• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Anime Expo Stuffs 4 Tons of Nature Valley Granola Into Attendee Goodie Bags

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:02 am Reply with quote
This is the most bizarre corporate-meme-thing I've ever heard of, and I love it.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:56 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
SouthPacific wrote:
They may not be healthy

Eh, what? Sure, there's healthier things people could eat, but they don't call super health conscious people "granolas" for nothing.

I'll have you know I've recently lost 60 lbs. by incorporating these things into my diet. They're so much better for you as a mid-workout snack than your average candy bar.

A Nature Valley bar and a bottle of Fiji water in between two 30 minute sessions on the elliptical machine? The pounds just melt right off you. Cool
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:25 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Emerje wrote:
SouthPacific wrote:
They may not be healthy

Eh, what? Sure, there's healthier things people could eat, but they don't call super health conscious people "granolas" for nothing.

I'll have you know I've recently lost 60 lbs. by incorporating these things into my diet. They're so much better for you as a mid-workout snack than your average candy bar.

A Nature Valley bar and a bottle of Fiji water in between two 30 minute sessions on the elliptical machine? The pounds just melt right off you. Cool

High calorie count in the form of sugar with little fiber... For weight loss that's the opposite of what you should consume, which would be small amounts of sugar & more fiber. If you're one of those who believe you need some sugar as it gives you some quick energy/gets your system going i'm going to have to inform you that you're terribly mistaken. And taking it in the middle of a workout is self destructive.

Don't believe me? Go to any reputable bodybuilding/weight loss board, and they'll tell you the same thing.

@Emerje If this kind of food really is considered healthy in the US (which I highly doubt) then I can imagine why there's a lot of overweight and obese people.

E: Low protein count doesn't exactly help either...

Last edited by SouthPacific on Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:32 am; edited 1 time in total
spinja446

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:49 am Reply with quote
Hopefully no one is allergic with nut reactions.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:32 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Nature Valley is a life saver, you'd die at conventions like these without food and water.

Really? Is it that hard to take a few minutes to grab some fast food or something?
誤称

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:10 am Reply with quote
It says a lot about a con where the attendees can't even feed themselves.

Is it really to hard to remember to eat?
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:02 am Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:
Nature Valley is a life saver, you'd die at conventions like these without food and water.

Really? Is it that hard to take a few minutes to grab some fast food or something?

It's the long lines for food that do you in.

Long lines for food booths vs. the panel you wanted to attend starting in fifteen minutes = go to panel and figure you'll eat something later. Wink
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:23 am Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
High calorie count in the form of sugar with little fiber... For weight loss that's the opposite of what you should consume, which would be small amounts of sugar & more fiber. If you're one of those who believe you need some sugar as it gives you some quick energy/gets your system going i'm going to have to inform you that you're terribly mistaken. And taking it in the middle of a workout is self destructive.

Don't believe me? Go to any reputable bodybuilding/weight loss board, and they'll tell you the same thing.

Your standard Nature Valley bar has 190 calories. That's quite a bit less than your average Snickers or Milky Way bar.

Yes, they have quite a bit of sugar, but all things considered 190 calories really isn't that bad. For me personally, that averages out to around 12 minutes on the elliptical machine. And depending on which type you get, they actually have more fiber and protein than you might think.

Look, I know you're the argumentative type, but considering I have LOST 60 LBS taking this approach, I really don't think there's much for you to argue against. And as far as speaking to a "reputable bodybuilding board" about it, well... I went straight to my doctor and asked him if it was okay, and he said "If it works, why not?"

And I *think* my doctor knows a LITTLE bit more about it than you do. Wink
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:32 am Reply with quote
To be fair this is just another marketing platform for Nature Valley; they do this a lot in the UK at train stations and in city centre.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:43 pm Reply with quote
SnaphappyFMA wrote:
EyeOfPain wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:

It's the long lines for food that do you in.

Long lines for food booths vs. the panel you wanted to attend starting in fifteen minutes = go to panel and figure you'll eat something later. Wink

That's what friends are for.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:19 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
SouthPacific wrote:

Your standard Nature Valley bar has 190 calories. That's quite a bit less than your average Snickers or Milky Way bar.

Yes, they have quite a bit of sugar, but all things considered 190 calories really isn't that bad. For me personally, that averages out to around 12 minutes on the elliptical machine. And depending on which type you get, they actually have more fiber and protein than you might think.

Look, I know you're the argumentative type, but considering I have LOST 60 LBS taking this approach, I really don't think there's much for you to argue against. And as far as speaking to a "reputable bodybuilding board" about it, well... I went straight to my doctor and asked him if it was okay, and he said "If it works, why not?"

And I *think* my doctor knows a LITTLE bit more about it than you do. Wink

If you have a doctor telling you to incorporate this type of unhealthy food into your everyday diet you should have an investigation filed towards him/her.

And why are you bringing up chocolate bars? Don't tell me you were thinking of eating straight up candy while working out, do you want to get diabetes Laughing? Comparing the two is comparing something that is ridiculously unhealthy and something that is just unhealthy. In the end they're both bad for your body, and you cannot argue against FACT.

Your body needs calories as you need energy to function. Just keeping your organs going while remaining perfectly still consumes a lot of energy, and adding physical exercise on to that means you'll have to get more energy.

But sugar is a horrible form of energy.

If you feel the need to eat something while working out you haven't had enough to eat earlier in the day. I've never seen anyone eating in the gym, if anything they do it after the workout while just chilling on the sofa, and they either have a fruit or a shake. Fuel up a while before the work out, get the burn going, and eat something high in protein after the workout. Never in the middle of one, i've never heard of anyone doing this...

Source: Multiple years in the gym. Google.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:10 pm Reply with quote
But then isn't fruit bad for you as they are packed with sugar?

I say if your loosing weight and still eating these then carry on Very Happy

Last edited by TsunaReborn! on Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Different kinds of sugar, not everything is sucrose, but depending on the fruit, it'll also be full of other nutrients. Granola stuff like this usually isn't too bad if it's an after-exercise snack, which is pretty much the only time I ever consume protein bars.
Ariolander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:46 am Reply with quote
Seeing as I just bought a big of these to bring to AX the standard 'crunchy' bars in the green wrappers and just finished taking Nutrition this last semester let's break down this label.

Considering I only eat one bar at a time at cons, usually giving the other to the buddy in line with me I am using the 1 bar metrics.

• Calories: 90
    Not bad for a snack. Whether these are empty calories or not remains to be seen.
  • Fat: 3g
    Not bad either. Its of the unsaturated variety so it's not that bad for you and fat is a necessary part of the diet, despite the stigma about it.
  • Cholesterol: 0
    Always good news. Didn't seem like an animal product.
  • Sodium: 80mg
    A bit much, but most processed foods will have a lot. Expected really.
  • Carbohydrates: 15g
    Not bad at all. This is a good amount of sustained energy.
  • Sugars: 6g
    Not ideal but I do not think this a is a bad amount especially if sourced from honey.
  • Protein: 2g
    Not really that necessary as I don't believe most con goers are bulking up but it doesn't hurt.
  • Fiber: 1g
    Nice dietary fiber. Never a bad thing. Always good to have.

I am no doctor but as a person who got a B in Nutrition after studying these labels for 18 weeks I am comfortable earring this product.

With whole grain oats there will be some nice bran and complex carbohydrates. The Protein and Fiber help contribute to long lasting satiation, that full feeling. The sugars and fats seem reasonable even with a double serving.

There are certainly better things you could eat but I can't think of many that are portable, convenient, and suitable for a con setting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2