• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Incredible Geniuses

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tcdelaney

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
I can't believe that Chiyo Mihama from Azumanga Daioh wasn't on the list!

How about Washu (Tenchi Muyo)? Just like how none of Ryoko, Sasami nor Tsunami were in last week's poll ... (FWIW, Ryoko would have been my #1 pick by far).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I have no disagreement with those on the list, but I'd have to add Kaito Daimon from Phi Brain. Not only can he think on his feet at incredible speed, he also seems to have a lot of esoteric knowledge that helps him solve any puzzle.

And when reading the title, I immediately thought of Shiro of Blank in No Game No Life (even though it's still in progress), although I'm thinking she might be more accurately described as a savant, since she seems to be not very bright (or maybe engaged is the word I'm looking for?) when it comes to applying her genius to anything but games.
Knight-Hart

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see Kurisu on the list.
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:29 pm Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
And not a single person from LoGH. Kids these days.

I double that.

Also, Zhuge Liang from Yokoyama Mitsuteru's Sangokushi. Though he's a historical/classic literature character, so he doesn't really fit, I suppose.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:28 pm Reply with quote
I agree with the #1 pick, but it reminded me of another genius character voiced by the great Masato Hagiwara that should be on the list: Toua Tokuchi from One Outs. That guy figured out the science behind baseball years before Moneyball.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what were the qualifications but the how is Negi from Negima not on this list. At the age of 9 (he claims he is ten but counts from his birth as year 1, making him 9) he argaubly one of the greatest magicians of all time, oh and he is smart of enough to go to a foreign country and teach girls 4-6 years older than him basic classes.

Washu should of course top the list, but she might be disqualified as she is technically a god.

But Victorique and Chiyo are also good choices, you also have Kagami from Denpa if we count just manga, the man's goal is build a doraemon space door. Also have some of the character from detective academy q, not to mention pretty much any character from any detective show like Yakumo, etc.

I mean honestly a lot of the people on this list are not geniuses, they are just smart or talented in one area. I say about 70 percent are and the rest are just smart.
sainta

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:38 pm Reply with quote
I was going to say Lelouch Vi Britannia but I think it doesn't count considering how overpowered he is. All his plans are really ridiculous
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Not surprising that Ami is on the list but should have been top three easily. also i definitely wouldnt have light on this list cause yea he's smart, but definitely not in the genius category. that would either be L or Near who should have been on the list. but if you wanted a smart character who is also a psychopath at times , makashima from psycho pass is a lot better choice. or Maraki from descendant of darkness or better yet lelouch cause he's both a genius and at times a psychotic bastard.

Also is it me or are these polls getting kinda predictable? if it comes with characters with blue hair of course Ami and Rei will be top two easily.

tcdelaney wrote:
Beltane70 wrote:
I can't believe that Chiyo Mihama from Azumanga Daioh wasn't on the list!

How about Washu (Tenchi Muyo)? Just like how none of Ryoko, Sasami nor Tsunami were in last week's poll ... (FWIW, Ryoko would have been my #1 pick by far).

That was also a surprise to me. Since this list is about geniuses they had to have put Washu on this list. though i have a feeling they left her out cause she is in the "mad scientist" category.

Also it have some kind of sick joke too. having a poll on people with blue hair and not including sasami or tsunami have to be a really really bad joke.

sasami would have easily have been in the top 3 along with Rei and Ami. while tsunami would be in the top 10.

also there's ifureita from El Hazard the Magnificent World and qualoo talice from El Hazard The Alternative World, those two should have also been included in the poll as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:12 pm Reply with quote
heh, seems like you'd be better off on these sorts of polls, if you sliced and diced by decade, no?
Still like seeing tons of people on lists that I don't know, and wonder "hmm, I wonder about that show..." course my backlog actually doesn't need another booster to increase it, but still...
personally my fav geniuses would also include:

a Goddess like Washu, becasue she was outclassing everyone, even with her Goddess self sealed away... actually in the Tenchi multiverse, there is ALWAYS an eccentric genius.

I'm sure there were one or two people into shota genius Luca from Macross Frontier... kinda liked his sidestory really.

and something really obscure... Cynthia/Grace from Hanaukyo Maid Tai... who has a tragic story of what a child prodigy could lead to, how they might be treated and abused.

Guess if you look for the genius trope, you can find a LOT of them.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Where's the option for One Manga?

...Yes, that was a joke.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Not sure about genius types a la Da Vinci, but there sure seems to be a lot of mechanical engineering prodigies among girls..

There's Skuld from the recently concluded Oh! My Goddess!
There's Bulma from Dragon Ball (why no mention yet?)
There's Hozuki Ferrari from Galilei Donna (who actually gets to meet Leonardo Da Vinci)

And I doubt those are the only ones of that type...
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Li Kohran from Sakura Wars?....
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Not sure about genius types a la Da Vinci, but there sure seems to be a lot of mechanical engineering prodigies among girls..

There's Skuld from the recently concluded Oh! My Goddess!
There's Bulma from Dragon Ball (why no mention yet?)
There's Hozuki Ferrari from Galilei Donna (who actually gets to meet Leonardo Da Vinci)

And I doubt those are the only ones of that type...

Winry Rockbell from Fullmetal Alchemist, to be sure.

I don't know the majority of characters on here, but I'll third/fourth the recommendation for Reinhard and Yang from LOGH. I'm not really sure that Light belongs on here, either: most of his "genius" seemed to come not so much from actual intelligence as from ridiculous "You thought that I was going to do X, but I anticipated that and did Y instead!" plot contrivances.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:19 pm Reply with quote
For the poll, I was thinking mainly of Seven Seas or Yen Press, but I eventually wound up choosing... shall we say, an unexpected winner, mainly for its Cardcaptor Sakura omnibus release.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

Winry Rockbell from Fullmetal Alchemist, to be sure.

Yes ... because her breasts are geniuses? In the series that has May Chang, pint size alchemist and martial artist and lone wandering warrior princess, not to forget the Elric brothers who became accomplished scientists at a young age, why focus on the one who became a competent engineer only because her best friend did something really stupid that cost him an arm and a leg?

Bulma, I'm ok with her but with that crowd, it wouldn't take much to be proclaimed a genius.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4