• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st 3 JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders Episodes English-Dubbed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:23 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Veniaman wrote:
Oh good lord, why? Rolling Eyes

Imagine trying to hear "USELESS USELESS USELESS!!!"

Not the same.

If it's any guess, they may just use the word "futile" in place of "useless" since it rolls of the tongue much better when spoken in rapid succession.

I'd say that you're both wrong. It will likely remain "MUDA MUDA MUDA!!!"

Why? Viz's release of the manga kept that repetition, and All-Star Battle's localization kept it, too. There is a difference between Dio saying a simple "Muda muda/It's useless" & Dio screaming "MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDAAAAA!!!" That's like expecting the "ORA ORA"s to be translated.

I'm sure the ADR director & writers realize this.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:30 pm Reply with quote
This is probably Warner putting up its own money to see if the casual anime fans are interested in Jojo.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:

Why? Viz's release of the manga kept that repetition, and All-Star Battle's localization kept it, too. There is a difference between Dio saying a simple "Muda muda/It's useless" & Dio screaming "MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDAAAAA!!!" That's like expecting the "ORA ORA"s to be translated.

Wanna bet on it, Geo? Because even you are not 100% sure of this.

Hell, if they do get around to dubbing Phantom Blood, then I severely doubt that they will keep the MUDA MUDA dialogue in for Dio considering how awkward it will sound with him using it as a taunt and not as a battle cry without his stand.

Last edited by KabaKabaFruit on Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Raikuro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Awesomeness, would have preferred to get part 1 and 2 first but will be buying them all regardless (assuming it will actually go beyond streaming...)
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:50 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:

Okay, then if they do get around to dubbing Phantom Blood, then I severely doubt that they will keep the MUDA MUDA dialogue in for Dio considering how awkward it will sound with him using it as a taunt and not as a battle cry without his stand.

Not really, as it's all about context. The dub could simply use ASB for an indication as to when to translate & when to not. Really, Dio says enough nonsensical stuff as it is. In fact, he says even more in Part 1, what with stuff like "KUAAAA!" & the original "URYYYY", neither of which are used in Part 3 ("URYYY" is altered into "WRYYY", but also is used in more rage-filled moments, whereas the original was simply a sound Dio liked to make).
Derook

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Veniamin wrote:
Oh good lord, why? Rolling Eyes

Imagine trying to hear "USELESS USELESS USELESS!!!"

Not the same.

they kept "muda muda muda" in the dubbed version of the ova. don't see them changing it this time around
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:06 pm Reply with quote
gravediggernalk wrote:
1. Hopefully the first season will receive a dub at a later point in time, and this season being dubbed first is just to capitalize off of the series current success in an attempt to bring in more people and sell more manga volumes for Viz.

2. Is there not an English licensing company involved (i.e. the Japanese taking care of it themselves), or has one not been revealed yet?

3. Does this mean that the rest of the season will be receiving a dub, because it's sounding to me like this is just a trial to test interest in one and not a commitment for the whole series?

It will probably be Viz doing the dub work. They just announced a reprint of Stardust Crusaders, licensed Phantom Blood, and said they had more Jojo announcements in store for Anime Expo, which is about the time that these episodes will be streaming.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:07 pm Reply with quote
This is really awesome news, although it sort of bugs me that they didn't tell us exactly who's behind this. I guess we'll find out at Anime Expo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Not really, as it's all about context. The dub could simply use ASB for an indication as to when to translate & when to not. Really, Dio says enough nonsensical stuff as it is. In fact, he says even more in Part 1, what with stuff like "KUAAAA!" & the original "URYYYY", neither of which are used in Part 3 ("URYYY" is altered into "WRYYY", but also is used in more rage-filled moments, whereas the original was simply a sound Dio liked to make).

The sound effects like "URRYYY", "WRRRYY", and "KUAAA!!!" are done to reflect the vampirical battle cries based on the nature of Dio's new vampirical form, which is acceptable. Muda Muda Muda in Phantom Blood just won't come out in the proper fashion in a dub because the meaning behind the taunt will be lost on the viewer and it will come out sounding like Dio has a strange case of autism. The use of Muda Muda in Part 3 may slide because it can be used as a battle cry and battle cries don't have to make sense, they just need to sound offensive and intimidating. In Part 1? Won't work.
Derook wrote:
they kept "muda muda muda" in the dubbed version of the ova. don't see them changing it this time around
I do. One ADR director's preference isn't consistent with another.

Last edited by KabaKabaFruit on Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Even the old old OVA english dub of JoJo had 'oraoraora" for Platinum.

Not sure of "mudamuda".

I think we can have some faith.

Also, Ricard Epcar = badass.
sakuramusicstar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Honestly I'm really excited for this new right now! To those who are complaing or very disappointed that Parts 1 and 2 aren't being dubbed first, think about it like this: Stardust Crusaders is the most popular part in Japan and mainly all over the world since it is well known so this is just a test to see if there are a lot of fans who would buy or watch this which you should know what would happen if there are a lot of people watching and buying then this we get the other parts.

There's no use bitching and whining about those parts not being dubbed first. If you are a fan, you should be happy they we are finally getting a dub and support it enough so you can get Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency afterwards. Hell we may get Part 4 if we keep supporting JoJo the best way we can.

Anyways, I'm excited to watch it next week! Very Happy
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:16 pm Reply with quote
sakuramusicstar wrote:
Honestly I'm really excited for this new right now! To those who are complaing or very disappointed that Parts 1 and 2 aren't being dubbed first, think about it like this: Stardust Crusaders is the most popular part in Japan and mainly all over the world since it is well known so this is just a test to see if there are a lot of fans who would buy or watch this which you should know what would happen if there are a lot of people watching and buying then this we get the other parts.

There's no use bitching and whining about those parts not being dubbed first. If you are a fan, you should be happy they we are finally getting a dub and support it enough so you can get Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency afterwards. Hell we may get Part 4 if we keep supporting JoJo the best way we can.

Anyways, I'm excited to watch it next week! Very Happy

That and Part 3 doesn't have you rooting for NAZIS. Yeah, Part 2 was a BIT complicated.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:49 pm Reply with quote
I liked part 2 the best but of course part 3 is just getting started. Can't wait for the dub.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:05 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
I hate to say this but I think the dub casting was a little reckless here. For starters, Dio and Joseph are British. Did both Seitz and Epcar manage to pull off convincing British accents for their appointed roles? If not, I'm not sure what to make of this.

Yeah, 'cause they've got flawless British accents in the Japanese. Oh, and Joseph was born in America; Jonathan and Erina were crossing the Atlantic at the very end.

I wouldn't mind seeing Battle Tendency get a dub, especially if NGP is involved, plus Joseph is my favorite Jojo (so far). Phantom Blood sets up the whole Dio/Joestar conflict, but it really isn't necessary to enjoy Stardust Crusaders, and is just sort of... mediocre.
sakuramusicstar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:24 am Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
I hate to say this but I think the dub casting was a little reckless here. For starters, Dio and Joseph are British. Did both Seitz and Epcar manage to pull off convincing British accents for their appointed roles? If not, I'm not sure what to make of this.

Yeah, 'cause they've got flawless British accents in the Japanese. Oh, and Joseph was born in America; Jonathan and Erina were crossing the Atlantic at the very end.

This.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4