• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Mazinger Z Sub.DVD Part 1

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:26 am Reply with quote
This show is bad. B-A-D, with all capital letters. Koji is one of the biggest not-so-nice-people I've ever seen in anime, and he's a moron, to boot. I cannot believe I'm saying this, but that guy from Daimidaler, who is PARODYING Koji, is a better protagonist, sexual assault and all.

PS: The windshield wiper bit cracked me up.
GVman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The show improves enough that by the end you may catch yourself enjoying it. Do not be fooled by this. This is the entertainment equivalent of the Stockholm Syndrome.

What does it say about me if I enjoyed it from the get-go?

DmonHiro wrote:
This show is bad. B-A-D, with all capital letters. Koji is one of the biggest not-so-nice-people I've ever seen in anime, and he's a moron, to boot.

Elaborate. He's sexist for sure, but so was nearly every other guy in Japan in the 1970s.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:36 am Reply with quote
GVman wrote:
Elaborate. He's sexist for sure, but so was nearly every other guy in Japan in the 1970s.

And that may have been acceptable back then. It isn't now. I do not enjoy watching a mean-spirited asshole in anime, especially when they're the main character. Sure, I enjoy the playful asshole MC once in a while (Kaze No Stigma, Hagure Yuusha), but 96 episodes of a dumb jerk as the MC? Hell no.

Last edited by DmonHiro on Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Otaking09

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:47 am Reply with quote
Well, guess that settles it, I'll read the manga version over this. Shorter, faster, and low-risk of ruining the charm.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:52 am Reply with quote
I haven't had the chance to watch Mazinger yet, but a few years ago I bought the Mazinkaiser OVA (from the early 2000's I think), and I thought it was fantastic. Shows from the 70's seem to have a simple and straightforward nature to them, and I'm curious what the original was like (which means I'll probably be picking this up eventually).
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Dude, don't compare Mazinkaiser with Mazinger-Z. They may share the concept... and a few timelines (it's complicated), but quality wise, they are nothing alike. You should check out Mazinkaiser SKL.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:04 pm Reply with quote
showing that while something might have been culturally important, it doesn't mean it was GOOD. Then again, that's Go Nagai works for ya; I don't know what is up with him, but too many of his works are just REALLY mean-spirited and misogynistic. And not in a fascinating way.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:10 pm Reply with quote
I disagree, AiddonValentine. I think it's QUITE fascinating how almost all his works are mean-spirited and misogynistic. I mean really? ALL OF THEM?! Even by accident, there should be one that isn't.
GVman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Mean-spirited?
SantaBla

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:47 pm Reply with quote
But Karl, MSG and Eva are shit.

Tomino is only good when he's writing non-Gundam works (Xabungle, Daitarn 3, Zambot 3)

Anno is only good with Gunbuster.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Imagine this reviewer trying to review other 70's and 60's era anime. This was less a review and more of an attempt to make a mockery out of something that is nowhere near as bad as suggested. yeah this set is 40+ episodes that were never built for watching in a marathon setting.

This review certainly doesn't help people get interested in anime history. Complaining about irrelevant things like windshield wipers. Do you know how few giant robots have those.

"The first piloted Super Robot didn't have windshield wipers!"

At any rate, I watched this, had fun, and tried to understand the plight of the creators and studios of the 1970's era when they were all struggling to find out how to stay profitable from anime to anime. The creating of classic and modern shows have a story behind them too.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:00 pm Reply with quote
A reviewers job is to review something, not to consider what plight the creators might have gone through. Anime history has nothing to do with its quality.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:03 pm Reply with quote
As much as I like Nagai works, there's just no way I'm sinking time into a zero budget 70s show regardless of the influence. Maybe that's where compilation films will come in. I'll just stick with the remakes and spinoffs too, it's not like it's hard to grasp all of the Mazin* concepts. The only downside is that Jun Hono isn't the main character in recent stuff.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm interested in this for historical reasons but not really for any other reason and 90 episodes is so many.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:28 pm Reply with quote
SantaBla wrote:
But Karl, MSG and Eva are shit.

Tomino is only good when he's writing non-Gundam works (Xabungle, Daitarn 3, Zambot 3)

Anno is only good with Gunbuster.

Not true, Anno is only good when Kazuki Nakashima is writing, and more importantly when other people are actually directing and Anno is just supervising. So Anno just plain sucks as a director.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11