• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex of America to Release Valvrave the Liberator 1st Season on Blu-ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:38 pm Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:
I came to complain about the lack of a dub. The fact that it's priced so steeply when it's already being streamed for practically nothing goes without saying.

This is my main complaint. The fact that Aniplex still insists on charging $10 an episode despite the fact that you can get a one-month subscription to Crunchyroll and get the exact same experience for cheap just seems foolish to me. The inclusion of a dub would at least help soften the blow, even though it would still be overpriced.

Unless of course you just *REALLY* love printed pieces of paper. In which case I don't know what to tell ya. Confused
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I liked this show a lot, but I don't see paying $120 for it.

For *half* of it, Blood-. This is just for 12 episodes. Shocked
cloud8100

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Hoping for a UK release at some point Anime catgrin
JackCSutcliffe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Geez, does Aniplex think that people are going to buy this wasted potential of a boxset? Their upcoming Madoka movie sets, Anohana movie releases had fair prices, but this doesn't even have a dub, and only postcards. This is also around the same price for their Blue Exorcist BD releases. How does that make scene?
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:10 pm Reply with quote
I just came here to see how many people won't be buying this because of Aniplex. Keep fighting the good fight, guys.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Blood- wrote:
I liked this show a lot, but I don't see paying $120 for it.

For *half* of it, Blood-. This is just for 12 episodes. Shocked

I knew that, but I view the show as two seasons. I guess we can be thankful that AoA decided to release it in two chunks as opposed to 6 sets of 4 episodes each?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:17 pm Reply with quote
For their Triple A anime that they know are big in the west, I'm sure they could have easily gone with two-episode sub-only sets at $64.99 SRP, and they still would have sold well. I don't know if Valvrave is that kind of series, but Mudurka definitely was.
JackCSutcliffe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Blatch wrote:
I just came here to see how many people won't be buying this because of Aniplex. Keep fighting the good fight, guys.

Can we even win this fight? The only way i could see is that we send in those feedback cards in their BD/DVD sets telling them to lower their prices. But they won't care, they only care about the people who eat up their over priced garbage (their money to be exact).
BooktapC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:36 pm Reply with quote
I think for me personally Valvrave the Liberator was the epitome of a brilliant mecha anime series.

Even if the ending was a little less than stellar I still enjoyed it immensely. I could care less if others say it's utter garbage. I love it and would still want to own it.

But why Aniplex?! Blu-ray only and sub only and then the somewhat pricey tag. First Blue Exorcist now this. Well you know I sort of expected this. Since I am a realist I'll just have to say this is another series just can't own. I guess I'll be sticking to my treasured Sentai Filmworks and FUNimation dvd releases.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:36 pm Reply with quote
JackCSutcliffe wrote:
The only way i could see is that we send in those feedback cards in their BD/DVD sets telling them to lower their prices.

Isn't that the exact opposite of putting your money where your mouth is (given that you've already made the purchase when you get the card)?
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:41 pm Reply with quote
either aniplex of america is smoking too much weed or they're really dropping in quality 120 bucks for subbed only? wtbff are they thinking do they really think american fans have that kind of expendable funds for crying out loud just seeing the price tag made me cringe but to find out it's subbed only and all you get are some posters and post cards that pinched my balls in half
nightjuan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Is anyone surprised by this price? We're talking about Aniplex.

As for Valvrave...it was crazy, messy and dumb, but that was the whole point of what the series was going for. The premise is basically Space Nazis vs. Space Vampires. The staff wanted to make entertaining insanity with something of a B-movie appeal. Is that "so bad it's good" though? Yes, but with a degree of self-awareness. The series mocked itself and you could easily mock it as well (which, admittedly, doesn't make a certain scene less offensive, mind you, but that's been debated to death).

There was occasionally something slightly clever, moving or interesting, to be honest, so it's not like they didn't try to diversify at all. Did those attempts help? Kind of. Overall, I'd say the results were mixed and the ending was underwhelming. I don't think I'd ever want to rewatch it. I got a few hours of superficial low-brow enjoyment out of the experience and moved on. Even at a lower price, I'd find it hard to justify a purchase.

Charred Knight wrote:

Which is shocking when you consider that the writer is Ichiro Okouchi who wrote Planetes which was released in 2003 and was in fact the last well written anime he ever wrote.

Oh wait it makes perfect sense.

Outside of your blanket dislike of Code Geass which I've always found to be a simplistic position that can be easily disagreed with - and have debated at length in years past, since the writing of the series has a combination of both positives and negatives rather than just one or the other - there's a fair amount of post-2003 works from Okouchi with decent writing. He's not a great writer, of course not, but he can write good stuff from time to time. I'd say it depends on the type of project and what's asked of him.

He wrote episode 26 of Eureka Seven, which is one of my favorites. Shigofumi was a pretty good TV series. Fuse: Memoirs of a Hunter Girl was a decent albeit unremarkable film. The Berserk movies suffered from length compression, bad 3D work and total redundancy but are still watchable. He wrote a Battle in Three Dimensions special for the Gundam: 08th MS Team BD release, which nicely showcased the robot action, and his episode of Space Dandy was generally well-received and a nice change of pace. I haven't heard anything about Brave Story or Magic Tree House, but I guess they're probably fine as family friendly anime films. You're free to dislike any of those, of course, but the facts are more nuanced than you think.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:51 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
For their Triple A anime that they know are big in the west, I'm sure they could have easily gone with two-episode sub-only sets at $64.99 SRP, and they still would have sold well. I don't know if Valvrave is that kind of series, but Mudurka definitely was.

Up to this point pretty much all AAA titles churned out by AniPlex had a marketability to match their near-Japanese pricepoints. Valvrave? No, I really can't see it slugging it out in the same weight class. For $10 an episode, I think I place my bets on Knock-Out in the first Round...
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:04 pm Reply with quote
cloud8100 wrote:
Hoping for a UK release at some point Anime catgrin

Anime Limited will be distributing it, I think BD only. Because Andrew Partridge himself has said that he wants to create quality collector's releases it'll definitely be more expensive than your regular cheap UK release, but just like any other AtA LE/CE release it'll be really high quality at an affordable price.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Up to this point pretty much all AAA titles churned out by AniPlex had a marketability to match their near-Japanese pricepoints. Valvrave? No, I really can't see it slugging it out in the same weight class. For $10 an episode, I think I place my bets on Knock-Out in the first Round...

Yeah, I just don't get it. Some of the stuff like Fate Zero, Madoka, or SAO I could see having enough appeal that people would want to pay aniplex prices for them. Something largely seen as mediocre at best from all the various opinions I have either heard or read doesn't seem likely to sell much at that price (while there are inevitably people who did really like it, there is clearly not a huge fan following). Where as Fate, SAO, Madoka clearly have a large amount of hardcore fans to sell super expensive stuff to.

Personally I think valvrave is like Guilty Crown... decent lead up in the first half and turns to utter crap in the second. I wouldn't even pick either up in a bargain bin.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5