• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Aldnoah.Zero (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jl07045

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:36 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
About the Earthers not being prepared: I think they were really trying their best, and just couldn't do better.

Well, for starters, they could at least train their fighter pilots in dogfighting instead of shooting their rockets in a cloud and then doing a flyby to aid the enemy targeting them.

Also a general "use caution when engaging an enemy with unknown and potentially vastly superior tech" rule would have been nice. Underestimating them won't cut it, military intelligence is not this stupid.

I'm definitely with the crowd that thinks that the engagement was more one-sided (in casualty list not outcome) than it should've been. I do like that the first thing the Martians attacked were the communications.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:33 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:

I actually really like the main character. He's certainly not nearly as stoic as everyone says. It's more that time is short in those situations and he knows he has to be direct and calm or else people will die. And just because he's calm about things in is speech and actions IN NO WAY means that he doesn't care!!!!. Quite the contrary: I think that his friend's death was a pretty big factor in him deciding to take the mecha from the school and be decoys, and he certainly mourned the guy's death.

So him just chilling out in a chef's apron and just casually cooking himself a nice meal while people outside his home are running for their lives is just him being calm to prevent people from dying? I've never seen a show be that explicit in trying to show just how much the hero has like total ice in his veins. They even went the extra mile to have his sister call him and be like "Uhhh.. you haven't evacuated yet?" And he's like, "Mmm... nah, just enjoyin my home cooked meal here. What's the big dealio?"
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:23 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
So him just chilling out in a chef's apron and just casually cooking himself a nice meal while people outside his home are running for their lives is just him being calm to prevent people from dying? I've never seen a show be that explicit in trying to show just how much the hero has like total ice in his veins. They even went the extra mile to have his sister call him and be like "Uhhh.. you haven't evacuated yet?" And he's like, "Mmm... nah, just enjoyin my home cooked meal here. What's the big dealio?"

For the above reason and others, I'm of the opinion that there's something messed up with him emotionally. Whether it's previous trauma or maybe autism or some other reason. He's not heroic in the respect of a guy that overcomes his fear to do what needs to be done, that's for sure. I'm sure we'll find out why he's this way before the series is over.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Character consistency, Inaho acts overly cool after being thrown on the ground by the disguised princess (in other words a set up for his personal actions), a "normal" person would be reasonably pissed and might struggle to get free, later on by not significantly reacting to his friends death and going right into strategy mode with a possibly suicidal plan to act as a decoy it reveals much about Inaho's mind set and character, so long as his future actions are consistent I see no real problem with such an overly stoic lead.
Galap

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:17 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

That whole thing was kind of odd, but I think he was waiting for his sister, who told him to do so in the event of such an emergency. Of course, the specific circumstances would dictate that he should probably have evacuated with the others and abandoned that plan, but for some reason, he decided not to, much to the dismay of his sister.

I guess my point is that just because we're not explicitly and bombasitcally being made privy to characters' emotions and motivations for behavior doesn't mean that such things don't exist and aren't being conveyed in a more implicit way.

In the specific case of not evacuating, I'm not really sure why he did what he did, but IDK, I don't really feel the need to know that at this juncture. I'm ok with things that don't really play their hand too early or try too hard to make sure you understand every little thing that's happening. Figuring stuff out is part of the enjoyment for me.

Last edited by Galap on Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
I guess my point is that just because we're not explicitly and bombasitcally being made privy to characters emotions and motivations for behavior doesn't mean that such things don't exist and aren't being conveyed in a more implicit way.

Of course not. But it doesn't mean they do exist either. Yeah, maybe there are reasons for him acting all stoic and emotionless. But I see absolutely no evidence of any attempt to convey his inner state of mind. And if a show fails to actually convey a character's internal state...well then it basically becomes moot. Based on what we're being shown he's nothing but an emotionless, unresponsive cutout. Maybe that will change at some point when they reveal his secret inner turmoil and motivations but for now I think the criticism stands.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I can see a level of stoic-ness to the main character but he comes across as "emotionless" for me. He almost appears apathetic but that wouldn't be the right word to describe him as seen spoiler[from his facial expression when his friend was "deleted" by the Martian mecha.] It's a bit hard to discuss his character now because he lacks almost any personality at the moment. Maybe it'll be expand upon later and we'll see how he became this emotionless being.

With mankind being spoiler[unable to effectively counter the Martian technology,] it makes me wonder how they'll approach a remedy. I don't definitely don't want to see the trope of "mankind acquires new tech to combat aliens." It would be nice to see them take strategic measures to battle even if it has proven ineffective so far.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't definitely don't want to see the trope of "mankind acquires new tech to combat aliens."

