• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Aldnoah.Zero (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:20 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the fights this episode. Inaho did not have to carry the platoons and the Terrans are shown to be capable fighters. Though, one issue I have is that it doesn't feel like much is at stake for the Terrans when they can take on the Martian Cataphracts without much losses -- I guess spoiler[a few grunt soldiers were KIA here and there but I'd expect the Martians to be able to deal more damage]. I don't want to advocate killing some of the more important cast members but if the show did so, I'd be able to sympathize with the Terrans a lot better. But that's where I found the event spoiler[after Yuki lost an arm in the fight played out well. It showcases how Inaho is not a blank state, he does care for his allies and friends but can't express it well.]

Edit:

Interesting thing about Slaine's duel: spoiler[they showed more about the Tharsis, specifically that it has blades under those giant arm shields or whatever they're called.]
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Reposting my original comment since it was erased.

Episode 6

Freaking Slaine man. Why is this man so bloody awesome? He’s just as clever as Inaho and doesn’t have to rely on military fodder to find a working strategy. That final decapitation swing was satisfying as hell Anime smile

I enjoy this show mostly for the B movie vibe it has going on but one thing it’s done surprisingly right is show the subtle changes Slaine has made among the Martians society. Not only has he been gaining respect/status but he’s making everyone realize the flaw in their messed up system with his very existence. The fact that he, a lowly Terran is able to come so far is slowly breaking down the walls of superiority that has plagued the Martians for so long. Others happen to share his viewpoint as well. They just never had anyone to confide in about it until now.

Hell him and spoiler[Lemina even got hitched together]. A couple that I’ve wanted to see happen since the beginning. I was screaming spoiler[NOOOOOO when she was about to kill her sister.] That was a such a tease by the writers right there but I kind of knew she wouldn’t do it. Asseylum is way to important to just be spoiler[killed off like that]. Hell she’s technically already died 3 times now. The girl is an immortal monster. I REALLY hope they don’t pull thespoiler[ amnesia plot device] but knowing this show it’s very possible.

Looking at Earth’s side…………….yeah not sure why I keep trying to talk about it. Heck nearly the first half of the episode was dedicated to a long fight. I can admit the action in Aldnoah is pretty entertaining but I feel like there is way to much of it. And it’s the only way to keep the audience from falling asleep when they focus on Earth. They have nothing to lose. We know all the main characters will survive. We know Inaho will be the key to victory. Still nothing new there. You could have literally taken out that fight scene and nothing about the plot really changes.

Also why the hell don’t the Martians ever attack together? Like in a group? They’d be much better off that way. A platoon of Earthlings has trouble with just ONE mech. Can you imagine if there were 3 of them? Or heck 5? Everybody is dead man. Super dead. But nah they all attack one at a time. I know it’s because of the pride thing they have going on but it’s really not a smart battle plan especially in war. I'm beginning to think both sides are borderline incompetent in battle.

Hopefully Slaine can change that too Smile
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 7:

Hmm...so the real princess now is spoiler[awaken and Slaine realizes it too. He also knows that she remembers Inaho. My theory is that he will try to get rid of Inaho personally before they meet again.]

And right now, the spoiler[Martians are making their move and one imo that the Terrans may not be prepared for. Expecting high level battle next time.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Also why the hell don’t the Martians ever attack together? Like in a group? They’d be much better off that way.

That is a pretty funny quote responding to ep 6, and we get the stinger for ep 7 with Inaho at least sounding interpretably worried about his cliffhanger predicament.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Has there ever been a military leader in the history of time who is confident in his military's capabilities justifiably?
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:53 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Quote:
Also why the hell don’t the Martians ever attack together? Like in a group? They’d be much better off that way.

That is a pretty funny quote responding to ep 6, and we get the stinger for ep 7 with Inaho at least sounding interpretably worried about his cliffhanger predicament.

When i saw the other Martians coming to fight I couldn't stop laughing. Laughed even harder when I noticed the ironic timing of my comment Razz.

Episode 7

I was literally clapping during parts of this episode. So many things happening that I've wanted to for so long.

First things first. They focused almost exclusively on the Martians side. That is ALWAYS a good thing. Second, we actually get some internal monologues from Slaine which give us a bigger picture of what he's planning. This is something that Inaho and Slaine have lacked for a while now so it's nice to finally get incite on how Slaine is thinking.

