• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Glasslip (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:33 pm Reply with quote
I wish other versions of myself existed to talk with. It would be one way of assuring I'd get to have an intellectual conversation for a change...
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:34 pm Reply with quote
of just find better friends
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I'd love that but unfortunately my "get better friends" budget is only a measly $10/month. Sad
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:11 pm Reply with quote
I have a feeling I'd constantly fight with my other selves.

Like that one story in Calvin and Hobbes when Calvin cloned a bunch of him to do his homework and chores but none of the clones wanted to do it because they were exact copies of him, thus ALL lazy and disobedient. Anime hyper
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Laughing Ah, how I miss Calvin and Hobbes...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
I am somewhat normal compared to this anime.... Rolling Eyes You will not see me talking to two other Chiibis or hiding while talking to people.

So now you are saying that I am weird?

Wink
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:20 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Chiibi wrote:
I am somewhat normal compared to this anime.... Rolling Eyes You will not see me talking to two other Chiibis or hiding while talking to people.

Wink

Are you saying you do that? Wink

Quote:
Ah, how I miss Calvin and Hobbes...

It was the best....Sad It had something special other comic strips do not.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I must admit with the newest episode I did get a genuine feeling that these characters have grown somewhat and have moved past their issues (as sanity-questioningly weird as those situations got at times). Well, Touko and Kakeru aren't quite there yet, but the other pairs I think are in a nice place.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
Chiibi wrote:

Wink

Are you saying you do that? Wink

Well I am a social introvert, I often feel like hiding when talking to people. There was also a joke ages back on the forums where I said that their were multiple of me or personalities to explain why sometimes my grammar was really bad, while other times I put a lot of work into expressing my thoughts. I hope that I have become more consistent since then, and I am not quite Tomoko levels of anxiety anymore.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12:

Well, I had to ask myself what was going on quite a bit this episode until I realize it's some sort of spoiler[alternate reality]. Idk what this show is trying to do anymore but the technical aspects like artwork and soundtrack still looks nice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I understood Evangelion perfectly, but even I'm left wondering what the hell I just watched.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:24 pm Reply with quote
You guys sound like you are upset or offended that you are being challenged. Have you never seen Muholland Drive? Sometimes the best and most rewarding stories aren't spoon fed to you.

Magnificent anime. Animating all those moving figures of the township must have cost a fortune. Whatever was lacking in Glasslip up to this point was made up for with this episode.

I rather like it when apparitions (Kakeru-prime in this case) are self-aware of their nature. You don't see that too often.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm not particularly upset. I was quite jovial while watching it. I was just going "WTF?" every couple of minutes.
Galap

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:21 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
You guys sound like you are upset or offended that you are being challenged. Have you never seen Muholland Drive? Sometimes the best and most rewarding stories aren't spoon fed to you.

Magnificent anime. Animating all those moving figures of the township must have cost a fortune. Whatever was lacking in Glasslip up to this point was made up for with this episode.

I rather like it when apparitions (Kakeru-prime in this case) are self-aware of their nature. You don't see that too often.

I agree here; I'm really liking this anime.

One of the main reasons is that it's just plain different. It marches to a really different drummer than a lot of things, and that's why I think people are finding it hard to figure out. I find the effort of figuring things out-- things from why Yanagi sent the 'futon' text (which we later learn when Yukinari sees it) to what's going on with the weird vision events, to even for what purpose we're on this ride for.

I think the show has now implicitly communicated to us what's going on with the weird vision events. I think DuskyPredator stumbled upon something close to the right answer after last episode. I think spoiler[It's not the future; what they're interacting with is parallel universes, the main one being where Okikura was living there for a long time and is established in the friend group, and Touko moves in in the winter. I think that this crossover happens between Touko and Okikura and moreso when they are close because these people and their moments together are the points of greatest overlap between these universes because the interpersonal dynamics there are coincidentally converging on something similar.]

I also really liked the visceral aesthetics of the winter landscape, and the music and timing of everything. It really conveyed a unique mood extremely well. It resonated really well with Touko's loneliness and isolation.

On a lower intellect note, I also get a real puerile sense of satisfaction from the visual innuendo gags this thing likes to pull, for example Hiro's sister walking in on him polishing a ski pole in his lap while he berates her for coming in without knocking, and Yanagi sucking the foam from Yukinari's ejaculating ramune. Usually I'd think this kind of thing is stupid but it works really well here, despite the fact (now that I think of it probably actually because of the fact) that the tone isn't the kind of thing that would usually do that. It's the serious presentation that makes it work. It's both funny and intellectually symbolic, if that makes any sense.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:52 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I understood Evangelion perfectly, but even I'm left wondering what the hell I just watched.

I'm in the same boat as you. Just switch EVA with Air TV. I just sat though the entirety of that tonight, understood it perfectly, then watched this and am wondering what the hell I just watched.

This show.
I don't.
What?

Quote:

I'm not upset either. I'm just kinda going 'what'.
I wish I cared more about the characters but I'm bored. Right now I'm just watching to get it over with. I'm not that attached to anything in this one. It's like "..........ok, whatevs." at this point.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10