• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal (ONA).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:42 pm Reply with quote

Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal (ONA 2014)
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal (ONA 2015)

Genres: action, magic
Themes: animals as advisors, bishoujo, magical girl, secret identity, sentai

Plot Summary: Usagi Tsukino was a normal second-year middle school girl whose own life changes one day when she encounters a black cat. The cat's name is Luna who can talk and bears a cresent moon on her forehead. Luna tells Usagi that she is the chosen guardian of justice with the power to transform into Sailor Moon. Usagi now has a new responsiblity which is a mission to find the Illusionary Silver Crystal as well as the other chosen guardians to protect the Moon Princess. During her mission, she must deal with various enemies sent by Queen Beryl who is also after the Illusionary Silver Crystal.
----------------------------------

Preview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9Ft3viBgtQ

Number of episodes: 26

Ah, so much nostalgia. Even after I heard the news a few months ago, I was looking forward to it. The PV came out recently and I have some mixed thoughts on it. It does portray the original artwork well though.

The theme song is decent and I'm pleased with the voice cast too.

Note: 2 episodes will debut per month.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:01 pm Reply with quote
The most anticipated release this year, that's for sure....
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I must regretfully admit that i did not ever get around to seeing Sailor Moon back in my day (yes i know I don't have a childhood!) so I'm quite grateful for this reboot. I also dig the new modern character design. Looks a whole lot more appealing Smile
Raftina

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't the Pretty Guardian designation only refer to the live action versions?

I'm not sure why this series gets so hyped. It's a reboot of a cheesy 90s series.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
Doesn't the Pretty Guardian designation only refer to the live action versions?

Negative. "Pretty Guardian" is a (loose) translation of "Bishoujo Senshi". Not one I'd personally use. "Bishoujo" is "beautiful girl" and "Senshi" is "soldier" or "warrior". "Guardian" is closer to "shugo", imho.

Quote:
I'm not sure why this series gets so hyped. It's a reboot of a cheesy 90s series.

Considering that you have Ami as your avie, I'm assuming you are trolling. Rolling Eyes
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:43 pm Reply with quote
I watched this as a kid but I only really remember the english OP. Fighting evil by moonlight , winning love by daylight...
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

pretty sure that's SAO, not Sailor Moon.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Chiibi wrote:

pretty sure that's SAO, not Sailor Moon.

Hoho, how much you wanna bet on that? :'D

SAO was 2012. I doubt its sequel's hype is overtaking the hype over the original 13 eps...
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:51 pm Reply with quote
^ There is no way SAO is the most anticipated show this year. A lot of people were disapointed by the first season.
Bango

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:53 am Reply with quote
I first saw Sailor Moon as a "Best of" collection my g/f at the time picked for me. It condensed the show from 200 eps to about 32, and that made it quite good. Seeing the whole thing later I realized I'd just rather see all long mahou shoujo series condensed down to their bare essentials, as I did for a friend with a few of the Pretty Cure series.

I do dig how this new version manages to look a lot more like the manga art as I think I remember it.

Though I'm going to have a really hard time not joking about Venus showing off her anal beads in the trailer.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:36 am Reply with quote
I'm another person who has not seen any of the original. I'm curious about this franchise though, so this seems like a good way to get introduced.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:55 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
^ There is no way SAO is the most anticipated show this year. A lot of people were disapointed by the first season.

There is no young people like Sailor Moon to make this one the most anticipated of the year.

fine, change to most anticipated show this season. Don't really want to wait a year for the poll result. We will see the next season's poll result very soon.

Early result in one of the many polls, from 2014/5/22~5/28, Male:53.4% Female:46.6% was

1. Sword Art Online II

2. Free! Eternal Summer

3. Hanamonogatari

4. Black Butler: Book of Circus

5. Hamatora Season 2

6. Tokyo Ghoul

7. Sailor Moon Crystal

8. Persona 4: The Golden

http://www.charapedia.jp/research/0017/

SAO already shot up to top 5-7 anime in CR with just new PVs released. It's just behind naruto, OP, Fairy Tail, and other new anime that have new ep that day.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

There is no young people like Sailor Moon to make this one the most anticipated of the year.

fine, change to most anticipated show this season. Don't really want to wait a year for the poll result. We will see the next season's poll result very soon.

Early result in one of the many polls, from 2014/5/22~5/28, Male:53.4% Female:46.6% was

I am surprised the male to female ratio is close. I would have expected males to be around the 70% range since SAO is basically male otaku pandering.

Also that list is pretty sad. I would have expected Zankyou no Terror to be near the top but it wasn't even a top 8 one. It was probably the most talked about anime in the summer preview thread here.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:57 pm Reply with quote
I Never heard of Zankyou no Terror, It can't be the most talked about. Not sure where do you get the data. It's probably going to be one of those anime that sell 800-1500 bluray anyway.

I think 1 to 4 are expected.
1 and 3 are for male , 2 and 4 and are for female. They are all very popular shows' sequels.

If you really don't think Sao And Free! the most anticipated shows this season. You are probably not paying much attention to the anime world anyway.

Last edited by Spotlesseden on Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Huh what data? I am talking about the thread that was posted on ANN last week.

Oddly enough, I can't find the Survey for the 2014 Summer anticipation on ANN (assuming one was made)

That said, online surveys are very iffy in regards to representing what the masses think especially when they have a sub 2,000 voter pool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 18