• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Harmony Gold Launches 'Robotech Academy' Mini-Series Pilot Kickstarter Campaign

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:05 pm Reply with quote
We also don't have DYRL here, and likely never will along with Flash Back 2012. So it's still definitely not about any supposed music issues. And the music is one of things Macross fans come to love, music is one of the corners of the Macross triangle, and it's clear Robotech isn't about that or love triangles.
GLindis

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:11 pm Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:

Harmony Gold sued Hasbro once, because a modern Transformer toy set has a jet fighter who is named the same as an old jet fighter that used the old Valkryie (Veritech for the Robotech folk) mold, thusly Hasbro was infringing, despite Hasbro having the right to the original toy, even though this wasn't the same toy in question. THE MERE RESEMBLENCE is why they sued..

To elaborate on this: Hasbro purchased the rights to use the VF-1 toy in their Transformers line back in the early 80's, around the same time Harmony Gold licensed the Macross TV series. This is why there was never a Veritech toy in Robotech toyline, Hasbro actually owned the license for that particular toy. That's why you only saw Tomahawks and Minmei dolls. The figure was called Jetfire in the Transformers line, and had to have a different name and design when featured in the cartoon and comics so as to not infringe on Harmony Gold, who only owned the related images. Hasbro is releasing an updated version of the character in the current Transformers Generations toy line, which is what prompted HG's legal action. HG lost that lawsuit, and it's becoming clear that they likely actually own nothing except the name "Macross".

There is plenty of reason to hate Harmony Gold, and frankly I'm disgusted with ANN for failing to even mention the Macross connection in the article. This situation is clearly hurting the anime industry, so you would think they could explain this to anime fans who might not know, and might be tempted to support this Kickstarter.

I'm also sick of people saying that without Robotech anime would not have taken off in the U.S. While some people certainly discovered anime through Robotech we also got Star Blazers, Tranzor Z, G-Force and Voltron around the same time and even earlier. Voltron especially is much more remembered by the public at large than Robotech. Anime didn't really explode here anyway until DBZ and Sailor Moon. Robotech may be have left fond memories for some, but it has no place in today's anime paradigm, and its progenitors are actively harming the industry.

Just for a glimpse of how manipulative and deceitful Harmony Gold is, scroll to the bottom of the first post here. Harmony Gold tried to trademark the name "Macross" in Japan! http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=35826
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:17 pm Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
One way to maintain your copyright is to keep making new products. They keep trying to start new pieces just so that they'll never lose the copyright protection.

I just wanted to say, that's not actually correct, not in the United States at least (where perpetual copyright actually isn't allowed by the Constitution). I think you're probably referring to trademark rights, which can exist for perpetuity so long as they're maintained. Copyrighted material enters the public domain after a specific amount of time (assuming of course, Disney allows the current laws to stand once the rights for their early works finally begin to lapse Laughing).
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Right. The Harmony Gold/Robotech problem is about Trademarks, not copyright. Big West owns the copyrights to the Macross story, also then control all the Macross trademarks in Japan (specially the title, UN Spacy logos, space craft designs, etc...)

Harmony Gold has control of various essential Macross trademarks in the US. Most problematic the ability use 'Macross'. Apparently they also thought they had the trade marks on various ship designs, but apparently the Hasbro lawsuit says they don't.

I believe, technically Harmony Gold does own the copyrights on all the Robotech edited content. But since they don't have trademarks on various things, they can only make non-visual reference to those events. I think.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Robotech was what got me into anime. Without it I would have never discovered the anime world. I even read the novels too. I would love for there to be more Robotech anime.

That said, Harmony Gold hasn't really done anything. Making pilots for series is useless. You make the series and live or die by it. So even if they make their funding level, I don't hold too much hope by it.

Nothing happened after their last pilot either. Harmony Gold and their writers need to have passion for their property, and the WILL to take the risk. Otherwise it will just be another half hearted effort.

