• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Aldnoah.Zero (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:10 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Inaho appeared surprised

When he says "its the bat" in his usual Inaho tone, simply saying that means Inaho acknowledges that the man standing above him with a gun is someone that he shot down and not an unknown enemy.

Last edited by FenixFiesta on Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Galap

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:11 am Reply with quote
shiranehito wrote:
EmbraceMe wrote:

That aside, is anyone else curious as to why the production committee chose the quotes "Let justice be done, though the heavens fall" for this show? I have my own wild theory but it's not sophisticated enough yet for me to post.

I saw in other thread that the quote might imply something, specifically to "Seneca: Piso's Justice". I'm not a historicist myself and I don't really get it, so I'll just quote this right from tvtropes.
Quote:
spoiler[In the original story, Piso orders the deaths of three people: the person originally set for execution, because his sentence had already passed; the centurion who halted the proceedings, for failing to do his duty; and the sentenced's friend who was thought to be murdered, for being the cause of two innocent men's deaths. This matches up rather closely to the events of the finale, with the characters taking up the roles in the story. Asseylum is the sentenced, having avoided death once. Saazbaum is the centurion, having failed to execute Asseylum the first time. And Slaine (Piso) blames Inaho for both Asseylum and Saazbaum's deaths, executing him for that.]

Now this is the kind of discussion I want. At least something which doesn't involve blaming Slaine or Inaho, or endless argument about episode 7.

That's actually really interesting! I never heard of that quote, or that story. It certainly makes sense. And I think its really cool!

Well now the whole thing about Urobuchi not having anything to do with the ending is basically out the window: He's the damn original creator, so he had to be involved or at least know the reasoning behind that tagline. Even before this I suspected that his tweet was him just covering his ass, or trying to defend his reputation.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:21 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:

Well now the whole thing about Urobuchi not having anything to do with the ending is basically out the window: He's the damn original creator, so he had to be involved or at least know the reasoning behind that tagline. Even before this I suspected that his tweet was him just covering his ass, or trying to defend his reputation.

Mmh, I don't really know if he's really the original creator. According to Aldnoah page in ANN, series composition is handled by Takayama, so Butch probably really don't have anything to do with it - although the ending might be influenced by his style of writing. But he lied to us about Madoka being heartwarming before episode 3, so we can't really trust him now, right?

EDIT: Okay, I was not reading close enough. Butch is the original creator.

Last edited by shiranehito on Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Slaine could have died during the sea impact,

He could have, and if he had died then Inaho would have been responsible for a self-defense homicide (since Slaine fired on him first), but he blew out the right engine causing a crash, if he'd wanted to kill him definitively then he could have shot the cockpit. They also likely could have blown up his plane when it was in the water, but they didn't.

With the ending scene, spoiler[Inaho was already grievously injured, and would not have posed any threat has Slaine not tried to kill him. It was straight up murder.]

Quote:
It is a pretty good reason why Inaho spoiler[is actually surprised to see a guy he assumed he had killed still alive].

I don't think he was surprised to see him alive. He did say "you are my enemy," not "you were my enemy," after all. I thik he was mildly surprised that Slaine was there, and that he was responsible for getting all of them killed, but he'd probably assumed he'd been picked up. Really he just seemed more rueful that this serial ####-up done ####ed it up again, like "oh great, Donald Duck's back."

Quote:

Also, Inaho avoiding aiming the cockpit not "because he was feeling merciful" it was because he knew the pilot would still try to even out his craft during its decent, a dead pilot would cause the craft to go in an unpredictable course and more likely have a chance to kill both of them in the process.

A plane with two working engines and one dead pilot would be more stable for several seconds than one with a live pilot but a blown engine.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:24 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:

When he says "its the bat" in his usual Inaho tone, simply saying that means Inaho acknowledges that the man standing above him with a gun is someone that he shot down.

Eh, the fansub and official subs only have them both call out each other's nicknames -- spoiler[Slaine says "Orange" and Inaho responds with "Bat."] I think you're over analyzing that scene and that's all I really have to say about this.

-

Back to the tagline the show uses.

@Shiranehito, Galap

The quote appears in the anime near the end of the opening song right after we see Princess Seylum lift up a gun with tears in her eyes.

My wild theory consisted of episode twelve being the spoiler["though the heavens fall" part and the scene I mentioned above to the "let justice be done" part of the quote. It requires us to assume that the Princess lives and she will deliver justice to whomever -- most likely Slaine because he killed off Inaho in the end (assuming Inaho stays dead). Although, honestly, I can't really imagine Inaho staying dead because he's the brains of the operation to combat the Martian Kataphrakts.]

In addition, I think Gen Urobuchi did the same thing with Madoka stating it would a be "light-hearted, fluffy Magical Girl show" so I don't really trust what he's saying. Razz

Oh, there's also the suppose comment that Urobuchi planned the ending to originally go like this: spoiler[Inaho and Princess Seylum fall in love but Slaine comes and takes the princess away. I think episode 12 sort of ends like this but not the way Urobuchi originally planned it to; I definitely felt some romantic spark between Inaho and the Princess in the episode or am I wearing my shipping goggles too tightly?]
shiranehito

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:37 am Reply with quote
@EmbraceMe
I already posted that quote about the originally planned ending (but, sure, my post is just like a little breeze amongst the storm of Slaine vs Inaho argument, so I'll say my opinion again)

I think the originally planned ending is quite shallow compared to Urobuchi's works, so I really don't trust him about it either. But I also think that spoiler[Inaho might have romantic interest in the Princess. I mean, he was remembering her, her, her and her in the moment before his death. I think the creators want us to think so too (even though I believed that Inaho was just using the princess).]

