• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blue Spring Ride (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10:

Cute episode. It felt a bit slow spoiler[but I can deal with it. We find out a bit more about Kou's mom which I feel sorry for. Then, there's that scene where Futaba and Yuuri made up on the roof.]

"WHY DID WE FALL FOR THE SAME GUY?". Love is complicated.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
A Mystery

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

Wonderful episode. A lot of flashbacks this time (bit too much), but they did have a point in telling the story.
I somehow did not think about the possibility before that spoiler[Kou's mom had died,] so the feelings Futaba had were really relatable. And spoiler[caring for your terminally ill mother at that age... so sad.] I wonder if the brothers ever properly communicated their feelings, just to give them a place. I can certainly see where they're coming from. I wonder also if tspoiler[he mother became truly sick after the divorce or if she actually knew earlier on.] Not something we'll find out this cour I'm sure, if it even matters for the story at all.

And I loved the spoiler[hug scene. Friends ] forever! Best spoiler[confession] scene too Wink.

And yay for honest characters again. The portrayal of Kou was a bit off sometimes in the last episodes (with that spoiler[rather tasteless and cliche pseudo-molesting] scene for example) and even Futaba now is not perfect - a bit pushy sometimes.
As for Murao: I'm sure we'll find out eventually what's up with her if the series gets to continue past this season. For now I like her, since she seems like a real friend who will not involve herself with people who do not respect her nor her boundaries.

Last edited by A Mystery on Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:43 pm; edited 3 times in total
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:38 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Study session went relatively well.
Futaba coming back out of curiosity for Yuuri situation last time.
She couldn't get much out of Kou though..
At least she finally found out why Kou changed so much.
That was what Yuuri found out... about Kou's mom's death.
Futaba's little breakdown led to a nice moment with Kou.
Sensei totally ruined that though..
He kinda made up for it with the story of their past.
Yuuri spilled her feelings about the Kou situation.
Yeah, it sucks when friends fall for the same guy..]
mykokoro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:30 am Reply with quote
Watched the first episode and it was sweet and cute. I'm not sure I'l finish it, but it will most likely be something I'll watch after I have cleared up my queue just to relax and unwind from all of the anime action I watch frequently.
MagicallyDelicious

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing the spoiler[lack of introduction of Kikuichi and his friends] in this episode means that they are currently not planning spoiler[a second season]? Or they will spoiler[change the way he is introduced because he was supposed to be on that rooftop, too...]. I hope they do it, though, I really like this anime. Especially the opening theme! So pretty!

After the last episode I went and read the manga up to current. I had a feeling it was spoiler[something closer to what it actually was than anything between Yuuri and Kou] but I was so curious I had to find out.
Crusher X303

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:08 pm Reply with quote
At this point in time I kind of just want Futaba and Yuuri (that's her name right...) to just ditch the block head and have a nice lesbian relationship with each other.

I know it would never happen... but I still want it to.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11:

Pretty good episode with the spoiler[back story. I thought it was somewhat late with the way it was presented but an important part was a glimpse at Toma, a prominent character. If this show gets a season 2, then we'll see a lot more of him.]

The connection between spoiler[Kou/Futaba were cute and emotional imo this week but also felt somewhat idk, different.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:16 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Flashbacks to Kou's past.
More info about what was going on..
Kou was dealing with his mom's condition rather well.
His emotions keep fluctuating..
As soon as someone gets closer to him, he gets distant.
Maybe he's afraid he'll lose them like he did his mom..
Kou reverted to his old habit of hanging out with those guys.
Not good, but luckily Futaba pulled him out fast!
It was nice he finally opened up to her.
Such a sweet, emotional episode end.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:35 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

So one of the reasons he spoiler[avoids his brother could be that he can't face him because he chose to put off time spent with his mother with studying]?
A Mystery