It is either that Mankind invents new technology or mankind finds ancient tech to overcome the current predicament, the latter feeling more like an ass pull without additional set up and the former at this point feeling like a Hail Mary pass considering the mech's the Martian's are riding in are effectively invincible to the Terran's current tech level.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:14 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Quote:
I don't definitely don't want to see the trope of "mankind acquires new tech to combat aliens."

It is either that Mankind invents new technology or mankind finds ancient tech to overcome the current predicament, the latter feeling more like an ass pull without additional set up and the former at this point feeling like a Hail Mary pass considering the mech's the Martian's are riding in are effectively invincible to the Terran's current tech level.

I think this about Martians vs Martians vs Martians vs Martians ...
earthlings are just puppets.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:20 pm Reply with quote
I should toss in that "stoic" to me means "enduring the storm of emotions without displaying them". But "emotionless" means you have no emotions to be endured. The MC seems to me to be of the later category, except for at the point where his friend died, where it seems ambiguous to me. He may have emotions, but if he does, they're buried so deeply that they might as well not exist. Possibly something that happens over the course of the show will be him reconnecting with his emotions... or not.

He's like a male version of Rei Ayanami.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

I wouldn't even go that far.

As stoic as Rei came across, she did actually show emotion, in usually very reserved ways. (I have always thought that this was largely lost in the innumerable Rei copycats that popped up over the years.) Granted, that didn't start happening until episode 5 of NGE, but Rei also probably had less screen time and dialog in the first four episodes of NGE than Inaho did in the first two of this one.

No, I'm curious to find out what, exactly, is wrong with him, because I can't imagine a character whose standing in the story is as important as his being written that way without reason. I do think the story is making a mistake by not already having at least vaguely alluded to why is the way he is, though; NGE got away with it with Rei because she was a cipher that Shinji had to figure out, but there's no such relationship (yet) here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alberto7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

For the above reason and others, I'm of the opinion that there's something messed up with him emotionally. Whether it's previous trauma or maybe autism or some other reason. He's not heroic in the respect of a guy that overcomes his fear to do what needs to be done, that's for sure. I'm sure we'll find out why he's this way before the series is over.

I hope to God that they don't use the excuse of mental impairment as a cop-out for his ultra-stoic/emotionless/whatever nature. That would just be cheap. They're gonna have to come up with a darn good excuse for why he is that way, and, even then, I would possibly still consider it a poor way to introduce a character. In other words, this anime may have already lost overall points in my book, as much as I hate to say that; I was (and still am) VERY pumped for this anime. I just don't like the approach they've taken at introducing his character. As was mentioned before, they could have hinted at a little bit of his past to make up for how unnatural he seemed.

Of course, I could still change my mind about the whole thing at some point in the future, but, like I said, they'll have to do a darn good job at it. His character felt so unnatural and jarring to me that it became a distraction, and it almost ruined the entire episode (key word: almost. The episode was still awesome).
Galap

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:15 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
I should toss in that "stoic" to me means "enduring the storm of emotions without displaying them". But "emotionless" means you have no emotions to be endured. The MC seems to me to be of the later category, except for at the point where his friend died, where it seems ambiguous to me. He may have emotions, but if he does, they're buried so deeply that they might as well not exist. Possibly something that happens over the course of the show will be him reconnecting with his emotions... or not.

To me he seems closer to the former, if I had to choose between the two.

And to me it would be VERY cheap if there ends up being some Big Reason, especially a past event, that is the 'explanation' as to why he is the way he is. I think it would be much better if he were just kind of a bit of a weird dude.

On an unrelated note, I just had an interesting realization: a lot about the general premise of this show makes me think that it's paying significant homage to The War of the Worlds, as both are about Earth being invaded and crushed by vastly technologically superior Martians and their mecha. There are a lot of more specific similarities as well, such as the invaders going after supply and communication lines first, and being told chiefly from the point of view of a civilian who rushes through evacuations and disaster areas trying to flee the Martian onslaught, and a focus on factual presentation of events rather than a lot of explicit exposition about the main character (who in The War of the Worlds isn't even named).
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:59 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

As stoic as Rei came across, she did actually show emotion, in usually very reserved ways. (I have always thought that this was largely lost in the innumerable Rei copycats that popped up over the years.) Granted, that didn't start happening until episode 5 of NGE, but Rei also probably had less screen time and dialog in the first four episodes of NGE than Inaho did in the first two of this one.

You're right, of course. I was being unfair to Rei (whom I like quite a bit). She reveals she has emotions when Shinji asks her why she fights, though people could probably pick up on that sooner than that reveal if they're paying close enough attention. I was just flailing around for a character with an emotional make-up similar to Inaho, and Rei was the first to come along -- but it's not as good a fit as I'd intended.
SethMosrite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:16 am Reply with quote
This much analysis two episodes in is a waste of time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 90