About the quote, is it possible if spoiler["the heaven falls" perhaps implying the Princess and/or Inaho's death, and if they really stay dead in the next cour, the ones left behind are those who will serve the justice] But although I despise the idea of those two spoiler[to be magically revived somehow], I think they can't be spoiler[dead] for real.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:51 am Reply with quote
No, I think they made it fairly clear that Inaho loved the princess, even if he might not have come to terms with that until the end. In any case, he was not ruled by his emotions, so he stayed mission oriented and set aside his romantic interests until there was time to think about it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:00 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I will have the last word, Blood-! I will, I will, I will - just see if I don't!

Rolling Eyes
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:42 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I will have the last word, Blood-! I will, I will, I will - just see if I don't!

Rolling Eyes

Rofl, you're just proving yourself a hypocrite with posts like this. I know you're familiar with the word projection Smile
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:56 am Reply with quote
So I'm genuinely curious, CK - what would happen to you if you didn't get the last word? Would your psyche shatter into a million tiny pieces? Would you lose the will to eat and sleep? Would you begin to obsessively chew on the ends of your hair? Would you stare out at the world with joyless, vacant eyes?
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:11 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
So I'm genuinely curious, CK - what would happen to you if you didn't get the last word? Would your psyche shatter into a million tiny pieces? Would you lose the will to eat and sleep? Would you begin to obsessively chew on the ends of your hair? Would you stare out at the world with joyless, vacant eyes?

I don't know what I would do without you in these forums Blood-. Seriously, no sarcasm. Without this routine dose of comedy to break up the gloom of the daily grind, life just wouldn't be as sweet. Thank you Smile

Now, let us return to the topic at hand. Ahh yes, spoiler[Inaho's creep-tastic smile at the end upon seeing the princess, apparently dead in a pool of her own blood. A powerful symbol of his undying love? Or, the psycopathic sneer of an uncaring utilitarian, whose primary tool has finally ended its usefulness? I suppose if he's really dead we'll never know.] I'm still not really willing to accept that there was any kind of real love on display here, though. Aside from a couple of conversations expressing gratitude or discussing their ongoing course of action, we haven't seen Inaho and the princess interacting in any kind of real romantic fashion. I suppose the writers may not have had time to properly develop that within 12 episodes, but it certainly comes across as a pretty stale love story if you ask me.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:31 am Reply with quote
Apropos of nothing, I've always meant to mention that I love that quote, "let justice be done though the heavens fall." Just never knew where it came from before.

Anyway, I am super curious about the second season just to see if the theory about Inaho and the Princess proves true.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:08 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Now, let us return to the topic at hand. Ahh yes, spoiler[Inaho's creep-tastic smile at the end upon seeing the princess, apparently dead in a pool of her own blood. A powerful symbol of his undying love? Or, the psycopathic sneer of an uncaring utilitarian, whose primary tool has finally ended its usefulness? I suppose if he's really dead we'll never know.] I'm still not really willing to accept that there was any kind of real love on display here, though. Aside from a couple of conversations expressing gratitude or discussing their ongoing course of action, we haven't seen Inaho and the princess interacting in any kind of real romantic fashion. I suppose the writers may not have had time to properly develop that within 12 episodes, but it certainly comes across as a pretty stale love story if you ask me.

We know that Inaho is far from social, which should highlight the fact that he spent so much time he spent with her. We saw him spending time showing the princess around, something that according to someone that knows him (his sister), this meant he was showing affection. It is called reading between the lines to actually understand the character.

I am sure you are basing your opinion on him being an unfeeling robot on interactions with normal people. But I am actually someone who suffers from autism, and I know of others who also have it. I think that I have enough credit to vouch that someone who acts like him are not necessarily unfeeling inhuman monsters.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Look, DP, no offense but it's getting kind of old watching you wave the "I have autism and you're insulting me when you insult this (most likely not autistic) character" every time people criticize a character that lacks any sort of proper development. You've done it with both Lisa and Inaho this season. Even if either of them was supposed to be portraying any sort of mental disorder it is an extremely poor portrayal. Sorry, but your having autism doesn't mean we can't discuss and criticize badly developped characters. No one is personally attacking you, please lay it off with the drama.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:16 pm Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
A trait, not a disorder. But if he has it, imo the show failed to capitalize on that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexithymia

First, please accept my apologies. The thread moved so fast I missed your post. I only noticed it because on a whim I re-read the last few pages, and now I'm glad I did.

Anyway, that is a very interesting trait and it is plausible in and of itself. I say that primarily because it does - general - cover a lot of the weird behaviour that we see from Inaho. Yet he must be way off the deep end of the spectrum. Alexithymia supposedly covers a full ten percent of the population but I've never ever known (or even just seen) someone like Inaho in real life. So it is hard to say whether he would even have it or if he has something way more severe.

It's clear to me that Inaho doesn't have any real-life trait or disorder or brain injury whatsoever. Instead, he just has "I'm too cool for emotions" main character syndrome, and he's obviously intended to rebut the sorts of hot-blooded or angst-ridden heroes who typically helm mecha productions. Which is great in theory, but being different does not necessarily result in being better. In fact, I would have rather watched a cliched hot-headed arsehole than suffered through Inaho. (Which is kind of funny since I dropped Argevollen but finished these twelve episodes of Aldnoah.Zero.)

Which brings up a good point actually; I've watched twelve episodes already but am I going to watch the second season? I believe I will, at least to check it out. A couple of episodes and we'll see what happens. I am genuinely curious where the story will go from here and whether it will get better now that spoiler[the character I hate most is (supposedly) dead.] Plus the first season seemed like setup for something and I want to see what that something actually is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 68 of 90