• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga Entertainment to Reissue Ghost in the Shell

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kameoosama

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:54 am Reply with quote
I'm happy to have a decent new Blu-ray of it rather than it being a "Bonus Feature" on GitS 2.0, but I'd really rather have a reprint of the GitS Innocence Blu-Ray with the dub or a Blu-Ray version of SAC. Mostly because the first film is relatively easy to get your hands on even if it's not the best version of it.
u6064vision

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:59 am Reply with quote
Manga Entertainment in the US is alive and still thriving under Anchor Bay. They never went away. You guys just aren't paying attention to any of their releases.

In 2004 they released Dead Leaves

In 2008 they released Strait Jacket, Dead Space: Downfall and Dead Space 2: Aftermath

In 2010 they released Dante's Inferno and Ghost in the Shell 2.0 Edition

In 2011 they released Tekken (Live action Film)

In 2012 they released Redline and First Squad: The Moment of Truth
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:08 pm Reply with quote
For all intents and purposes, they're a walking corpse if they only putting out 1 thing every couple of years, and most of them being reissued.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Ha...I'm not even the biggest fan of the original movie, as opposed to Stand-Alone Complex, but I already have two separate releases of it: the original Manga DVD, and their Special Edition release. I almost hope this winds up being a crappy release, so I don't feel like I should triple-dip. Razz
normajean19

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:17 pm Reply with quote
kameoosama wrote:
I'm happy to have a decent new Blu-ray of it rather than it being a "Bonus Feature" on GitS 2.0, but I'd really rather have a reprint of the GitS Innocence Blu-Ray with the dub or a Blu-Ray version of SAC. Mostly because the first film is relatively easy to get your hands on even if it's not the best version of it.

A R1 Blu-ray release of SAC would be a dream come true
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm hoping they do a new-transfer for this release.

Regardless of that, I wonder if there will be any extras included
Ghostless

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of Oshii(and his life time achievement award) anyone know what the heck is he doing ? aside from scratching his b***s! ever since "assault girls" he went into permanent unemployment on the director side...
antrodemus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Ghostless wrote:
Speaking of Oshii(and his life time achievement award) anyone know what the heck is he doing ? aside from scratching his b***s! ever since "assault girls" he went into permanent unemployment on the director side...

He's currently making a live-action Patlabor movie and series. This site has mentioned it quite a bit.
Ji-L87

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:39 pm Reply with quote
For those curious about the video quality, I saw this trailer on youtube for this upcoming BD release*:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMW3G30EV9Y

There's some actual footage at the end of it.
Can't say that I'm all too impressed but hopefully it'll look better than on youtube.

* Amazon.com has no image, but the UK release (also by Manga Entertainment) is a steelbook with some kind of folder. I imagine it's the same release?

I have a pre-order down right now anyway Smile
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that looks like the same not great master.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Still on the fence with this one. Dunno if I'll end up buying the combo set Bandai Visual JP released a while back or go with that newer 2.0 box. Guess whichever I fond for a deal first no hurry. I really like the combo editions BV did the Patlabor sets are beautiful.

Very happy to see this title back in print stateside. Classics like this and Akira should ALWAYS be available and of the best quality.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:19 pm Reply with quote
As long as it's better the the (I believe up converted) 'bonus' version on the GitS2.0 disc, I'm all over this.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:34 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
I wish they would have done a new dub with Mary Elizabeth McGlynn and the rest of SAC cast, but having the unaltered version of the film is certainly nice.

I so wish this would have happened. I jumped on the BD of Innocence, during the short time it seemed to be available, to have an HD version of the movie with the SAC cast.

luffypirate85 wrote:
Very happy to see this title back in print stateside. Classics like this and Akira should ALWAYS be available and of the best quality.

Totally agree.
clipeuh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Manga Entertainment is very much alive. Have you guys not seen "Doge In The Shell" ? Laughing Their youtube channel is a weird thing, they have a deal with Right Stuf to stream stuff too.
ActionJacksin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Man, I'd love to get my hands on an affordable release of GitS, but if it's the zoomed green tinted transfer, then I might be a bit more apprehensive.

This is probably a case where the English licensor (Manga) maybe assumed or was told to believe that the JP bluray had the ideal transfer, completely unaware of a color-corrected uncropped HDTV remaster.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3