That aside this episode really made me feel bad for Slaine. It's obvious he doesn't really see Lemrina in the same way he sees Asselyum but lying to her does still hurt him. He's acknowledged that what he's become isn't exactly ideal but continues to truck on to complete his goals which he's shown do not only concern the princess.

Yes he's becoming more underhanded now but you have to admit he's been very smart about covering all his bases and making it tough for anyone to go against him. This is necessary for his goal which if i had to guess is to become the new ruler of Vers by proving himself in this war which is the fastest way he can climb through the ranks. People now have confidence in his leadership and look up to him as a true warrior. He still has the best character development in this show.

Although that "tragedies do happen" comment makes me a little worried. I think that's him acknowledging that spoiler[he might have to kill Asselyum as having her around with her original memories would be a problem.] He's caught in a struggle of keeping her happy while pursuing his own motives. It'll be interesting to see what he does about the situation.

As said above it's nice that the Martians are fighting in groups now. If these fools had done this earlier Inaho would have been dead and Earth would be taken over already. Game over. Also did the landing castles lose some of their power? I mean we saw an entire city obliterated when one landed in the first episode. How was everyone completely ok when one landed so close to them?

Asselyum havingspoiler[ temporary amnesia] is honestly a little convenient for the plot right now but I'll let it slide since it's not spoiler[COMPLETE amnesia.] And we just HAD to have the cliche "boy hears his love talking fondly about another guy as soon as he comes to see her". Get that shit outta here!>:/

Oh and random bath scenes are always nice Razz
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I don't think it landed all that close, the area around it was probably messed up, but it was far enough out that it didn't do too much damage where they were.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
I don't think it landed all that close, the area around it was probably messed up, but it was far enough out that it didn't do too much damage where they were.

It is a power inconsistence issue, the first episode implied that when a landing castle hit earth it could create a crater size large enough to flatten a metropolis, in this episode it is simply a "pretty big explosion and light show".

Just as well it could be argued that maybe there is some unspoken of aldnoah tech that could amplify/limit the landing force.

As for me, the Terran side is at best dull with the brass playing "La Resistance!"
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:04 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
That aside this episode really made me feel bad for Slaine. It's obvious he doesn't really see Lemrina in the same way he sees Asselyum but lying to her does still hurt him. He's acknowledged that what he's become isn't exactly ideal but continues to truck on to complete his goals which he's shown do not only concern the princess.

Seriously! You feel sorry for him?! It seems you might not entirely be following what it is that he has done.

Firstly, why have the Martians not spoiler[all ganged up at once? If you had been paying attention you would know that a huge part of their culture is built on personal strength]. Their entire campaign has spoiler[pretty much been about how superior they are, that Terrans are no match for them, and that it is practically a sense of pride that they have attacked like they have]. In Slaine making spoiler[multiple attacks at once he has turned it from a show of superiority, to an extermination]. And we now know that this was spoiler[the reason he got engagement with the princess].

And it is not just a for the might of Mars either, because he is pretty much about to spoiler[assassinate al the Vers who might betray him]. Through the episode his spoiler[servant has be running a plan for him to kill those who have not sworn loyalty to him]. You might say it is a smart move, but it is also evil, spoiler[he might even be worse than Saazbaum, he is really a hypocrite if he didn't like him for what he did in planning to off people that stood in his way].

And lastly it is that he is also spoiler[betraying all of the people he also has trust on that side]. He is betraying spoiler[Lemrina by lying about the Asseylum's condition, in that moment when he saw his reflection he realised that he is betraying everyone]. Not only that but he clearly is reacting badly, spoiler[jealous perhaps from Asseylum mentioning Inaho]. And really he won't even be on her side if or when spoiler[she realises she never wanted any of it].

Saying he is only doing what he must? It does not change that he is pretty much a villain, controlling everything to best suit him. Even saying that he is only doing the wrong thing only because that is what is needed to complete his plan, doesn't change that it is pretty much the reasoning of a classic villains. Pitying him over all the "pawns" is not fair.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I don't find it so outlandish to find sympathy for a character that is outright a villain.
It is impossible to argue Slaine is "heroic" this far in events of S2, but his actions still have a logic that he is a young man in a whirlwind situation and trying to achieve something bigger than himself and knows that his path will be one made up of much bloodshed.

