• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What does Sailor Moon mean to you? Entries Part 1

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor Star Dust

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Tsubasasan11: Thank you! Anime smile

Tempest wrote:
This is actually a big part of why we made it more than just a photo-contest. We didn't want it to be about who owns the most merchandise.

As a teenager, I might have had a nice amount of merchandise, but as an adult? Nope, lack of space and money. Laughing To be honest, I'm really glad to hear this. I totally think what should matter the most is what comes from your heart, not how much stuff you own. We're all fans after all.

Evan M: Today's Sailor Moon coming out stories were so beautiful! I remember it helped reassure teenager-me that being bi is a normal and valid sexuality. Smile Best of luck!
mightymitch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:00 pm Reply with quote
It's very cool to see how many people Sailor Moon impacted. There were a number of very good entries. Sadly, I didn't get a chance to enter...

But I am also confused by this list...are all of the entries listed here being considered as finalists and eligible for winning the prizes?

I only ask because I notice that some of the entries did not follow the "100 word limit" for their write-up and I don't think it would be fair to the contestants that stayed within the 100 word restriction if those who didn't follow the rules are being considered "finalists".

But overall I am enjoying seeing the entires and am looking forward to the next parts. Very Happy
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I didn't enter, and my story isn't as dramatic as some of the others, but Sailor Moon DID impact my life.

I'd never seen the show before, though I was aware of what it was and who some of the characters were. It would be pretty hard to be an anime fan in the 00s and NOT know about Sailor Moon. Anyway, I went off to college and knew absolutely nobody. I'm a pretty shy person and have a hard time making friends on my own. But hey, the college had an anime club, so I started going to it. I sat in the back and didn't really speak to anybody. It seemed that I was the only new person there, and that was a little awkward for me.

At that time, the club was showing mostly stuff I'd already seen before, but they were also showing Sailor Moon Stars. Now, having never seen any of the show before, this is a pretty strange part of the plot to come into, but I was absolutely fascinated with it. So I kept going, just to see more Sailor Moon each week. Through watching this show in particular, I started socializing more with the people there. I stayed for the Sailor Moon, but made some new friends in the process. And the next year, new people joined the club and I made more friends and met people I wouldn't have ever had a chance to meet in any kind of normal circumstance. So, Sailor Moon was kind of a stepping stone to getting me through college.

So, yeah. That's what Sailor Moon means to me, and why Sailor Moon Stars in particular has a special place in my heart. Very Happy
leonasenshi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:07 pm Reply with quote
mightymitch wrote:

I only ask because I notice that some of the entries did not follow the "100 word limit" for their write-up and I don't think it would be fair to the contestants that stayed within the 100 word restriction if those who didn't follow the rules are being considered "finalists".

I agree, I also noticed this with several entries and I also thing that if they are finalists that it would be very unfair to the rest of the people who followed the 100 word count rule, I think that the rule could have been better with 150 or 200 words max because you can hardly convey the full message of your "experience" correctly without cutting words out with just 100.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:21 pm Reply with quote
These stories are amazing. Keep them coming.
silentgrace7

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Congrats to the people who were in part 1 Anime smile

I hope I end up in one of them maybe ouo Although if I don't that's okay too.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:40 pm Reply with quote
leonasenshi wrote:
So, I'm a little confused... the entries posted... are they the finalists or just the actual entries from everyone, because your title says "Here they are! The first 100 or so finalists in our Sailor Moon contest." yet I keep reading that these are not the finalists, because you might still be uploading entries for "part 2" ?

idk, could you please clarify that.

Thanks.

They are the finalists. Just not all the finalists.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:42 pm Reply with quote
mightymitch wrote:
But I am also confused by this list...are all of the entries listed here being considered as finalists and eligible for winning the prizes?

Hmm, we'll have to double check that. We did discard a good number of entries because they were over 100 words, maybe we missed a few.

-t
leonasenshi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
mightymitch wrote:

Hmm, we'll have to double check that. We did discard a good number of entries because they were over 100 words, maybe we missed a few.

-t

I saw at least 15 people (from the ones I had the time to read) and went well over 100.
SailorDJ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:14 am Reply with quote
I love how everyone expresses what Sailor Moon means to them. Very Happy

Congrats to those who've made it!
Amara Tenoh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:50 am Reply with quote
I think it's safe to say anyone could win this. All these stories are so amazing!

But I must say, I absolutely adore Krissy's StarS school uniform cosplay!
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:19 am Reply with quote
Man, some of these are real suckerpunches--right in the feels! (Especially you, Evan-with-the-single-Luna!) It's amazing to see all these heartfelt entries. ^^

Some of these people are way more high-profile than I would've thought (no offense ANN!). And Shauna Franklin's made me laugh til I cried! Anime hyper
Swirlyd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:57 am Reply with quote
Hope I make it into the finals, didn't see my entry yet. Fingers crossed >.<
dlready87

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:42 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
mightymitch wrote:

-t

I just went through the first 9 rows of the first finalists and found 5 entries with over 100 words! one even has 203!
dlready87

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:11 am Reply with quote
just finished my Microsoft Word word count on all the entries, 11 entries over 100... these can be found on the: top row, 3rd, 6th, 10th, 11th, 17th, 19th and two on the 9th and 15th rows...

with you guys saying you have over 1000 entries to go through, I figured I'd help you guys out a little bit... Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 29