• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Aldnoah.Zero (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:28 pm Reply with quote
There's also the possibility that he's just trolling everyone into wondering spoiler[if she is alive], and planning on us continuing to wonder it for the remainder of the show.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:19 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
There's also the possibility that he's just trolling everyone into wondering spoiler[if she is alive], and planning on us continuing to wonder it for the remainder of the show.

spoiler[That'd be interesting, but it would mostly be playing on people expectation of an anime, most of the reason nobody think she's dead is the way the scene was shoot (we don't see her face at any moment, nor hear her voice) and the fact that they bother to introduced her and give her some personality but not enough for the viewer to care about her. So if he's just trolling knowing people would think she was alive, that's lots of effort to put into a single joke, not too mention like half the first episode was put into it, so wasting all that for nothing instead of introducing more interesting element or at least having one mech battle isn't exactly a wise move.]

spoiler[I also would love if it was reveled that she faked her death fully knowing that it would lead to the destruction of major cities, because she just never cared about the human. But I highly doubt it and it would come out of nowhere and overly clash with her personality showed during the first half. I suppose we'll find out what's of it in episode 3, while I wasn't impressed with this episode, I suppose given the anime pedigree I should at least watch up to it.]

Oh and on that map, so much about it is wrong that I'm glad it wasn't heavily feature in the show.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
spoiler[
I also would love if it was reveled that she faked her death fully knowing that it would lead to the destruction of major cities, because she just never cared about the human. But I highly doubt it and it would come out of nowhere and overly clash with her personality showed during the first half. I suppose we'll find out what's of it in episode 3, while I wasn't impressed with this episode, I suppose given the anime pedigree I should at least watch up to it. ]

Not gonna lie, that idea would be a worthy set up for a trolling narrative.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:41 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
spoiler[the fact that they bother to introduced her and give her some personality but not enough for the viewer to care about her.]

*coughspoiler[Kamen Rider Gaim]cough* *coughspoiler[Yuuya]cough*

[both spoilers are related]

But seriously, guys. Trust me. Urobuchi has no problem spoiler[killing off named characters] in the first episode. Heck he has no problem spoiler[killing off named characters that were made out to be important in the pre-release media].
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Looking back on the episode, the history book says "this resulted in the appearence of the Vers Empire." So this could mean that it appeared from the ranks of the colonists or that they appeared from space.

But then later Marito says "Out on Mars they got their hands on the power of the gods. Relics of a civilization long gone" so that suggests they are human colonists, not the 'long gone' civilization themselves.

Later still that handmaiden girl says "we subjects of the empire became a new race distinct from the old humanity we left on Earth when Emperor Vers inherited the authority of Aldnoah." Maybe it's just me but I get the impression she's talking about something recent, not some ancient event.

So yeah, I still say they're human colonists that got alien tech, not ancient aliens come back for their stuff.
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the whole spoiler[princess being dead or not] thing, I can think of a number of different ways it might go from here, all of them centering around spoiler[that locket]. For example:

1. spoiler[She's not dead, but goes into hiding and disguises herself, because clearly someone wants her dead, and her having the locket is what clues in Slaine (or maybe just the audience) to the fact that it's her.]

2a. spoiler[She's not dead, and gives the locket to someone else at some point, for the same reason Slaine gave it to her, and when Slaine sees this person with it, he assumes they are the ones responsible for her death.]

2b. spoiler[Same as above, except she is dead, and someone picks the locket up from the site of the attack rather than being given it.]

3. As Tuor_of_Gondolin suggested, spoiler[she is dead, and Slaine himself is the one who finds (the remains of) it.]

Personally I still think that spoiler[the person killed in the attack was a body-double, since we never saw her face during that scene], but since it is Urobuchi, I would not be surprised if I was wrong.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:30 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I guess I just frown on such a blatant use of meta-gaming in my anime. It's okay if the anime is built with that in mind (e.g. No Game, No Life). But when a series is supposedly playing it straight, this is something I tend to frown on. I guess we'll find out eventually, though maybe not by the end of the next episode.

