• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Barakamon (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danilo07

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:46 pm Reply with quote
If they had gotten rid of ham–handed drama and overwhelmingly cheesy conclusions to the stories, I would have liked this show more. The animation was also lacking considering this is Kinema Citrus show.But it was still fun and I am glad something like this got made into anime.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:28 pm Reply with quote
What ham-handed drama? This show was overwhelmingly comedic in tone and even its so called "drama" (i.e. Sensei's entry in the exhibition or his mother not wanting him to return to the island) was meant to be viewed as comedic rather than dramatic.

Cheesy conclusions? That's your own bullshit filter coming out. People like you shouldn't watch shows like this if seeing people be friends and get along is "cheesy" in your view. Rolling Eyes

Animation was perfectly fine. This was a comedy, ffs, not an action show. The animation conveyed everything it needed to convey.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What ham-handed drama? This show was overwhelmingly comedic in tone and even its so called "drama" (i.e. Sensei's entry in the exhibition or his mother not wanting him to return to the island) was meant to be viewed as comedic rather than dramatic.

Cheesy conclusions? That's your own bullshit filter coming out. People like you shouldn't watch shows like this if seeing people be friends and get along is "cheesy" in your view

Are you denying that there were any dramatic moments in the show? Just out of my head, in penultimate episode they tried to create dramatic tension by having spoiler[Sensei leave the island.] Like, ooh I wonder what will happen next episode, of course spoiler[he will return there is no need to create any dramatic tension.
As far cheesy conclusions are concerned, I was thinking about stuff like conclusion of episode 1. Where he literally and figuratively climbs up the wall of mediocrity and sees beautiful sunlight, with inspirational music in the background. Good God, we get it! You should experiment with art and whatnot. Can you try and be more subtle about it? The entire scenario is so ridiculous, that it was unintentionally funny.
Quote:
Animation was perfectly fine. This was a comedy, ffs, not an action show. The animation conveyed everything it needed to convey.

Yuyushiki ( created by the same studio) was well animated despite being comedy. You can convey huge amount humor simply through well animated character acting, which is something that Barakamon unfortunately lacked. It did have some interesting animation when character designer played the role of animation director, but otherwise nothing stood out.]
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Like almost everybody else, loved it, gonna miss it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:13 pm Reply with quote
There was nothing "ham-fisted" about Sensei leaving the island. He never went there with the intention of making it permanent. The reason he left the island was perfectly organic to his character and the story. "Ham-fisted" is a pejorative term indicating that something was handled clumsily, which Sensei leaving the island was not. There was never any doubt that he would go back. That stuff with his mom wasn't played for drama: it was played for laughs. If you didn't get that, I don't know what to tell you.

I actually don't recall the moment you are citing from episode 1 but I have no doubt it happened. In a straight ahead drama, a scene like that would be cheesy. In comedy there is a bit more latitude, imo. It seems like a dodgy complaint. You make it sound like the show was filled with moments like that, which I dispute.

I don't think Barakamon lacked anything with respect to animated character acting. Watching Haru and Hina, for example, was both funny and a joy. There were plenty of times throughout the series where I laughed in part or mostly because of the animated character reaction to an event.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:51 pm Reply with quote
I personally think there was drama, but I don't think it was ever done clumsily or interfered with the comedy. When he left the island without saying anything it was up to you to draw conclusions of what that meant, it seemed to be an immediate shock at first, but as we saw the kids also knew he would be back.

He is changing his entire view of the world, and I don't think there was anything cheesy about the moments when he suddenly sees a brilliant sight that lights a fire for calligraphy. Things were often dramatic because he is a dramatic person, it is part of the comedy, and as we saw later, his mother seems to be where he got it from. When Handa sees the sea in the last episode, he notes that it is normal, this is meant to show that he has grown. In the last episode there are three steps to showing that he is no longer the overly dramatic person he used to be, spoiler[first how he differs from his mother, second with he see the view, and lastly that he does not get depressed over placing so low].

Not everyone probably shares my view, but one the reasons I think this show beat the other two comedies of the season was that t could so seamlessly meld comedy and drama.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:56 am Reply with quote
Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!! THE CUTE!!!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMu40HUoRSQ

Everyone should import the Japanese BD/DVD just for these video extras!
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:01 am Reply with quote
very tempting, but I really don't want to buy the show twice
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:16 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
The mom throwing a tantrum lol.

I think the source of Handa's immaturity has been revealed. She was quite over the top; Haru herself is more mature than Handa's mom. At least up until her last scene.

Just finished this and I rate it as one step below Masterpiece. They didn't do everything right but none of that matters. Wonderful story.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:08 am Reply with quote
It was, well... ok, look: Kiyohiko Azuma needs to allow someone to make Yotsuba & ! into an anime so we can stop getting half hearted attempts like this one faking it.

Barakamon was good, I can say that much but it didn't do anything or mean anything. I always got the feeling that the Islanders stuck to Handa because they didn't have anything else to do so. Furthering the problem, all their personalities were built around dropping in on Sensei; Fine for six year olds, a little weird for the middle school girls.

Calligraphy. Art for people who can't do more than stick figures?

It was nice, it was funny but it was also innocuous and impersonal; "slice of life" minus the "life" part.

The biggest problem: Families or maybe just "family". This is a problem throughout but I'll just stick with the Handa family as that's the only family presented as a family {everyone else you need to play "connect the dots" and even then, it's not like you get the complete picture}.

Handa family: Mother, Father, son. Simple enough, especially taken singularly: Father, mother and son as the roles they play. They don't work as a family though. It's not a matter of dysfunction or even age though both play a part. If that's the father then the son should be like this and the mother like this. If that's the mother then the son should be like this and the father like this. If that's the son, his parents should have disowned him years ago.

The family with the mother as a focal point would have a dependent ten year old boy and probably a middle management hen pecked husband, in his late twenties, thirties. From the father, the son would be in his mid thirties and the wife would be a grandmother already. From the son, I see husband and wife intellectual duo, college professor and probably a doctor or nurse. As they are presented, it's amazing anything actually got accomplished living under that roof.

Still, it's always possible the father had a stroke and the mother had a mental breakdown.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:36 am Reply with quote
HA! Thanks to a radio show I listen to weekly, I finally understand the reference when Naru was all, "Mmm... Mandom" after she was able to read katakana.

It was a reference to an old Japanese commercial starring Charles Bronson, and it's his face that Naru had turned into. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nabxi5DGmvg

Mystery solved!

PS Check out Han Megumi's tweet for adorable photos of the cast from the event on Saturday! The kids didn't take part in the event but apparently they were in the audience for the noon performance. No announcement for a second season, alas.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10