• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fans Pick the Anime Characters They'd Most Want As Dads

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:00 pm Reply with quote
blindworm wrote:
akio furukawa. the person who neglected his daughter for years and refused to take responsibility of her; letting others look after her thinking that he can't do it.

sometimes, fans confuse me

I think you have the characters in Clannad confused! Tomoya was Nagisa's husband who when she spoiler[died stayed in a state of funk for 4 years] before finally looking after his daughter Ushio. Akio was Nagisa's father, and apart from being an intentional idiot was an AWESOME dad.

Akio did have his flaws, after all he did leave his daughter sick in bed alone in the house which lead to Nagisa's initial brush with death, but still made up for it by giving up his dreams for his daughter and also becoming a dad to his granddaughter.

Sometimes wannabe fans confuse ME
TheTsunami

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Yeaaaah, I think having a father who is, you know, dead...kind of overrated by these people.
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Not a bad list.
jymmy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:28 pm Reply with quote
My first thought was Fujitaka Kinomoto from Cardcaptor Sakura. I remember in particular the scene in the anime where he discovers that Sakura's unintentionally trashed his office and research in the process of capturing the Sleep card. He couldn't understand the situation, but her feelings were enough, and his forgiveness was heartwarming. What a guy.
TG72

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:44 pm Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
My first thought was Fujitaka Kinomoto from Cardcaptor Sakura. I remember in particular the scene in the anime where he discovers that Sakura's unintentionally trashed his office and research in the process of capturing the Sleep card. He couldn't understand the situation, but her feelings were enough, and his forgiveness was heartwarming. What a guy.

You beat me to it and that's a great example. When that happened, he also spoiler[gave her a chance to help fix things by finding books for him as he rewrites his lecture.]

Throughout the whole show he's very understanding, calm and supportive and works really hard to provide his kids a living. Can't do much better than that...
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Isshin Kurosaki isn't #1? He actually has a job.
IZFSLE

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:55 pm Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
blindworm wrote:
akio furukawa. the person who neglected his daughter for years and refused to take responsibility of her; letting others look after her thinking that he can't do it.

I think you have the characters in Clannad confused! Tomoya was Nagisa's husband who when she spoiler[died stayed in a state of funk for 4 years] before finally looking after his daughter Ushio. Akio was Nagisa's father, and apart from being an intentional idiot was an AWESOME dad.

Akio did have his flaws, after all he did leave his daughter sick in bed alone in the house which lead to Nagisa's initial brush with death, but still made up for it by giving up his dreams for his daughter and also becoming a dad to his granddaughter.

He obviously hasn't seen the show and has no idea what he's talking about. Tomoya ended up being a great father. If I had my choice I'd pick him over Akio.
Miyanoai

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:26 pm Reply with quote
yappers4 wrote:
Did anybody notice Levi from Attack on Titan as a possibility for best dad?

Yes and I cracked up when I did.

Honestly I'm surprised Hughs didn't make it on the list. I would have also gone with Shiro Fujimoto from Blue Exorcist but I can understand why he's forgotten. Why do the good dads end up dying...?
sim0n2170

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Kirito? The hell kind of list is this.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:57 pm Reply with quote
sim0n2170 wrote:
Kirito? The hell kind of list is this.

Well, y'know, the girls all picked him because they knew he was into the whole "incest" thing. Razz
sunflower

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:09 am Reply with quote
yappers4 wrote:
Did anybody notice Levi from Attack on Titan as a possibility for best dad?

Why not? He'd keep the house spotless and Titan-free!

Best anime Dad? What about Joseph Joestar? Sure, chances are you'd be chased by a vampire and die early, but you'd have a lot of fun and be manly while you were here.
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:42 am Reply with quote
IZFSLE wrote:
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
blindworm wrote:

He obviously hasn't seen the show and has no idea what he's talking about. Tomoya ended up being a great father. If I had my choice I'd pick him over Akio.

Wasn't "bad dad Tomoya" just kind of deus ex machina'd away (along with some of my enjoyment of the series)? Laughing
IZFSLE

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:49 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Wasn't "bad dad Tomoya" just kind of deus ex machina'd away (along with some of my enjoyment of the series)? Laughing

I guess if you were fiddling on your phone the entire time instead of paying attention you could see it that way. To each his own I guess.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:24 am Reply with quote
Ryu Shoji wrote:
No Shou Tucker?

ARE YOU FREAKING NUTS? Or are you just trolling like a lot of people in these polls. Tucker is definitely no father. Hell he ranks right alongs with Geno Ikari, Dr Yager , Charles Z Britannia & Medusa as the WORSE PARENTS IN HISTORY!!! Though Gendo and medusa are definitely the worst and rightfully so.

Though there was no surprise at all minato would be number 1 and goku number 2 & Kazuto takes third. that was a given. as well as Isshin would make the top 5. but Akio from Clannad? definitely not. I would easily put Whitebeard over him as a top dad.

But the real question is NO Charles from Eureka 7? I'm definitely surprised he never made the list considering he & and ray have a large fanbase and all. that have to be the uber snub of the month.

Kreion wrote:
leatherhead333 wrote:
Goku is fine but Kirito? Hell no.

No shock to see Minato up there. Even in death he never stopped protecting his son. Can't get much better than that Razz

You what?! Goku is one of the worst anime fathers in history, he's just terrible.

At least Kirito could be a good father in the future, I mean honestly...still I wouldn't pick him either. Huges from FMA seems like a good bet...realistically there aren't that many good fathers haha.

Please. Goku is definitely not terrible. your definitely trolling now. sure all he thinks of is nothing but food, but hell at least he's not like vegetta. his only saving grace was in the buu arc. if it was him i would definitely agree. the same with Ryuken Ishida & Van Hoennheim. Sure their not evil incarnate like Tucker and Gendo , but their definitely no father material at all. Their sons are another story.

However you are right about Huges. how is it that he never made the list is beyond me. sure his time was brief just like charles, but their is a reason why their still popular.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:41 am Reply with quote
IZFSLE wrote:
Ali07 wrote:

I guess if you were fiddling on your phone the entire time instead of paying attention you could see it that way. To each his own I guess.

I'll guess and say that, even with your comment on my attention span, you won't explain it to me. Laughing

I've only seen the anime, so don't know if the game explains things earlier/better.

I honestly felt like the supernatural element just...came along to grant his wish. Was there something prior that I overlooked that explains about wish granting?

From what I remember, the supernatural events in the anime deal with Fuko, the cat, and his wish to turn back time...? The guy goes through years of crap, but all of a sudden his wish (which I'm sure would've been something he was wishing the entire time) all of a sudden gets granted.

Happy with the ending it led to, but it did have a deus ex machina feel to it. The supernatural seemed to play such a small role in the 40 something episodes prior to the end, that for it to lead to THE ending made me feel like I was just king hit.

*Sigh* Probably going too off topic...

Akio is a great dad.

Last edited by Ali07 on Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6