• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Sailor Moon Dub Cast Revealed at Anime Expo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually happy about the new cast.

BUT, I'll miss the old one very much. I never thought the old one was terrible at all. And I can still watch it no problem~

Actually, I think Todd Haberkorn as Jadeite is so appropriate, really.
machetecat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I wish at this point that I never read that interview ANN did with Char and them. All this discussion about people coming all over to audition, plus how nice the dubbing studio was made me think they were literally going to the moon and back for this show. Like, with voice actors whose names are known to people outside of the anime community.

And now that I see it's just Bang Zoom + some Texas buddies... Well I don't know if the problem is Viz/BangZoom can't pay enough, or if the audition info was only given out to the anime VA community, but my hopes just went from SPARKLE SPARKLE to "Oh. Cool. Right. Anime. Anime gets anime treatment. Dunno why I figured this one would have been any different."

Last edited by machetecat on Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
LavenderMintRose

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:03 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
I laughed pretty hard. Stephanie Sheh has almost no range to speak of(or she gets typecast a lot. Or roles for women in anime just aren't all that varied. Or all three!)

>no range
>voices Akira Kogami from Lucky Star
>best performance in that dub

Do ya see the issue here?

Anya and Kaguya in Code Geass. (Side note: Makes me wish they're dubbing the Wonderland OVA because Anya is the white rabbit... Usagi... yeah.)

Dying over the cats though, omg. Lulu and Euphy. Also the Dark Kingdom General guys... Lloyd + Kusanagi, Munakata, and Totsuka from K. Perfect. (on the note of voice actors you didn't know had range, check out Todd Haberkorn in K).
Also Cherami Leigh, yay.
LavenderMintRose

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:03 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
I laughed pretty hard. Stephanie Sheh has almost no range to speak of(or she gets typecast a lot. Or roles for women in anime just aren't all that varied. Or all three!)

>no range
>voices Akira Kogami from Lucky Star
>best performance in that dub

Do ya see the issue here?

Anya and Kaguya in Code Geass. (Side note: Makes me wish they're dubbing the Wonderland OVA because Anya is the white rabbit... Usagi... yeah.)

Dying over the cats though, omg. Lulu and Euphy. Also the Dark Kingdom General guys... Lloyd + Kusanagi, Munakata, and Totsuka from K. Perfect. (on the note of voice actors you didn't know had range, check out Todd Haberkorn in K).
Also Cherami Leigh, yay.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:06 pm Reply with quote
- Stephanie Sheh is NO surprise. I'm sure she'll do fine.
- Kate Higgins should be fine as Mercury, but I need to hear more of her work (I've only heard Tails, Sakura, and Saber).
- Cristina Vee as Mars is perfect casting. She's a huge fan too, so I know she'll do the character justice.
- Amanda Celine Miller as Jupes? Not bad. Again, I need to hear more of her work.
- Cherami Leigh as Venus? This was a surprise. I'm sure she'll do fine, but I'm worried she'll sound too young.
- Robbie Daymond I have never heard of. Hopefully he'll do fine as Mamoru. Glad to see a fresh face (also, he's NOT an alias).
- Michelle Ruff should make a fine Luna.
- Johnny Yong Bosch as Artemis is weird casting, but not horrible.
- Danielle Nicole I have also never heard of. Maybe it's really Danielle Judovits working under an alias?
- Ben Diskin as Umino is also no surprise, and very good casting.
- Tara Platt should be alright as Ikkuko. I have no complaints.
- Keith Silverstein as Kenji, again, I have no complaints.
- Nicolas Roye as Shingo? Eek! Where did that come from? Would've rather them cast a woman. Even DiC did that.
- Cindy Robinson as Queen Beryl is interesting. She has a great deep villain voice. Let's just hope she doesn't use her Amy Rose voice. Razz
- Todd Haberkorn as Jadeite, I will need to hear. I always pictured J Michael Tatum voicing him, but I knew that wasn't gonna happen. Todd's voice is a bit too light.
- Liam O'Brien as Nephrite? PERFECT casting!
- Lucien Dodge as Zoisite should be fine, but I'm worried he'll sound too young.
- Patrick Seitz as Kunzite is more perfect casting.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Absolutely perfect cast. Seriously, I'm EXTREMELY hyped for the new dub now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:18 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
- Cristina Vee as Mars is perfect casting. She's a huge fan too, so I know she'll do the character justice.

Heck, she'll probably show up at a few cons in full Sailor Mars cosplay for that matter. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:21 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
I'm actually happy about the new cast.

BUT, I'll miss the old one very much. I never thought the old one was terrible at all. And I can still watch it no problem~

Actually, I think Todd Haberkorn as Jadeite is so appropriate, really.

Same for me. Liking the cast here, but I'll miss the old cast as well, especially ones that started from beginning to the end like Luna and Lita. But it has got me pumped for the new dub.

If the cast carries over for Crystal, then new English dub fans have the best deal of having the same VA for all series.
ani12

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:28 pm Reply with quote
When I first saw the title, I thought it was for Crystal. Anime hyper; I'm guessing they'll be carried over to that one, too.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:31 pm Reply with quote
AWESOME!
TuxedoSam

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm not actually knowledgeable at all of the voice actors and actresses. The only name that I actually know is Christina Vee because I play League of Legends and have watched LoL streams for the past couple years. She did the voice of Riven and attended some previous LoL tournaments.

She has a great voice range. I'm confident she will do well for Sailor Mars.
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm kind of surprised to see Kate Higgin's name on the dub cast. Besides continuing to do Naruto, I don't think she's been doing much, if any new anime in the past few years, at least as far as I've noticed.

I was pretty disappointed when she didn't return for the dubs of Unlimited Blade Works or Fate/Zero. I had kinda assumed that maybe she had retired from anime dubbing.
Sailor Star Dust

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:39 pm Reply with quote
I don't watch dubs too often (I'm assuming Viz'll use the same folks for Crystal?) but the choices sound good. Yukari (Persona 3)* and Adachi (Persona 4) as Luna and Artemis respectively makes my inner-dork happy.

*Michelle Ruff was also Miki in Marmalade Boy. ^^
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I am highly amused by JYB as Artemis. I like the mix of actors I'm seeing here and now looking forward to this dub. I LOVED the old Dic dub, I don't care how cheesy it is, but I feel really confident about the new cast.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Pardon me if this is unkind, but I hope that it's not Bang Zoom; I find that their work tends to leave something to be desired.

It's not Bang Zoom. It's Studiopolis.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7