I see Robotech and Macross as two separate series. I loved Macross Plus and Macross Frontier. Just as mad as everyone else, that Frontier will never be brought over or other future Macross endeavors.

But I don't wish for them to fail, you never know, they might surprise us someday. As unlikely as it may seem now, you might rue the day you cursed them.
Dfens

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I remember when I was about 3 years old watching Robotech good times, being one on my favorite if not number 1 during the 80's and buying a bunch of the toys. But even as a kid knew that something seemed off when I liked the Macross part the most and the other 2 parts just didn't seem right which I learned when the internet dial up came around in the mid 90's the ugly truth and that I was not crazy.

They won't get a penny from me and I hope it fails and this will put the final nail in the coffin for Harmony Gold. I went to the last 2 appearances of Carl and his Robotech panels and both times he and his stupid company were so delusional about people still caring about Robotech and that they could put out new products and media for the franchise. I was only their to kill time and just to see what it was about since I grew up with the show.

Many years latter still no new books, media, or toys etc for Robotech because no one wants them and they have no means to produce them other then this desperate attempt with a kickstarter. We want Macross why can't you let the Japanese release Macross and you focus on your dead franchise Robotech and let us fans have the series we want.

The last thing I bought for Robotech many many years ago was a prequel to Robotech or something like Macross Zero in comic book trade paperback form. It was all color, extremely well drawn/written and had a short epilogue before the 2nd act were it was bastarized. This is what they should focus on something that is cheap and easy to produce not waste time and money on actually media/animation that is never going to happen. They could get it out in a timely fashion cough cough maybe and at least it would satisfy the old farts who still cling to Robotech and this would be their fix.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:37 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
I just want releases of Macross, is this too much to ask? It's disappointing to see them still clinging to Robotech brand name out of nostalgia. It just makes me hate the 80s and 90s nostalgia bandwagon even more when people refuse to let that stuff die off in favor of progression.
I can't help but agree. This person would rather see the other Macross series. Robotech is nothing more than a jumbled mess in my eyes.
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Can't someone sue this company out of existence, please?
analogk37

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Before anyone is convinced that this won't get $500K, you might want to check the other Robotech kickstarter and see how much money that raised:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rrpgt/robotech-rpg-tacticstm?ref=discovery

If they even get a third of that amount, they'll be funded. And this was for a board game. A Board Game!!! Wink
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Shippoyasha wrote:
Can't someone sue this company out of existence, please?

The trouble is, the kinds of margins anime licensors live in, it's hard to justify the legal costs for what is ultimately a niche franchise.

Hasbro going to bat and winning is a good first step though. At least Hasbro has money to spend.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:05 pm Reply with quote
HG tried their copyright troll act on Hasbro. Which is kinda like a first grader with glasses picking a fight with Cain Velazquez. Didn't end well.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:03 pm Reply with quote
I love Robotech, I would happily support more Robotech, but only IF they set Macross free in the process. If they had as a reasonable stretch goal that they would release the rights to all Macross series that they never played a role in, like Frontier, then I would totally support this new project, but I cannot in good conscience support them while they are still IP trolling the Macross brand into oblivion.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:51 pm Reply with quote
the classic Robotech was good because of the respective original anime series worked on it,especially Macross,but when HG tries to create their own material,it's always a disaster.If this project gets funded,chances are HG will just deliver another Robotech Sentinels or another Robotech Shadow Chronicles,will you guys really want another of those?
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:57 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Give money to Harmony Gold? HA!! Not a chance. Laughing

This guy deserves your money more than Harmony Gold does: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/324283889/potato-salad

Isn't that against the rules? I thought you weren't allowed to do stuff like this.

How does Harmony Gold still exist? Their biggest money maker was Robotech, and that hasn't been relevant in years. Do they do something else outside of entertainment?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:12 pm Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:

If this project gets funded,chances are HG will just deliver another Robotech Sentinels or another Robotech Shadow Chronicles,will you guys really want another of those?

It's not up to us; it's up to those who fund it. If they want it, they'll fund it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6