Oh, and Vaisaga... the "this resulted in the appearance of the Vers Empire" was something I took to mean that they showed up because the colonists were messing around with their stuff, or something like that. Honestly, though, I think I'll just refrain from making further comments on this until we get some more episodes and context under our belts. I think we can all agree that there is room for various interpretations based on the data we've been given so far.
Galap

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:10 am Reply with quote
Yeah, one of my pet peeves in any storytelling is to be deliberately deceptive to the viewer and the viewer alone. I don't mind being led into a false belief if the characters also believe that thing at the time, but I don't like it when the work seeks out to intentionally deceive you and you alone.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:44 am Reply with quote
While I thought the first episode was amazing, deserving, imo, a 4.5, I'm mainly chiming in to say; as a New Orleanian, I did not find the destruction "offensive", per se, and actually thought the scene was pretty bad ass. However, I did think that it may have been a bit insensitive, due to the city being damn near destroyed 8 years ago, and over 1,000 people dying. Soooo, I'm basically saying, I think they could have done without it.

That's my take on it.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:45 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed it quite a bit. It does seem like a pretty standard setup though.
In regards to the Princess, my theory is spoiler[ that she probably knew something like this would happen and planned for it. My main reason is the Princes's assistant was not shown getting killed along with all the ambiguities already mentioned. She probably came to Earth to give or activate a hidden Gunda.. I mean generic mech for humanity, to help them fight.

]

I could be wrong though, looking forward to more.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
spoiler[My main reason is the Princes's assistant was not shown getting killed along with all the ambiguities already mentioned.]

I'm thinking maybe spoiler[the assistant was the body double. That would start off the Urobuchi counter.]

Even if spoiler[she is okay], remember we're dealing with the man who's on record as saying "I am full of hatred towards men's so-called happiness, and had to push the characters I poured my heart out to create into the abyss of tragedy." So things aren't going to end well for anyone.
Bango

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm in the spoiler[body double] camp. The scene is blatantly vague as to who spoiler[actually died. With a body double we still get the kill], but not to somebody who seemed important and was at-the-time underdeveloped.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:44 am Reply with quote
Well, I'm certainly going to watch this, being very much a fan of Urobuchi. As I don't think first episodes are his strongest point, I'm not too worried that I liked this first episode, but didn't love it. Subtlety in establishing a world isn't his biggest talent of his IMO, with the exception of Gargantia. That was a really well done first episode. As we don't know yet how much exactly he's going to be involved in actually writing the scripts for the individual episodes of this show, I'm keeping my expectations realistic. There's a huge difference between writing each episode (Psycho-Pass) or just providing the framework and first and last episodes (Gargantia). What I liked most about this episode is that it seems we're going to have an ensemble cast instead of the one hot blooded teenage mecha pilot. I still have to memorize the characters' names, but, so far, it looks like at least a dual lead, with the teacher and sister as important side characters. Urobuchi writes good ensembles, so that's looking promising. spoiler[I also liked the way the characters reacted to the explosion, not going all out drama, but apparently just being unable to fully comprehend what was going on. I don't think the main guy didn't care, and he didn't seem emotionally challenged to me. The children commenting on the shooting stars had Urobuchi written all over it, and the music was very nice.] Promising, very promising, but I'd be more hyped if we actually knew how much Urobuchi was involved.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:14 am Reply with quote
^He's only writing the first three episodes for this show.
jl07045

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:55 am Reply with quote
Knoepfchen wrote:
Subtlety in establishing a world isn't his biggest talent of his IMO, with the exception of Gargantia. That was a really well done first episode.

There was a one-sided battle between typical future totalitarian humans and space squids, suddenly wormhole and we're on Waterworld with hippies.

Last edited by jl07045 on Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:54 am; edited 3 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 90