There are a number of shows I could laundry list where bad men are given a chunk of the spotlight, if not outright act as leads, and are successfully written out in a sympathetic manner.

You can argue that you don't like Slaine's story, but you can not say it is impossible to have a sympathetic villain.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:30 am Reply with quote
^^ I'm still clinging to the expectation that Slaine will turn out to be someone else's pawn in all of this. He looks more and more like Light Yagami with every episode. But if he doesn't get some sort of redemption by the end of this, I'll be disappointed, considering it will make all the abuse they put him through up to now kind of pointless.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:

It is a power inconsistence issue, the first episode implied that when a landing castle hit earth it could create a crater size large enough to flatten a metropolis, in this episode it is simply a "pretty big explosion and light show".

My point is, the one we saw could presumably be doing just as much damage as the first one, it was just further away from our heroes. The first one we saw it landing point blank in a city, and saw the direct impact, this one it's hard to judge the distance due to the shallow angle, but it could be dozens of miles away, plenty of distance for the direct explosion to have tapered off. The "heavy physical damage" element of a nuclear bomb, for example, is only 2-3 miles. People beyond that range might be killed, but buildings would be left standing, mechs would probably be fine. The first castle landed downtown, so most of the city was within that radius, this new castle presumably landed at least 2-3 miles distant, and looking at it, that seems plausible.

Quote:
^^ I'm still clinging to the expectation that Slaine will turn out to be someone else's pawn in all of this. He looks more and more like Light Yagami with every episode. But if he doesn't get some sort of redemption by the end of this, I'll be disappointed, considering it will make all the abuse they put him through up to now kind of pointless.

I don't think anyone is currently pulling his strings. His actions seem to be 100% his own. It would, however, be fairly well expected that he will eventually be betrayed by either his Lieutenant or Lemrina, maybe both, either in a straight power grab, or because he decides to change course and they don't wanna. I don't know that he will be fully redeemed though, He's kind of a tragic mess for that. I think the more likely endgame is that some third force emerges, maybe run by one of the two above, or maybe even a Terran faction, that basically puts Slaine and Inaho's personal factions in a position to work together for a greater good, but I think it's likely Slaine will have some sort of noble sacrifice. If he's very lucky he will merely be presumed dead, but actually ends up alive and in a shadow retirement with Lemeria or something.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:05 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
His actions seem to be 100% his own.

Well, it's just that in this last episode they troubled to show us again that he used to have pupils and now doesn't, and in anime language that generally means something. If this series decides to never explain that, well, I gave up on Aldnoah making any narrative sense episodes ago, so c'est la vie. Smile
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:56 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
I don't find it so outlandish to find sympathy for a character that is outright a villain.
It is impossible to argue Slaine is "heroic" this far in events of S2, but his actions still have a logic that he is a young man in a whirlwind situation and trying to achieve something bigger than himself and knows that his path will be one made up of much bloodshed.

There are a number of shows I could laundry list where bad men are given a chunk of the spotlight, if not outright act as leads, and are successfully written out in a sympathetic manner.

You can argue that you don't like Slaine's story, but you can not say it is impossible to have a sympathetic villain.

You summed up my thoughts perfectly here. Slaine is a very self aware villain. He's noticed how cruel and demanding he has become over time his rise began. This episode is filled with internal monologues telling us this. The scene where he makes an apology to Eddelrittuo for yelling at her and his scene with Lemrina shows he hates that he has to deceive her. Slaine's actions are indeed villainous but he's not doing them without a shred of remorse like a TRUE bad guy. We can see how he is slowly losing the morality he had first season. It's all part of his transformation. Which is what i like about villians. Much easier to sympathize with villains when you see what they are going through as apposed to just throwing in some sob story then expecting me to care. Wink
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Well, it's just that in this last episode they troubled to show us again that he used to have pupils and now doesn't, and in anime language that generally means something. If this series decides to never explain that, well, I gave up on Aldnoah making any narrative sense episodes ago, so c'est la vie. Smile

Lol, if they came out with some random mind controller at this point then that would "stop making narrative sense." I took his eyes in that scene to just be reflective of his own personal conflict at his actions, that he knew he was being unfair to Lemurina. It was the anime equivalent of a haunted stare.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 86 of 90