• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Sailor Moon Dub Cast Revealed at Anime Expo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KowKow

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:16 am Reply with quote
Hmm, very interesting. Being mostly a gamer though, most of the voices I recognize are from "Fire Emblem: Awakening" for Nintendo 3DS.

So Sailor Moon/Usagi is Tharja. Don't think Stephanie Sheh's gonna use her morbid voice for this one.

Sailor Mercury/Ami is Lissa.

Sailor Jupiter/Makoto is Cherche.

Luna happens to be Noire, my favorite 2nd generation character in the game.

Cindy Robinson is Aversa. Aversa's an evil, seductive Dark Flier, so that sounds fitting for voicing Queen Beryl.

Jadeite is male Morgan. Nephrite is Inigo and Kunzite is Basilio. That's all I can think of.
ForeverPurity

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:43 am Reply with quote
Was most of this cast in Bleach?

Oh boy...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TheAnagelic1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:22 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
From voicing Rukia & Ichigo in one cash cow to voicing cats in another. It's not bad but I can't help but laugh at that a bit. Laughing

Somebody is SOOOOO going to do a video on Youtube replacing Luna and Artemis's dialogue with Rukia & Ichigo's. Anime hyper
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:19 am Reply with quote
Hearing Sheh as Orihime shows that she's a great Usagi, being the ditzy crybaby with a bold side (say what you will about Orihime's combat skills, but so many characters would be dead if she never healed them).

For some reason, I totally predicted Vee would voice Sailor Mars. I expected Kate Higgins as Uranus, though. Well, they can always get Mary Elizabeth McGlynn as Uranus, since she's got that husky voice that's good for making females sounding boyish (Naoto in the P4 anime for example).
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:10 am Reply with quote
I never really have seen Sailor Moon out of brief clips or briefly channel surfing. This I will give the view because it has the voices of some of my fave anime beauties: Orihime, Sakura, and Lucy Heartfilia,
rainbowrabbit

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:22 pm Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
It's not really illegal. I mean, it's about as illegal as that video I uploaded from that episode of Monday Night Raw I went to, WWE still hasn't ran me through even though the tickets say "NO RECORDING DEVICES, DON'T YOU DARE RECORD VIDEO OF ANY OF THIS, GODDAMMIT!"

Worse case scenario they just file a copyright complaint and have the video taken down.

I added that disclaimer because some forums are really strict about those discussions. I'm not sure if it was here or possibly the FUNimation forum, but there was a rule against posting YouTube links to harmless videos like anime openings/endings. So I was being cautious.
GekiRed

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:56 pm Reply with quote
purpleocean wrote:
Passing on this, because they didn't get Terri Hawkes to return like so many people WANTED:

https://www.facebook.com/terrihawkesreturn

Are you insane or something!?! So even though the cast's been approved by Naoko Takeuchi herself, you're going to boycott it just because Terri Hawkes isn't in it?
Swirlyd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:27 pm Reply with quote
I now have a reason to buy this box set Smile
WHOOT!
belsabz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:04 pm Reply with quote
SnowWarren wrote:
This comes from someone who saw the redub at the expo and posted their opinion in the Sailor Moon forums.

SoldierOfTheSun wrote:
Guys, I just had a super long day at anime expo but wanted to share a few scattered thoughts after seeing the first two episodes of this new dub at the viz panel.

Overall I thought it was a very good adaptation, if not always a direct translation. For instance in episode 2 when Umino flips up Haruna's skirt, instead of yelling "Now no one will marry me!" (a moment I have always found strangely hilarious) she yells, "I'll never live this down!"

Shingo's voice sounded WAY too mature for a 10 year old boy. At least to my ears. Not sure what inspired Viz to cast an older male instead of woman or young boy actor.

Tuxedo Mask/Mamoru sounds *perfect* although I felt a tinge of fan guilt with Toby Proctor sitting just a few rows away with the rest of the original dub cast in the same room. :blush:

Usagi herself was fine. No real complaints from what I thought to be a very competent if overly cutesy performance. Tracey Moore will always be my number one though! :love:

The rest of the cast all sounded spot on or at least very good. Luna took the most getting used to for me as she sounds nothing like either Jill Frappier from the 90's dub or our beloved original seiyuu Keiko Han.

I will reflect and share some more after I've had a bit of rest this evening!

Just to clarify what was shown: it was the first 2 episodes of the original series with the new English redub? Is this cast going to do both that redub and the English dub for the crystal edition?
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:18 pm Reply with quote
@rainbowrabbit
From what the host said at the Panel when I was there, she explicitly said "No Recording" the new dub eps.

@belsabz
Yes, it was 2 eps. of the new dub, and I think the cast was only mentioned for the Classic/Original version. Not "Crystal" as far as I know.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Just to clarify, while recording an event isn't necessarily illegal, recording a recording is. Video taping the dub at the panel is the exact same as taping a movie in a theater.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Just to clarify, while recording an event isn't necessarily illegal, recording a recording is. Video taping the dub at the panel is the exact same as taping a movie in a theater.

There's the seemingly impossible case of permitted video recording. That is, if I recorded the 1st 2 dub episodes of 2 shows that were agreed upon to appear only on my YT account, I agree for the companies to monitor this and accept the civil/legal consequences if I break that agreement.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:31 pm Reply with quote
NeoStrayCat wrote:
@rainbowrabbit
From what the host said at the Panel when I was there, she explicitly said "No Recording" the new dub eps.

As if that's stopped people in the past.
rainbowrabbit

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Looks like someone was disobedient after all. (And I love you for it, whoever you are.) Very Happy I found a small piece of the dub on YouTube. Stephanie Sheh will have to grow on me. Not necessarily because I think she's bad. It's not always easy adjusting to something new. In fact, I had to get used to Kotono when I started watching the original 10 years ago. So it'll be okay.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
I'm kind of surprised to see Kate Higgin's name on the dub cast. Besides continuing to do Naruto, I don't think she's been doing much, if any new anime in the past few years, at least as far as I've noticed.

I find it even weirder they dropped her as the voice of Tails when she was doing a great job of it. That didn't last long.

In any case, I can't wait to hear this dub! So many familiar names I know and love.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7