast whatsoever right now. Hopefully this is fixed, because right now of all the named important characters she is the least interesting. But once again...given who is making this, I feel we're in good hands.

So yeah that was amazing and even my ADHD-addled brain was glued to my seat soaking in every detail.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:06 am Reply with quote
@ ikc - let's assume the two don't return to school (which is what I'm assuming). When it comes time to do a head count after the bombing, they are going to wonder where the two are. If their bodies haven't been recovered, the fact they transferred in shortly before the trip is going to be suspicious. Given that there is a video of two obviously young people seeming to allude to the bombing (that the ex-detective saw) then that is more suspicious.

Why did they feel the need to be part of a school trip, anyway? They didn't need to be part of one to get into the building. To me, it seems like the whole school thing was an excuse to meet Lisa as opposed to something that was operationally necessary/smart for the bombing.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:38 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Um, I think you misread. This is being directed by Shinichiro Watanabe (Cowboy Bebop/Samurai Champloo/Kids on the Slope). That's a completely different person than Shinichi Watanabe AKA Nabeshin.

Yup! I meant to refer to the right bloke (bebop, Kids on the Slope et al) but used the nickname incorrectly. Been doing that on and off for years Embarassed
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:36 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Why did they feel the need to be part of a school trip, anyway? They didn't need to be part of one to get into the building. To me, it seems like the whole school thing was an excuse to meet Lisa as opposed to something that was operationally necessary/smart for the bombing.

The Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building (the building featured in this episode) has an observation lounge where you can go look out over Tokyo. There are gift shops and so on. Unlike the Tokyo Tower, it's free to go up in it; I've been there twice myself.

From today's standpoint, you're absolutely right. A couple of random teenagers wanting to go up there would be nothing out of the ordinary. Still, I think there's too much we don't know yet. Maybe there have been other outrages in this near-future Japan prompting heightened security. Or maybe they figure the government's looking for them after escaping from a lab and stealing nuclear fuel, and figured a school uniform would be good camouflage.

Even if it's not explained, I don't think it'll bother me. Imagination can fill in a few blanks.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:14 am Reply with quote
Yeah, this kind of thing doesn't particularly bother me, either. I'm not attracted to anime because of its ruthless adherence to 100% plausibility at all times. These were just some stray thoughts I had.

Like others have pointed out, I did like the fact that events unfolded without the necessity of huge info dumps.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:19 am Reply with quote
I don't know about you guys, but I found this episode really promising. The plot seems to be deep, probably the boys spoiler[ were some kind of lab rat of a certain laboratory. They seem to be unbelievably genius though it's just my theory.]
The music was able to bring out the situation really well. Well, it's from the well-known Yoko Kanno, so maybe it's not really that surprising.
The animation is the one that makes me want to stick with this series. Some might say that it's using too many visual effects but I don't think so at all. The whole visual is able to convey the atmosphere. I really like it especially when spoiler[Twelve showed his true nature when the girl appeared beyond his calculation. Kudos to the voice actor too, he really bought two different characters within him.]

We still don't know what the two boys were trying to accomplish though, especially that they made a notification online before doing the act. And hopefully there won't be too much school scene like generic anime. Maybe a little okay to touch school life a little, probably to bring Lisa's character out. But maybe no. Actually, no.

I hope the story and the animation won't decay over time because there's a lot shows which was good only on the few first episodes.
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:30 pm Reply with quote
At this point I don't think there's much I can say about this first episode that hasn't already been said, so I'm mostly just chiming in to agree with most that this show looks very promising. I'm interested in learning more not just about what the two boys are planning, but also about Lisa's situation, and what might change for her now that she's involved with these two.

If these boys are Nine and Twelve, I wonder if we'll be seeing any other characters with numbered names in the future? The cast list on the Encyclopedia entry does list a "Five", but there could be more...spoiler[but then again, the people shown dying in Nine's dream/flashback are most likely these individuals.]
Gatherum

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:31 pm Reply with quote
So I really want to watch this, but I also really don't want to pay for a Funimation subscription (I already have Crunchyroll and Hulu Plus, dammit!). When does a given show/episode cease to be subscriber-exclusive?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I believe a week after, just like CR.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Oh, okay. When did the first episode air? What day?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:43 pm Reply with quote
It airs Thursdays at 12:50pm EST.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Good to know, Thank you. Smile
Alberto7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Something else that stood out in this first episode was the fact that high school students actually look like high school students. They actually look like people in high school. Laughing I found that interesting and added to the whole realism. It made it have less of that "high school anime" feel.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 25