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:59 pm Reply with quote
@Dusky: Well, yes. His brother said to spoiler[take care of her. Kou's way of doing that was to provide his mom a good future, even though she'd hinted already that his time with her right now was more precious to her than money. So he studied like crazy to make that future happen (apparently she wasn't rich? No extended family to help either).
But yeah, then she fell ill and he felt guilty for not realizing what truly mattered, that tomorrow is not a certainty and 'neglecting' his mother because of that. There was no one present to correct his train of thought - his brother felt guilty towards him too for not being able to help,]
so the two do not properly communicate.
That father must be spoiler[one flawed personality too. Your kid is suffering and you do not even notice]?
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:14 pm Reply with quote
#12 Final

spoiler[Kou showed emotions for real this time.
It was even more then she hoped for.
Those moments near the river were so sweet and romantic.
Kou finally realized she isn't going to give up on him.
The whole thing even changed his situation at home.
Guess he realized quite a few things..
Things went to normal after that.
He started socializing and studying.
Looks like there's still hope for sensei & Tanaka as well.
Very nice & sweet final episode.
Everything felt just right.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12/Finale:

It was a good show although I didn't think the finale or rather than final conclusion was satisfying for this season.spoiler[ It leaves some unresolved issues as to 'who ends up with who'. Shuuko's characterization was also minimized as we barely know her back story.]

I think this season gave the audience a lot of insight on Futaba and Kou's relationship (both past and present) rather than others. Speaking of others, remember that spoiler[kid from episode 11 that got into an embarrassing moment with Futaba? He made an appearance again! He is actually an important character so if season 2 ever comes, we'll see him a lot more. ]

Overall, I'll rate this very good though. Waiting for S2 in the future...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 (final)

Oh, I see it now, the "spring" in the title refers to the season. This whole time I have been thinking of spring as in water, I should have known because "haru" refers to the season. How stupid can I be.

It was a nice end, of course not enough that anything feels properly concluded in terms of relationships, but a lot of these type of shows do that. I will have to add this onto my list of shoujo romances I want to see more of. This show did not rebuild the genre, or deconstruct it like a certain other funny show, but it really just did a solid job. I think my favourite aspect was the friendship between Futaba and Yuuri, how they were able to continue their friendship despite what situation they found themselves in. they had an interesting look on level femininity. Also special mention of the cupcake incident. Actually there were some nice other scenes too like the table scene.

I rate it Good, as far as I consider this genre, I think that it is worth seeing.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Final

The spoiler[family] scene is easily one of my favorite scenes this season. I feel like this show got stronger every episode. The first episode did not really blow me away, with the standard story and characters.
Actually, Blue Spring Ride is a straight high school romance story with serious drama, nothing we haven't seen before, right?

Well... I believe there are actually few serious school romances that get it right. Can you name one? I personally thought Toradora! did a pretty amazing job (with a lighter tone), but that is about it. Kimi ni Todoke is also cute, but Sawako is often a bit too childlike and naive. Bokura ga Ita was excruciatingly slow. Fruits Basket is a classic, but the many drama elements stem from the fantasy setting. Kare Kano... o that could have been the perfect show if not for that directing failure with a stopping story and an all time low budget...

Anyway. Rarely have I seen the main character try so hard to change and actually try to face her problems and sort them out. Rarely do you see as much honesty between characters as pictured here.
And that friendship, I love the friendship in this show.
Something else that is quite odd for a romance show, is that, while the main characters haven't ever kissed each other, they've shared many other intimate moments.

Kou could be quite annoying with his ambivalent attitude, but the backstory more than made up for it. The only scene that was actually a miss, was his spoiler[joke of threatening to molest Yoshioka.]

I really do hope they make a second season.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:45 am Reply with quote
After a season of Wolf Girl and the Black Prince it was soooo nice to see the Blue Spring Ride Episode 13 OVA and be reminded how a story like this should be done. (be warned though- current fansubs are a little weak in places.)

Sweet, honest, full of genuine feelings. Yuri's concerted effort, the misunderstanding with the new guy, the moments at the train and on the street afterwards, the predictable problem at the end and the girls talking it over at the end, every moment so perfectly done.
I sure hope this is a sign that they will get around to a second and probable final season, as it seems the manga is ending it could prove to be one of those rare anime occurrences... a romance with an actual definitive ending.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5